OLT clothes for September

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

OLT clothes for September

Postby TwoDuck » Sun 21 Aug, 2016 7:33 am

Hi all. We are heading off in a few weeks to walk the OLT for the first time. I'm struggling with deciding, from my mild Queensland home, what I will need. I feel the cold but hate that hot sweaty feeling while walking. I have a pair of Macpac softshell trousers I was planning to walk in - I figured they will be tough and a bit water and wind resistant if drizzly, and also warm. Does anyone else walk in these? Do you think I will get too hot?
My nightime plan is dry merino layer, 100 fleece top, fleece pants, down jacket. Enough?
I am a chronic overpacker but don't want to be carrying a whole heap of extra stuff I will never use. Thanks for any advice! :D
TwoDuck
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: OLT clothes for September

Postby Strider » Sun 21 Aug, 2016 7:41 am

I walked last September in shorts and a short sleeved synthetic shirt every day. Thermals if required in the morning but usually had them off within half an hour of setting off. Daytime temps were mild. No snow. I would roast walking in long pants in anything but the coldest conditions, but as a Queenslander you might find it more comfortable, I don't really know.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Scottyk » Sun 21 Aug, 2016 7:48 am

I wouldn't walk in soft shell pants, there heavy and a pretty pointless item in Tassie conditions.
This is what I walk in, even in winter
If the weather is fine then start off in shorts with gaiters. If starts to rain then wet weather pants go on over the shorts, if its really cold then a pair of thermal underwear go on underneath. Remember when your walking even though it will be cold you'll be generating body heat.
Have one spare pair of dry thermals to change into when you get to camp.
Scottyk
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tasgear.com.au
Region: Tasmania

Postby johnk1 » Sun 21 Aug, 2016 12:31 pm

Go with what ScottyK said.

I walk in the same and it will be plenty warm enough. You will generate plenty of heat when walking and you don't want to carry items that you won't use.

A pair of clothes to walk in and a separate pair for camp is enough
johnk1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Ant71 » Sun 21 Aug, 2016 3:11 pm

We are starting the track in about 4 weeks. This is our first multi day walk and we are also worried about what clothes we should take as well. We are pretty happy with what we have. I love the quote bellow where can we order one of these lol

Strider wrote:I walked last September in shorts and a short sleeved synthetic shirt every day. Thermals if required in the morning but usually had them off within half an hour of setting off. Daytime temps were mild. No snow. I would roast walking in long pants in anything but the coldest conditions, but as a Queenslander you might find it more comfortable, I don't really know.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Ant71
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby sweetade » Tue 10 Jan, 2017 2:17 pm

Even though I love the feeling of walking in shorts, I always wear long synthetic pants for walking, even in the tropics, for sun protection. You're getting a lot of UV when you're outdoors all day.
sweetade
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain