first timer overland: lots of questions

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

first timer overland: lots of questions

Postby Hasford » Sun 26 Jul, 2009 10:49 pm

Hi all,
I’m Thomas and very new on this forum.
My girlfriend and me are coming to Australia (from Belgium) and we’re planning to walk the overland track in Oktober(2009) north to south (we land in Devonport). I browsed the forum quickly but I still have quite a few questions. So here it goes.

- What temp-rates can I expect during days/nights? So cold we’d need a down jacket?
- Are gaiters really necessary?
- Are our -10°C goosedown bags sufficient for that time period?
- Is it advised to carry EPIRB’s? And how many people will there be on the track in that period, enough to avoid carrying the EPIRB?
- We land in Devonport, does anyone knows a good hostel or a reasonably prices place to sleep?
- Where can we get supplies (food and fuel) before we start the walk (Devonport or nearby)? Any specialized hiking-stores with trekking food in the neighborhood?
- Can we get our extra luggage (which we won’t need during the walk)to be sent at te endpoint of the track
- Will we have to cross any rivers; what can we expect?

- Feel free to give any advice you would think I might need!!

Kind regards,
Thomas
Hasford
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Re: first timer overland: lots of questions

Postby Clownfish » Sun 26 Jul, 2009 11:31 pm

Hi Thomas,

I'm planning to head up there around that time, too. It'll be the first time on the Overland for us, as well, even though we've done a lot of walking in Tasmania.

Anyway, I'll answer some of your questions as best I can:

Temperatures - According to the Bureau of Meteorology, averages at that time of year are from about 4C at night to 12C during the day, although it can (and probably will) drop below zero at night, and possibly climb over 15 or more during the day.

Gaiters: Yes. I'd always considered them an unnecessary indulgence until I borrowed a pair a few years back.

Sleeping Bags: I'm hoping everyone else will say "yes", or I'm in trouble!

I would personally advise an EPIRB. Don't rely on other people having one. "Same principle as a condom. I'd rather have one and not need it, than need it and not have it." - Alien vs. Predator

I can't answer your other questions, but I think Devonport would be the place to buy your supplies.

As for river crossings, as far as I'm aware, there aren't any. Recent news seems to suggest that some of the boardwalks aren't in very good repair at the moment - can anyone else confirm on this?

I should also add: Hope you enjoy your trip, and maybe we'll see you there!
Clownfish
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby samh » Sun 26 Jul, 2009 11:49 pm

Hi Thomas,
I'm myself coming from Europe but study here for a while. I've done the Overland track in June this year and it was great. In Devonport there are a few outdoor shops if you want that special freeze dried outdoor food. There is Allgoods and Mountain Designs, another outdoor shop (Backpackers Barn) is just closing down, so that wont be a lot of helo for you. But you can also get some dried meals in the supermarket. About the weather conditions in October I can't say a lot except that it can probably all 4 seasons in one day. I think with your -10 degree sleeping bag you will be fine. I would suggest you to bring your gaiters, it can be very muddy on parts of the track. There are however no real "rivers" to cross and there are bridges for the creeks which you have to cross. I'm not sure about the luggage thing, others may can help you with that. Maybe some real Tasmanians here in the forum can give you some more advice.

EDIT: Oh I wasn't quick enough
samh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tasadam » Mon 27 Jul, 2009 4:22 pm

My thoughts on this -

- What temp-rates can I expect during days/nights? So cold we’d need a down jacket?
If you can justify the weight, certainly stuff them in. Weather is never a set pattern down here and it can do anything.

- Are gaiters really necessary?
I would agree yes. I don't do any walks without them.

- Are our -10°C goosedown bags sufficient for that time period?
Sounds good enough to me - if you get cold in that you have your spare set of clothes, right? And worst case, your down jacket / vest too.

- Is it advised to carry EPIRB’s? And how many people will there be on the track in that period, enough to avoid carrying the EPIRB?
Advised? Yes. Mandatory? No. But given the remotenss you will be in, I would recommend taking one - hiring one is the best option.

- We land in Devonport, does anyone knows a good hostel or a reasonably prices place to sleep?
Plenty of time to do some googling for you if this doesn't get answered beforehand.

- Where can we get supplies (food and fuel) before we start the walk (Devonport or nearby)? Any specialized hiking-stores with trekking food in the neighborhood?
Has been answered well. Maybe I can dig out a map and show you addresses if you need so ask, ok?

- Can we get our extra luggage (which we won’t need during the walk)to be sent at the endpoint of the track
I am not sure on this, the bus company would be the best one to find out. Surely they cater for this sort of thing as I bet you are not alone in this request.

- Will we have to cross any rivers; what can we expect?
Rivers and streams are all bridged - no swimming required. Expect a track that consists of walking over a mixture of boardwalk, rock paths, rooted slippery forest floor mess, ankle-deep mud, rocky terrain, etc. Some steep sections but the trick is to not overdo it, you are there to enjoy it so take your time.

- Feel free to give any advice you would think I might need!!
Apart from what you have asked already, I think most of it has been covered pretty well elsewhere with a bit of searching other topics or other resources.
The "horror stories" are along the lines of people doing the walk without a sleeping mat, wearing jeans and no gaiters, taking a stove they've never used before and having someone help fix it halfway along the track to avoid eating cold food, many other stories.

There are some good guidebooks available -
John Chapman writes the Overland Track book
Frankinoz has a blog where he has put together an e-book
The Parks site has plenty of info
Who knows what else is out there.

Hope that helps.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby north-north-west » Mon 27 Jul, 2009 8:18 pm

- Can we get our extra luggage (which we won’t need during the walk)to be sent at the endpoint of the track
I am not sure on this, the bus company would be the best one to find out. Surely they cater for this sort of thing as I bet you are not alone in this request.

The bus company takes unaccompanied luggage - well, it did in May, there were a couple of lonely suitcases travelling with us. Make sure the Parks Centre at LSC knows it's going to be there, though.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Hasford » Mon 27 Jul, 2009 9:21 pm

Thanks a lot for the advice guys, I appreciate it.

@ Clownfish: with a bit of luck we'll meet on the trail. I'm starting the ninth of oktober at ronnycreek,
@samh: thanks for the freeze-dried food-options, i'ts exactly what I was looking for.

@tasadam: thanks for the structured reply, I'll buy frankinoz' e-book. And I will hire an EPIRB.
We are quit well equipped and I handle my stove (primus omnifuel) for about 4 years now, so no horror tales this time, :)

Considering the consensus about the use of gaitors I'll start looking for a pair.
Hasford
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Chris » Mon 27 Jul, 2009 11:08 pm

The bus company takes unaccompanied luggage - well, it did in May, there were a couple of lonely suitcases travelling with us. Make sure the Parks Centre at LSC knows it's going to be there, though.

This is the bus company Thomas, just in case you haven't tracked it down yet.
http://www.tigerline.com.au/faq.htm
Hope you have a great walk!
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Steve73 » Tue 28 Jul, 2009 3:06 pm

We used Tigerlines in May for transport to the start of the walk and for storing our luggage for pickup at the end. All worked well.

As others have recommended you should definitely take gaiters. There was plenty of mud when we did the track.
Steve73
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Hasford » Tue 28 Jul, 2009 9:06 pm

I'm afraid I can't use tigerline, they don't seem to ride on thursday 08/10/09 or friday 09/10/09. (We're only 9 days in Tasmania, so we don't have time to linger in Devonport.) Apparently they ride only on monday & wendesday. We can't wait that long to start the overland.
http://www.outdoortasmania.com.au/ looks like an alternative, but quite more expensive than tigerline.

any alternatives?
Hasford
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby tasadam » Tue 28 Jul, 2009 10:07 pm

Just to bring to your attention a pictorial account of an Overland crossing just completed and posted by Dave Noble, Here.
That should get you excited.

Re the transport thingy, can you contact these people and see if they can help any further if you give them your dates?
Devonport Visitor Centre.

And their contact page HERE.
Hope that helps.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby tastrax » Wed 29 Jul, 2009 9:35 pm

Maxwells are another choice - also a bit dearer (Devonport - Cradle Mountain, 1-4 Passengers $160) however they will run to your schedule -
and at the other end from Lake St Clair - Devonport, Launceston or Hobart - Lake St Clair, 1-4 Passengers $280

http://maxwell-coaches.com.au/
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain