Tent question

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Tent question

Postby Zzoe » Tue 02 Oct, 2018 3:26 pm

Hi All

My husband and I, and our two boys (12 ands 8 ) are going to take eight days on the Overland Track around Easter next year. I'm just wondering- for those familiar with it at this time of the year- if a Zpacks Triplex tent will be okay for the task?

Many thanks in advance!
Last edited by Zzoe on Tue 02 Oct, 2018 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zzoe
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Re: Tent question

Postby Warin » Tue 02 Oct, 2018 5:38 pm

Zzoe wrote:Hi All

My husband and I, and our two boys (12 ands 8) are going to take eight days on the Overland Track around Easter next year. I'm just wondering- for those familiar with it at this time of the year- if a Zpacks Triplex tent will be okay for the task?

Cannot answer your question. But ...
it might be helpfull if you mention that you have this tent .. or your thinking of buying it for the trip :?:
If you already have the tent then the assessment can be on that tent alone.
If your thinking of buying then there may be suggestions of others more suitable/cheaper.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Zzoe » Tue 02 Oct, 2018 6:09 pm

Hi Warin and thanks for the response.

We already have a ZPacks Triplex and an ancient Macpac Minaret. My husband also has a ZPacks pocket tarp. He likes to sleep under that but the kids and I are usually in the tent together. The tent does take all of us fairly comfortably, though; and when it's wet we're ll in the triplex together, and we pitch the tarp for our boots and packs. It's also handy to cook under.

Soooo... I'd rather not go buying another tent (in light of the second mortgage we took out to cover the cost of all that cuben fibre). But am also ready to be told that a single skin tent won't cut it. My husband has done a lot of snow and mountain hiking in his younger days, but not with a family in tow.
Zzoe
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Tue 02 Oct, 2018 7:06 pm

I think at that time of year you are probably going to be ok. Of course you could get snow but it's usually pretty light/uncommon at that time of year. There are a number of huts you can stay near in case of bad weather too, I'd say go with it.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Zzoe » Tue 02 Oct, 2018 8:20 pm

Thanks for the reassurance.

To celebrate that I worked out how to post a photograph (I think), here is a picture of a rainy-night set up (complete with peacefully sleeping in child):

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (168.69 KiB) Viewed 17741 times
Zzoe
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Nuts » Wed 03 Oct, 2018 9:54 am

That's an unusual looking beak /shelter/ thingy, watch for the wind direction it should be ok I guess.
Just to add advice- to beware of our possums, they tend to harass any open shelter or left out kitchen or food items.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Warin » Wed 03 Oct, 2018 11:45 am

Nuts wrote:That's an unusual looking beak /shelter/ thingy,

Dog house for hubby? :lol:
Sorry .. but it was there.
That is the pocket tarp they mentioned above.

-----------------
At that time of year should be ok.
If the weather turns bad be early into the huts as they can fill up. And take ear plugs for the snorers.
Can get very windy but I think all the official tent spots are well sheltered.
If it does come to the worst pitch the fly down to the ground, rather than up, as that should help keep out some of the rain/wind.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Zzoe » Wed 03 Oct, 2018 12:14 pm

Thanks Warin and Nuts

I guess it does look a bit odd, but it's incredibly useful. We just finished a pretty long hike and had rain on 24 out of 28 days. On the days when the rain was relentless- all day and really pouring down- it was extremely useful to pitch the tarp and sit under to have lunch. My husband and I have a bit for storage to burn but the kid are already whippet-lean, and tend to need reliable fuelling up. So yes... wierd but happily so.... fitting into a pocket (it lives up to its claim), and wieghing 96 grams it works well :)
Zzoe
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby TentPeg » Thu 04 Oct, 2018 8:11 pm

Hi Zzoe.
Congrats on the triplex. I have a duplex and would put good money on its capacity in Tassie condition against other tent types and styles.
The value of the overland is the provision of tent platforms in good locations. Most of those have gaps between the slats and clouts in the gaps to hook a rope onto. You may need to think of an alternative for those platforms without gaps and or nails.
Using walking poles as tent poles allows you to pitch the tent according to prevailing breezes and maximise both shelter and air circulation.
Snow would be no problem for you.
I love my duplex - enjoy your walk.
TentPeg
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby bobcrusader » Sat 06 Oct, 2018 9:59 am

Grab a bunch of tent anchors of ebay or Aliexpress for the platforms. The screw-in cup hook option is fine, but they can pull out of the platform if the wind gets up.

You can use the storage area of the huts for bags, food and boots to give you more room in the tent and prevent the possums tearing your expensive tent apart looking for food. You can cook in the huts too if the weather is no good. For an 8 day trip, you'll pretty much always be using the tent platforms near a hut.
bobcrusader
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Postby Zzoe » Sun 07 Oct, 2018 1:52 am

Thanks Tentpeg and Bobcrusader...

Yes, we do love this tent to bits. I've done a few four day hikes as the sole adult with both the kids, and this wouldn't have been possible without the Triplex. On our most recent hike our 11 year old son carried it in his rucksack the whole 450km (unheard of with our old hiking tent- the Department of Community Services would have been notified). And it really, truly does sleep the whole family of four, in comfort.

I'll look for anchors and take a bagful. Do the platforms ever become full, and what happens in that situation? I must say we prefer the tent to huts, most of the time. Are the huts quite rat proof? We had three packs attacked recently, completely chomped through; and they didn't even have any food in them at all!
Zzoe
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby bobcrusader » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 7:21 am

If the platforms are full, you just use the huts or try and find a suitable site. The booking system means there is room for everyone, but first come, first served. In the bigger huts, you might even all get a room to yourself. Only the 'group booking' group can and must use the group booking tent platform area. On our trip in January there were spare tent platforms every night.

I didn't notice rats on my walk - some mice, though and possums and tiger snakes. But the huts are mostly possum-proof and have a beam or poll to hang your hamper (and rubbish) from, so make sure you have a food bag that can be hung (eg a dry bag)
bobcrusader
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Postby Warin » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 8:41 am

If the platforms are full .. then I'd look at the group platforms.

Rules - made for the guidance of the wise, the obedience of fools.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 2:22 pm

There are rats at Echo Point and Narcissus. But many OT walkers don't stay at either of those huts.

I'm not aware of rat problems at any of the other OT huts.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby L_Cham_67 » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 2:44 pm

I've had rats or mice (a rodent of sorts) chew through my tent in search of food at Pelion Hut. They didn't find any food the first time, but the night after, they decided chewing through my pack was a good idea as well!
L_Cham_67
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 3:00 pm

Warin wrote:If the platforms are full .. then I'd look at the group platforms.

You'll feel a bit foolish when surrounded by a full tour or school group arriving late. :)

tour groups, to be fair, pay similar rates without access to even stay in the public huts (I know, who'd a thunk it)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 3:09 pm

Zzoe wrote:
I'll look for anchors and take a bagful. Do the platforms ever become full, and what happens in that situation? I must say we prefer the tent to huts, most of the time.

You'll want the longer ones such as: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10pcs-78mm- ... :rk:1:pf:0

If the platforms are ever full it will very likely be in good weather and there are a few non-platform camp spots around. It's not likely a problem, given the restricted numbers, other than at Pelion (where there aren't many platforms anyway).
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Warin » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 3:26 pm

Nuts wrote:
Warin wrote:If the platforms are full .. then I'd look at the group platforms.

You'll feel a bit foolish when surrounded by a full tour or school group arriving late. :)

Chances?
They would have to be travelling faster than me (or whoever).
That is possible. But usually I'd then be arriving early enough to get a platform, fingers crossed.

I think I'd look foolish .. to some. Doubtful that I'd feel it :twisted:
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain