Dove, Hanson, Rodway, Benson, Kitchen, Marions, Dove Circuit

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Dove, Hanson, Rodway, Benson, Kitchen, Marions, Dove Circuit

Postby dougal73 » Wed 26 Oct, 2016 1:07 pm

Hi all

I'm spending a few days next month at Cradle Mtn and am looking at doing some day walks at and around Cradle Mtn area. One option I am considering is to start at Dove Lake, and go via Lake Hanson, Twisted Lakes, Lake Rodway Track past the lake, rejoin Overland then via Marions lookout and the Marriotts Lookout Link track back down to Dove Lake Carpark. It looks to be a very viable day walk. It looks to be roughly 15 or so km?? But it does looks like some steep sections here and there. But I would like to ask a few q's

- Does anyone have the exact kms?
- Roughly how long was it in time?
- I am toying with the idea of tacking in Cradle Summit, thus I think it may be better to do the reverse direction that I just listed so I go up that fresher and earlier in the day (weather permitting of course)
- Assuming I made the call to not summit on that day (there is a chance I'll do a shorter summit walk on another day), is there are any advantage to do this circuit clockwise or anti-clockwise?
- Any other suggestions, gotchas etc to keep an eye out for?
dougal73
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Dove, Hanson, Rodway, Benson, Kitchen, Marions, Dove Cir

Postby Nuts » Wed 26 Oct, 2016 2:56 pm

I'm not sure of the distance. It's mostly good track so the time will vary significantly. What you propose is a common longish day walk. If there is any weather forecast i'd climb the mtn first as you mention. It often gets swamped with cloud if there's any around. There are no real advantages in direction. I do like the sun down in/ behind the mountain in the morning.. and you get really nice sunsets looking west over Barn Bluff..

PS. A nice detour over the ridge to Little Lake Rodway is easy and worthwhile. There's an old track meeting back with the main track up in that valley.
Nice haven for wildlife and just a really pretty spot. Still time to see it before the resort goes in..
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby dougal73 » Wed 26 Oct, 2016 6:36 pm

Ok, thanks Nuts. I have been to Cradle Mtn but years ago and had very young children with me so didn't do much in the way of hiking then. So really the whole area is very much new to me. I'll have a look intoLittle Lake Rodway..sounds interesting. Thanks for the pointer. Resorts? Jeez, the last thing the area needs is more development though...
dougal73
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby MrWalker » Wed 26 Oct, 2016 7:21 pm

I've done the reverse direction, but came over Hansons peak, instead of Hansons Lake as you plan. That was 16km in 6hrs and 10min. Allow a bit extra for Hansons Lake.
I walk quite a lot faster than the average walker, but you probably do too, if you are thinking of adding Cradle Mt as well.
MrWalker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby dougal73 » Thu 27 Oct, 2016 7:59 am

Thanks 'MrWalker'. Yes, I can be quick...Well, I stop and take lots of photos so that slows me up. but then I can push the pace when I need to.
dougal73
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain