Gear for the OVT Tassy

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Gear for the OVT Tassy

Postby longlux » Tue 31 May, 2016 5:07 pm

I'm looking at doing the Overland track including all the side tracks next year and need advice on gear for the walk including clothing and food.

Cheers
Joe :)
longlux
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Re: Gear for the OVT Tassy

Postby Mark F » Tue 31 May, 2016 5:16 pm

You have asked a totally open ended question that has been largely answered in a vast number of posts. Go to the Tasmania section, then the Overland Track and Cradle Mountain sub section, START READING. When you have some more specific questions post them there.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 31 May, 2016 5:25 pm

In the UL section?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby longlux » Tue 31 May, 2016 5:45 pm

Yes it is an open ended question as I'm starting from scratch, I'm after members gear lists they used for the track.

I'm and admin on another site, so I have seen the search noob comments many times before :) all I can say is have a nice day!!!
longlux
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Mark F » Tue 31 May, 2016 5:52 pm

GPSg - See the last word in my reply - there, not here.

longlux - Sorry, I am not wanting to put you off but some initial research plus information about your experience or lack there of, time of year etc will help people provide you with useful information. You will also find some gear lists in there as well. The information on the Tasmanian Parks site is usually a good place to start with a detailed gear list.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Gear for the OVT Tassy

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 31 May, 2016 6:08 pm

Mark: I wasn't referring to your post but queried Longlux's choice of subforum for his question. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Longlux: I have been an admin on multiple large forums and I have no ideas which forum you gained your wings. Any decently well managed forum would have issues with your wide open question and choice of subforum for your post. Suggest going to the TAS/OLT subforum for a start too.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby kitty » Tue 31 May, 2016 9:48 pm

This list for the Overland Track is from Tasmania Parks and Wildlife and lists the absolute minimum requirements as well as a full checklist of gear to take.
Attachments
OT_Safety_&_Full_Gear_Checklist.pdf
(1.08 MiB) Downloaded 696 times
kitty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby DanShell » Wed 01 Jun, 2016 10:39 am

longlux wrote:I'm looking at doing the Overland track including all the side tracks next year and need advice on gear for the walk including clothing and food.

Cheers
Joe :)

Hi Joe

Here is a daily comprehensive gear list that will work on the OLT. http://www.dannygelston.com/p/hiking-gear.html

I recommend http://www.strivefood.com.au for meals. Food is a real personal thing but for me I generally use cereal for breakfast, sometimes powdered eggs. Wraps and hard vegetables with cheese and salami for lunch and dehy meals for tea.

You need to pack for all extremes of weather even in summer. It can get very cold all year round and it can rain heavily all year round.

Have fun it is a really enjoyable walk, especially if the weather is nice. What month are you going? Have you done a lot of bushwalking in Tassie in the past?
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby longlux » Sun 05 Jun, 2016 8:37 am

Thanks for all of the replies.

DanShell

That was what I was after, thanks for that, I dehydrate food, so I will most likely be going that way and not the ready made stuff, I have heard good things about Strive Foods and I may get some to try out :)
longlux
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain