Launceston to Ronny Creek itinerary

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Launceston to Ronny Creek itinerary

Postby Joel1982 » Thu 06 Jul, 2017 3:33 pm

Just planning for the OLT early next year and want some insight from those who have done it before on how to get from the airport in Launceston to the start of the track at Ronny Creek.

I would expect to fly into Launceston around 10am and be at the start of the track the next day as early as possible.

I might be bringing some friends along or might be solo. Either way, I'm planning for solo so I'm ready for that.

On to the questions:

Do you stay in Launceston or at Cradle Mountain or somewhere in between? Suggestions for cheap and easy accommodation for the night?

Where do you get supplies from? Shellite, some food, water, last minute minor gear? For those who come from interstate, are you prevented from bringing anything on the plane aside from fuel?

How do you travel between? TassieLink? Shuttles? Again, looking for cheap but still need to get there within my timeframe. I realise that some people organise ride shares through this forum and I will send the call out when the time comes, but I want to be prepared in case people are put off by my body odour ;)

How much time should I allow for processing at the visitors centre?

Thanks in advance!
Joel1982
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: Launceston to Ronny Creek itinerary

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 06 Jul, 2017 3:51 pm

For two of your questions...

You cannot bring any fresh food into Tasmania.

The following gear shops in Launceston are all very close to the city centre (roughly in order of my personal preference):
  • Allgoods
  • Mountain Designs
  • Paddy Palin
  • Macpac
  • Kathmandu
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby Mark F » Thu 06 Jul, 2017 4:17 pm

If possible stay at Cradle rather than in Launceston as you can pick up your track pass after about 3 or 4pm on the day before departure which frees you up to start nice and early the next morning. The extra time on the track after an early start can be put to far better use than time hanging around Launceston.

My experience was that it took about 20 minutes after arrival at the visitors centre to have a look around and get your pass. It may be a bit longer in the morning as other walkers and tourists descend.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Geevesy » Thu 06 Jul, 2017 4:25 pm

Mark F wrote:If possible stay at Cradle rather than in Launceston as you can pick up your track pass after about 3 or 4pm on the day before departure which frees you up to start nice and early the next morning.

I recommend a G&T at the lodge :D 8)
A path! A path!
Geevesy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby johnk1 » Thu 06 Jul, 2017 9:15 pm

Hi Joel,

If you are planning to stay in Launceston, Son of a Beach is right.

Allgoods has everything you need and is the best in my opinion.

Outdoor Tasmania are fantastic when it comes to travel arrangements. You can book with them and they will aim to get as many people as possible to fill their bus.

All the best.

John
johnk1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Joel1982 » Fri 07 Jul, 2017 12:34 pm

Thanks everybody. Outdoor Tasmania does look pretty good. They stop in Deloraine for food...what's there?
Joel1982
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain