The New Pelion "Long Drop" residents!!!

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

The New Pelion "Long Drop" residents!!!

Postby tasadam » Mon 03 Aug, 2009 11:38 am

OK if you don't want to read about a gross toilet experience, don't read any further. You have been warned.

I know you're still reading...
This discussion serves as a reminder about keeping the hut area clean...
Went to New Pelion Hut late July 09, spent 3 nights there so used the longdrop outhouse 3 times.
Finished the deed, and was doing the paperwork, when I thought I saw something move below me. I looked in, though that's something I try and avoid usually.
There are resident rodents living in there, feeding on the warm breakfast I had just served (you were warned).
I told my wife, she didn't believe me. I finally convinced here and she was adamant they must have been feeding on the rice husks.
It was something she had to witness herself to be convinced.
There is an image of SEVEN rodents feeding on a "warm breakfast" that I had deposited, firmly embedded in my brain that I think I might have to burn out with a bit of serious drinking.

The point is, these rodents have got to be full of the worst kind of germs and disease possible.
The last thing anyone would want is for these to take up residence in the huts, spreading their diseases and germs.
Keep the huts clean, for goodness sake, give these rodents NO reason to come looking.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac
Region: Tasmania

Re: The New Pelion "Long Drop" residents!!!

Postby kramster » Mon 03 Aug, 2009 12:39 pm

Yep... I remember seeing those furry-critters (or their ancestors) on a similar "hunter-gatherer" experience when at Pelion in June 08. At the time I didn't really want to hang around to contemplate things much.
Quite icky really... but at least its not quite as "special" as the maggot-ridden-crawling-short-drop hatch on South Coast trk :p
kramster
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby photohiker » Mon 03 Aug, 2009 12:51 pm

I saw their grandparents when I was there in 2006.

Wherever you have man, you have Rat. Would you be any happier if they were there but you couldn't see them?
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Mon 03 Aug, 2009 12:53 pm

Several toilets on the OLTthat use rice husks have resident rodents and have done so for many years so you need to be aware of the rodents main predators when you go out at night especially and I dont mean the Boobooks :shock: :lol:
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby Penguin » Mon 03 Aug, 2009 2:34 pm

Having seen these little inhabitants in teh old new Pelion hut, and more recently in and about the toilets, I have been told by many "authorities" that these furry creatures are "marsupial" rats. From childhood memories near the docks with my grandparents - the ones I saw had much stronger EU/Captain Cook connections rather than having links to any longer term Australian residents.

Toilets in the bush are a long term problem with little simple solution. I am still shaking my head from when walking four day track in the South Island of NZ and in the middle finding a flushing toilet.

The last time I met a ranger at Pelion, he was suggessting we all carry pooh tubes.

Has anybody got any other ideas because I am not sure the idea of the tubes appeals to me. But then I do have a bit of chronic cholonitis.....

P
Penguin
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Nuts » Mon 03 Aug, 2009 2:47 pm

tasadam wrote:There is an image of SEVEN rodents feeding on a "warm breakfast" that I had deposited

I bet they had big 'grins'

I believe there are ordinary house mice also, though ive never got close enough to check ears n tails. It wouldnt be a suprise that they could come in with the husks....
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Mon 03 Aug, 2009 2:53 pm

Content removed by poster
Last edited by Ent on Fri 12 Nov, 2010 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasadam » Mon 03 Aug, 2009 2:56 pm

Penguin wrote:The last time I met a ranger at Pelion, he was suggessting we all carry pooh tubes.

Has anybody got any other ideas because I am not sure the idea of the tubes appeals to me.

I am in fact working on an idea with a company at the moment, so stay tuned for another topic covering this issue, or if it's ready for discussion now feel free to start an appropriate discussion.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 03 Aug, 2009 2:58 pm

There are actually two species of native rats in Tasmania. One of these is quite common in some bushwalking areas (I've had one cleaning up a porridge bowl after breakfast at lake Cygnus - and it's a very cute animal, quite different to the introduced ones - I hope it hadn't been visiting the other facilities first).

The introduced rats and mice are also very common in some bushwalking areas, and they've become a real pest. I've heard that the introduced ones are more likely to be interested in dirty deeds, but that's probably an old wives tale based on wishful thinking.

So does the increase in rats/mice around camping areas result in increase in snake numbers around camping areas?
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Nuts » Mon 03 Aug, 2009 3:03 pm

A biodegradable bag is being used in NZ.. Iv'e had discussions here though not seen as a big deal, very few 'go' once away from the huts, its all in how you describe the process, who holds the shovel and doles out the paper... a gentle reminder in the morning is usually enough. I could count the 'away from throne' deposits each season on one hand. Different situation with private parties...
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Mon 03 Aug, 2009 6:58 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:[.

So does the increase in rats/mice around camping areas result in increase in snake numbers around camping areas?

The old toilets at Pelion and Kiaora were a case in point and in fact on a nice sunny day at Kiaora if you go to the site of the old toilet you can still see several Tigers having a snooze in the little sunny hollow :)
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby the_camera_poser » Mon 03 Aug, 2009 8:49 pm

What kind of photographer are you? where's our photo?

My question is- if they like your deposits more than others, will they follow you from hut to hut? Tasadam- a moveable feast!

LMAO LMAO
the_camera_poser

Postby tasadam » Tue 04 Aug, 2009 9:50 am

the_camera_poser wrote:What kind of photographer are you? where's our photo?

My question is- if they like your deposits more than others, will they follow you from hut to hut? Tasadam- a moveable feast!

LMAO LMAO

OK TCP, you asked for this.
Need I remind you I use Nikon gear? You need a Canon to shoot crap photos! :lol: :lol: :lol:
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby the_camera_poser » Tue 04 Aug, 2009 11:31 am

tasadam wrote:
the_camera_poser wrote:What kind of photographer are you? where's our photo?

LMAO LMAO

OK TCP, you asked for this.
Need I remind you I use Nikon gear? You need a Canon to shoot crap photos! :lol: :lol: :lol:

LMAO

Using your Nikon would have been like using a camoflagued camera! :lol:
the_camera_poser

Postby flyfisher » Fri 07 Aug, 2009 10:37 pm

Need I remind you I use Nikon gear? You need a Canon to shoot crap photos!

Great response Adam :lol: :lol: :lol:

FF
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain