Bivy bag on OT?

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Bivy bag on OT?

Postby Lones » Tue 22 May, 2018 7:13 pm

Hi all,
I’m just starting to think seriously about doing the OT. I’m wondering if it would be ok to just take a bivy bag? I’d be planning to not use the huts unless I really had to. I’ve just bought an Outdoor Research Alpine bivy.... I haven’t tried it out yet but I have a good Exped May, which fits inside, and a decent sleeping bag. What do people think?
Lones
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Bivy bag on OT?

Postby SergeantMcFly » Tue 22 May, 2018 11:10 pm

Give it a go on an overnight or two before hand if you haven't ever used one before and see how you feel about it. If you're generally comfortable using a bivvy then by all means!
SergeantMcFly
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby wayno » Wed 23 May, 2018 5:51 am

try it out. they arent great for condensation especially when the weather is mild or its raining... for not much extra weight you could get an ultralight tarptent
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Lones » Wed 23 May, 2018 4:29 pm

Mmm thanks.... I’ll definitely try it out first, am hoping to head out overnight somewhere this weekend to start with :) Reckon I’d take a tarp too.....
Lones
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Nuts » Wed 23 May, 2018 5:09 pm

I like bivy bags and the OR's resp +ve bivies are the best I used. Taking one on the OL track is a good idea if mostly planning to use the huts. In anything but ideal weather using one will otherwise be a chore, as will setting up a tarp to try to improve your camp, compared with otherwise taking a lightweight tent. I'd suggest trying out in rain, rain and cold even better (including setup and pack up).
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain