Where can I camp/stay near dove lake?

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Where can I camp/stay near dove lake?

Postby Mac351 » Sun 28 Oct, 2018 5:52 pm

I'm walking the overland in early January and all the accommodation near dove lake is booked out. Yes, we should have booked earlier!

I've tried the discovery park, the hotel and the lodge.

Is there anything else I haven't tried? Is there anywhere I can just pitch a tent near the trailhead?

Thanks!
Mac351
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Where can I camp/stay near dove lake?

Postby Nuts » Mon 29 Oct, 2018 7:31 am

No, not really anything in the National Park.. What is the earliest you can pick up the OL pass?, you could divert from the track to the Lk Rodway hut for the pre-night?
Surprised there's no campsites at the campground, if you post your dates you may find someone willing to double up campsites or multi-bed rooms (eg @ Waldheim).
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Mac351 » Mon 29 Oct, 2018 8:15 am

Thanks for the ideas. Scott Kilvert/Lake Rodway hut is a good idea. I assume I'd need to extend my overland pass to be able to camp there.
Mac351
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Nuts » Mon 29 Oct, 2018 8:47 am

No pass needed for SK hut, just your parks permit. You just need to arrive at Waterfall Valley hut on your first permitted night. You would need to check you can get the Overland Pass that day/afternoon before though (not sure on this). I'd also keep an eye on those accommodation places as well, they often free up in the final 2 wks.

http://svc053.bookeasy.com/accomgrid_condensed.asp
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mark F » Mon 29 Oct, 2018 3:42 pm

You can collect your pass after 3pm on the day before. If you then jump on a shuttle to Dove Lake you can be at SK hut well before dark. Next day continue up to the Cradle - Barn Bluff divide to rejoin the olt. You can then head back along the track without packs to climb Cradle, climb Barn Bluff or continue to Windermere and have an extra day when you get the the Pelion area etc.
When I took my partner though a few years ago we had atrocious weather on Day 1 so headed across to SK hut from Dove Lake. Then day 2, as things were a bit clagged for climbing peaks headed to WIndemere, but were able to have a spare day at Pelion when the weather was great.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Mac351 » Mon 29 Oct, 2018 3:52 pm

Thanks Nuts and Mark.

It would also mean a much gentler 'Cradle summit' day being closer to the foot of the climb, and having more of the day without packs.
Mac351
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby geoskid » Mon 29 Oct, 2018 6:19 pm

Mac351 wrote:I'm walking the overland in early January and all the accommodation near dove lake is booked out. Yes, we should have booked earlier!

I've tried the discovery park, the hotel and the lodge.

Is there anything else I haven't tried? Is there anywhere I can just pitch a tent near the trailhead?

Thanks!

Pity you were not going all the way to Cockle Creek - you could camp anywhere you liked. As you are not going all the way to Cockle Creek, camp where you like, just don't make a song and dance about it, and perhaps move off the track a bit.
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain