Hartnett Falls to Junction Lake Hut

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Hartnett Falls to Junction Lake Hut

Postby Crimmo » Wed 28 Feb, 2018 5:08 pm

Hi, I would like to gets some opinions and knowledge in regard to walking from Hartnett Falls along the Mersey River and up to Junction Lake Hut. I have done the complete track walk back in 2014 and looking to venture off into the Walls of Jerusalem after Hartnett Falls. Has anyone experience in travelling this area, I am hoping to follow the river without any GPS assistance and make it up to Junction Lake Hut.
Thanks for any guidance.
Crimmo
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Hartnett Falls to Junction Lake Hut

Postby Paul » Wed 28 Feb, 2018 5:40 pm

My advice is -at the falls area, cross to the eastern side of Mersey River, follow it upstream till it swings around to an easterly direction, follow it on the north side, keeping out of the teatree by being along the edge of the rainforest and then you should further on meet the track ( beside the river ) up to Junction Lake.

Paul.
Paul
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Crimmo » Thu 01 Mar, 2018 9:58 pm

Thanks for the advice Paul
Crimmo
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Postby rodb2013 » Sun 29 Apr, 2018 9:38 pm

We hiked from Lees Paddock up to OLT, along that a bit, down to the falls and only the Mersey to JLH. Rained the whole way and we were covered in leaches. It's called the Never Never because you will never never go back. The trails on both sides are wombat height. When you first see the hut from a distance it looks easy to get to but isn't. Was a long day and great to get to the hut as the rain continued all night. The clear plastic wrap on the walls lets you see the huge spiders in detail up close. Too tired to worry and slept well. A few leach gum balls in the bag in the morning. The forest on the way up to Cloister Lagoon was fantastic.
rodb2013
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain