Clothing

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Clothing

Postby thommo66 » Sat 16 Jul, 2016 1:56 pm

My wife and I are walking the overland track for the first time in December this year and we are just finalising our clothing list for the trip. We were just wondering if we have to take fleece pants this time of year or can we get away with thermals and rain pants at night. This is our first trip to Tasmania.
thommo66
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Clothing

Postby Hermione » Sat 16 Jul, 2016 6:33 pm

It really depends on what you're comfortable with and how you handle the cold. December in Tasmania it could still get cold at night , could even snow. I'm from WA and really feel the cold at night but I don't take fleece pants because they're quite bulky and not that warm, if it's really cold you can rug up your top half and sit in your sleeping bag. Have you
Done much overnight walking ? You might want to post your clothing list for other members to comment on.
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit"
Hermione
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Scottyk » Sat 16 Jul, 2016 10:50 pm

Polypro thermal pants are all in you need in my opinion at that time of year. Shorts on over the top then rain paints if it gets really cold.
If gets really cold, get in your sleeping bag as Hermione said.
Fleece pants are not something I take, even in winter. That's why a carry a good sleeping bag/quilt.
Scottyk
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tasgear.com.au

Postby thommo66 » Sat 23 Jul, 2016 5:34 pm

Thanks very much for the advice we are both looking forward to the walk. We are still considering 7 days on the track with a stay at Pine Valley. We have heard that is worth a visit. We have both done overnights walks in the southeast of Queensland and two weeks on the Larapinta so the distance shouldn't be a concern.
thommo66
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby FootTrack » Sat 23 Jul, 2016 5:43 pm

Hey thommo. Yep, I'd definitely recommended making the detour to Pine Valley if you've got the time and are still feeling fit at that point. Many walked straight past it when we did it. We considered it one of the highlights of our trip. I haven't been down to the Labyrinth yet, but the Acropolis was pretty spectacular.
FootTrack
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby DanShell » Sat 23 Jul, 2016 6:42 pm

Personal warmth is really just that, a personal thing. But for me, being a Tasmanian, not a Queenslander, my torso is the area I get cold if I am going to get cold. My legs are not usually an issue. Yes my extremities are protected, EG, Beanie, gloves, warm dry socks etc but just a set of thermal pants of some sort as someone else suggested is more than enough for me. If it is really cold I retreat to me sleeping system.

Having said that, I have been absolutely freezing using my supposed cold weather 'system', not realising that I am still wearing dampish base layers due to sweating, and when the temp dropped I froze. And yes, I should have been experienced enough to know better.

A dry set of base layers along with your usually cold weather clothing for when you stop will see you through december on the OLT IMHO :)
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby weeds » Sun 24 Jul, 2016 7:25 am

Timely thread.....we are also doing the walk in December......might see you on the track.
weeds
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Smbj » Mon 08 Aug, 2016 10:38 pm

We are too! Might see you there!
Smbj
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain