Strictness of departure dates / camping at OLT start

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Strictness of departure dates / camping at OLT start

Postby findbuddha » Sun 18 Sep, 2016 7:06 pm

Looking for some advice regarding logistics... My friend has decided last minute to accompany me on the OLT at the end of November. Flights and bus transfers are already booked but there were no OLT spaces available for the day I'm booked (Tuesday). There are plenty available for the next day (Wednesday), so he has booked for then.

Do we:
a- Both start the walk on the Tuesday (Not sure how strict they are at the walk entrance)
b- Change my pass to the Wednesday to match my friend, and camp Tuesday night somewhere near the walk entrance. Is Discovery Holiday Parks the best place for this? Looks to be about a 2.5km walk from there to the track entrance

Our walk itinerary has enough flexibility to allow either option.

Many thanks
findbuddha
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Strictness of departure dates / camping at OLT start

Postby johnk1 » Sun 18 Sep, 2016 7:45 pm

I would speak to the guys at the Cradle Mountain Visitor Centre and explain the situation.

Do you need to camp there the night before or can you just get Transport on the day you start.

At that time of year there is plenty of daylight hours if you don't start early.
johnk1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby FootTrack » Sun 18 Sep, 2016 8:02 pm

Hi buddha,

If you both want to start on the same day you will have to change your pass to Wednesday. Before starting the walk you sign-in and collect a bag tag (to show rangers at the campsites that you have paid) from the parks office. They will only give you your bag tag on the day you are starting.

We stayed at Discovery Holiday Parks and found them pretty good. Nice clean facilities and tent sites with good privacy. There are a couple of other lodge/hotel arrangements in the area but they weren't cheap from memory...

There is a shuttle service that operates from outside the caravan park (or close to it?) which does regular trips down to the Ronny Creek carpark. I can't remember if it cost us or if it was free...the parks office would be able to tell you.

There's a cafe opposite the caravan park (Cradle Mountain Cafe?) which sells the usual sandwhiches/hot food etc. I would bring your own lunch/tea if you are going to stay the night before in Cradle - the food at the Cafe is pricey and we found the staff pretty rude.
FootTrack
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby bumpingbill » Sun 18 Sep, 2016 8:21 pm

For sure change your pass to Wednesday if you can, and camp the night. If you've got the time, there's a lot worse you could do! Spend the Tuesday checking out the area around Dove Lake, etc. It'd be marvellous!
bumpingbill
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby findbuddha » Sun 18 Sep, 2016 9:58 pm

Thanks everyone! Will get my pass changed and camp at Discovery.
findbuddha
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby hoverbeam » Mon 03 Oct, 2016 6:42 pm

For reference, the minibus that leaves from the visitor centre is free if you have your track pass. Although carrying a pack has never seen me questioned. The trip on the bus is well worth it, very funny commentary on the way in.
hoverbeam
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Mark F » Mon 03 Oct, 2016 7:16 pm

Remember that you can legally camp at Scott-Kilvert without a pass. If the weather is really bad on day 1, or you are late starting this is always an option.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Strider » Mon 03 Oct, 2016 7:32 pm

Mark F wrote:Remember that you can legally camp at Scott-Kilvert without a pass. If the weather is really bad on day 1, or you are late starting this is always an option.

Which is the harder climb, Ronny creek via Marions LO or the Lake Rodway Track from SK hut up to the cirque?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Mark F » Mon 03 Oct, 2016 8:22 pm

The climb up to the cirque from Scott Kilvert is not well maintained, but given the conditions we started in, and enjoyed the following day,when I took my rather inexperienced partner on the walk a couple of years ago it was a sensible decision. We went up via Twisted Tarns and while slow and a bit awkward in places it saved being fully exposed to the extremes of the weather that day. From Scott Kilvert, Windemere is easily achievable which kept our plans intact.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby findbuddha » Tue 04 Oct, 2016 9:14 am

hoverbeam wrote:For reference, the minibus that leaves from the visitor centre is free if you have your track pass. Although carrying a pack has never seen me questioned. The trip on the bus is well worth it, very funny commentary on the way in.

Thanks!

Mark F wrote:Remember that you can legally camp at Scott-Kilvert without a pass. If the weather is really bad on day 1, or you are late starting this is always an option.

Great info, thanks! So with our OLT passes starting on the Wednesday it should be feasible (pending weather etc) to summit Cradle and camp at Scott-Kilvert on Tuesday? Then day 2 hopefully Barn Bluff and on to Windemere. Would be great to have that extra afternoon on the track.
findbuddha
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Hermione » Tue 04 Oct, 2016 1:10 pm

I'd probably drop my pack at Scott Kilvert and then head up that way to Cradle. Otherwise you'll be carrying your packs up twice at the start of you're walk when they're heaviest.
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit"
Hermione
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 04 Oct, 2016 3:06 pm

Hermione wrote:I'd probably drop my pack at Scott Kilvert and then head up that way to Cradle. Otherwise you'll be carrying your packs up twice at the start of you're walk when they're heaviest.

Leave the pack at the Ranger's Hut, Do Cradle (and Little Horn if there's time), and then back to collect the pack and drop down to SK. Then up the other side the next day for Barn Bluff and the run south.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby MickyB » Tue 04 Oct, 2016 3:44 pm

hoverbeam wrote:For reference, the minibus that leaves from the visitor centre is free if you have your track pass. Although carrying a pack has never seen me questioned. The trip on the bus is well worth it, very funny commentary on the way in.

Is there a charge for non OLT walkers? I thought it was free for anyone (with a parks pass) and people were encouaged to take this bus as it reduced traffic between the visitor centre and the lake.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain