Day walks from Narcissus Bay

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Day walks from Narcissus Bay

Postby _mmals » Mon 05 Feb, 2018 1:06 pm

Hello all..
Just after a bit of advice regarding potential day walks from Narcissus Bay. Tentative plan is to take the ferry from Cynthia Bay, set up camp in one of the camping areas near the hut / jetty, do a day walk, spend the night and return the following day by ferry...with our two year old son who I'll be carrying. I was thinking the walk to Lake Marion might be good option but am open to other suggestions. I suppose the major issues are that we meet the OT usage guidelines and have a reasonably easy egress back to Narcissus Bay if things go pear shaped.

Any insight and ideas welcomed
_mmals
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australia

Re: Day walks from Narcissus Bay

Postby north-north-west » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 9:51 am

Lake Marion and/or Gould Plateau. If you have the time a wander up the Pine Valley track can also be very rewarding.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 10:27 am

Is there a defined track going up to Lake Marion? None were recorded on OSM.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby north-north-west » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 11:32 am

There are well defined and signposted tracks to both Marion and the Gould Plateau, which is why I suggested them. You don't take a toddler off-track.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Tortoise » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 1:26 pm

north-north-west wrote:Lake Marion and/or Gould Plateau. If you have the time a wander up the Pine Valley track can also be very rewarding.

I walked the Gould Plateau and Lk Marion tracks in April last year. Iirc, both were a little overgrown in places. I imagine mud would be less of a problem at the moment, but there was a fair bit of it to negotiate on the Lk Marion track. (I reckon it'd be worth thinking about using poles in case there's any sliding around to be done while carrying a toddler.) Overall, I don't think the walk itself is nice enough to warrant the extra effort with a toddler.

I think the Gould Plateau track was in better nick (and has delightful views in good weather), though Toddler may get a face full of scoparia or cutting grass in places. I think you might be best to stick to better-maintained tracks, like to Pine Valley (do go down to the helipad if you get in that far), or Echo Point, checking out all the spots where you can access the lake itself on the way.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 3:10 pm

north-north-west wrote:There are well defined and signposted tracks to both Marion and the Gould Plateau, which is why I suggested them. You don't take a toddler off-track.

Thanks. Surprised it's not on OSM.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Wed 07 Feb, 2018 2:08 pm

What is OSM?
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tortoise » Wed 07 Feb, 2018 2:27 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:What is OSM?

Open Street Map. Depends on people uploading files. Some guys who used to be members here did a lot of work on that. But there are still lots of Tassie tracks that aren't on it. Not sure if PWS have been involved, but I'd expect they wouldn't have time/(money) to prioritise something like that.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Warin » Wed 07 Feb, 2018 2:41 pm

Tortoise wrote:
ILUVSWTAS wrote:What is OSM?

Open Street Map. Depends on people uploading files.

Contributors to OSM can also use satellite imagery (when the path shows up {tree cover, overgrown and clouds all hide paths and tracks}) and Strava (where people have their tracks on Strava). There are a number of sources that are suitable and legal to use in OSM other than your own GPS tracks.
This means someone from the other side of the world can edit your map... can lead to errors caused by lack of local knowledge. I can see the possibility of a roo path across Sydney Harbor Bridge now. :)
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 07 Feb, 2018 4:02 pm

That was quick, someone has added the track on OSM over the last few days. Previously I've tried aerial imagery but couldn't identify anything to work on. Great, thanks to whoever that did it.

Add: Thanks Tastrax for adding it!

OSM is a really worthwhile resource given it can be downloaded and displayed as the base map on Garmin GPS units. It's my go to map both here in Australia as well as overseas. Commonly, I would edit tracks as well as other topo data before a trip and then have them available in the latest OSM update. Serve the people as well as self. More should be involved.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Wed 07 Feb, 2018 4:30 pm

#goodgrief #whatstheworldcomingto # :roll: :roll: :roll:
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby _mmals » Wed 07 Feb, 2018 5:31 pm

Thanks for the replies.
Its safe to say Lake Marion is out. I think Pine Valley is going to be the go. I definitely agree that sticking to a main trail is a more sensible option as well. Anyways, looking to go late Feb or early March so will repost re how things went. I'll keep an eye on the thread if anyone has any other suggestions/comments/etc
_mmals
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australia

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain