Do your feet get wet?

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Do your feet get wet?

Postby Aj23484 » Thu 20 Oct, 2016 11:49 pm

I am planning a trip in late February and just wondering what shoes to wear.
Boots or low cut hiking shoes
Is it likely that I will get wet feet or is it muddy on the track?
Also what sleeping bag for that time of year?
Thanks in advance
Aj23484
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Do your feet get wet?

Postby Hermione » Fri 21 Oct, 2016 7:27 am

It's Tasmania so there's a reasonable chance you'll get wet feet even in February and yes there might be mud but not much by Tasmanian standards because it's a pretty well formed track. Walking shoes would be ok if that's what you normally use. Parks have a suggested gear check list here: -10 http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/file.aspx?id=36840. They recommend a sleeping bag rated to -10, I would usually take something lighter than this for summer, but it depends what you're comfortable with remembering that you could still have snow and fairly cold conditions.
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit"
Hermione
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby jimjim » Fri 21 Oct, 2016 8:37 am

I wore low cut 5 tennie approach shoes (not waterproof) coupled with Tasgear gaiters in early September this year on OLT and Pine Valley / Labyrinth . The track was running with water for at least 1/4 of the total distance.

I got my right foot wet through twice and never went off track or into the scrub to avoid puddles. There are stepping stones and roots everywhere. Walking sticks really helped keep my feet dry.
jimjim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 21 Oct, 2016 8:41 am

There are also a lot of planked sections on the OLT, significantly lowering the chances of wet feet, especially if one is wearing good water proof boots with gaiters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Fri 21 Oct, 2016 8:55 am

It's Tassie. Expect any sort of weather, any time of the year. Though good weather is a little more likely in summer.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Snowzone » Fri 21 Oct, 2016 9:57 am

I think it's more important to walk in what your comfortable in. Well broken in whether shoes or boots. Take some light weight hut shoes or booties to wear of an evening at camp, that way if your boots are wet you at least have something dry to wear. Just try to keep at least one pair of socks dry for camp as well.

As for the sleeping bag, it depends if you feel the cold. I always take my warmest bag to Tassie as you never know what your going to get!
Snowzone
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby Mark F » Fri 21 Oct, 2016 10:15 am

My general approach to Tasmania and most other locations is wear light low cut non-waterproof shoes (in my case Salomon Synapse or X Ultra). Walk though water and the shoes dry out pretty quickly. Chances are your feet are going to get wet anyway and high or waterproof shoes/boots only stop your feet drying. If muddy then a pair of dirty girl gaiters stop the mud getting into the shoes. If seriously off track then maybe high gaiters. Wear the same socks each day, and rinse out each evening, they soon warm up in the morning. A dry pair of socks for camp.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Penguin » Fri 21 Oct, 2016 12:00 pm

+++++ 1 ^
Penguin

Postby Scottyk » Fri 21 Oct, 2016 3:12 pm

if you like having your feet wet then wear low cut trail shoes, you'll have wet feet on the first morning of the first day
Boots will keep your feet dry for a bit longer but only so long. If its not raining this could be days but once it starts to rain nothing will keep your feet dry. Boots never really dry out once they are wet. This is the reality of walking in Tasmania in all seasons.

Sleeping bag around 0 degrees rating should be fine, remembering that you can always wear dry thermals to bed
Scottyk

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tasgear.com.au

Postby johnk1 » Sat 22 Oct, 2016 6:32 am

I have seen people go to great lengths to try and keep their feet dry and don't enjoy being out there because they are too focused on that.

I think your feet will get wet at some point.

I always wear boots and gaiters and only carry two pairs of socks. One pair for walking and one pair for camp. You don't need anymore than that.

Sleeping bags are a very personal choice. I sleep very hot even at the coldest temperatures. A bag that goes down to minus 5 is more than enough IMO.

Enjoy your trip and don't worry about wet feet while walking, just make sure you have dry socks and a pair of crocs or something at night.
johnk1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain