Lightweight 1P tent for Overland Track

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Lightweight 1P tent for Overland Track

Postby Kristin » Fri 16 Sep, 2016 7:12 am

With 7 weeks to go, my mate has pulled out of the Overland Track. This leaves me carrying a 1.9kg MSR Hubba Hubba NX by myself. Doable, but it's got me reconsidering my options as I'd rather take 1kg (at least) of that weight and use it elsewhere.

I was a little cynical that the Rainbow Tarptent would hold up to the winds (just looking at the design, I haven't seen one). However, I noticed that someone has recommended the double. I'd have similar concerns about the Moment.
Pricey, but light, I was tempted by the Solplex (or Solo Hexamid), although I'm worried about the condensation in such a wet area.
There is always the Macpac Sololight, which has the advantage of being able to pitch inner and outer at the same time. Handy in the rain.
The Copper Spur UL1 is a great design - except it has the same problem as the Hubba Hubba when you pitch it in the rain. It's not so easy to keep the inner dry. The lightheart Solong 6 may suffer the same problem.

I've seen some great photos/reviews of tarptents on the Overland Track, but not having used one before, I think that I may have a steep learning curve to get pitch right before Tassie. Let alone considering pitching it on a platform.
It all seems rather ironic considering I'd previously thought that only my Olympus would be up to the conditions :-)

Does anyone have any advice/thoughts/recommendations to help save me some weight in the accom department?
Thanks in advance.
Kristin
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Lightweight 1P tent for Overland Track

Postby kitty » Fri 16 Sep, 2016 6:09 pm

Can you hire or borrow a tent?
If you want to buy a 1P hiking tent then its worth taking the time to determine what features you want in a tent.
The tents you mention vary from single wall to double wall, from free standing to requiring poles to pitch - if you work out what features you want you will narrow your options making it easier to pick :)
The Rainbow 1P is a single wall single vestibule tent. Personally for the overland I would only go for a 2 wall tent, and 1 love 2 vestibles - even in a 1P.
The tents Ive used on the overland are the 2P Stratospire 2 and the 1P Stratospire 1 and in both cases they performed great. They are non-freestanding and I had no problems pitching them on the tent platforms with cup hooks and rubber bands and my hiking poles. Your can get a really nice pitch on the platform with this tent.
Ive tried a few different tents (including Rainbow 1P) and my favorite 1P is the Stratospire1 due to light weight, spacious (usable) interior, 2 walls, 2 vestibules, outer pitch first.
Hope that helps.
kitty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Strider » Fri 16 Sep, 2016 6:39 pm

1.9kg is the same weight as my Tarptent Scarp 1, possibly even slightly less! I would take the MSR and enjoy the extra space :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby kitty » Fri 16 Sep, 2016 6:44 pm

Strider is spot on!
Maybe find weight savings elsewhere.
The NX will be easy to pitch and luxurious for 1P.
kitty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnk1 » Fri 16 Sep, 2016 7:44 pm

Also agree with Strider and Kitty. Take the MSR and save weight somewhere else if you need to.
johnk1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Kristin » Thu 22 Sep, 2016 11:00 am

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Kristin
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby Stoick » Sun 25 Sep, 2016 7:08 pm

I would highly recommend the Zpacks Solplex 1p tent, it is super light, juts over 400gm, fully water proof and super 3 season capable, the Zpacks gear is very well designed and high quality, I have the 2P Duplex and used it on the PCT this year and its awesome........if you want a top notch 1P the Solpex will not disappoint, and condensation is a minimal issue as it is well ventilated
Stoick
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain