Riverside track between waterfalls?

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Riverside track between waterfalls?

Postby dopplershift » Thu 26 May, 2016 3:35 pm

Hi all,

I've tried searching the forum for info, but can't find anything...

Anway, we're heading back to the OLT again in August and this time I'd really like to try the "riverside" track between the waterfalls if the weather is half decent. I've wanted to try it the last two times we did the track, but never ended up doing it, mostly because we couldn't find the start of the track near Fergusson falls (although we didn't look too hard).

Can someone help me out with a few queries?

1. Last time we were at Hartnett falls (May 2015), it looked like work had been done to close-off the short "photo-opportunity" tracks that at the top of the falls, but I think there was one track still open that headed off downstream.... I presume this is one end of the riverside track that I'm talking about?
2. Is it generally accepted as "ok" to walk this track, or is it frowned-upon for conservation/rehabilitation reasons? I don't want to walk it if the track is degrading/eroding from excess traffic.
3. How do we find the start of the track near Fergusson falls?
4. What's the general state of the track? I've heard it can be pretty muddy (which makes sense, given it's location I guess!)

Hope someone can help?
dopplershift
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Re: Riverside track between waterfalls?

Postby Nuts » Thu 26 May, 2016 3:57 pm

There is still a distinct track between the falls. It was hoped when the OL track in the area was routed, to avoid people walking up the river and effectively (I guess via w.o.m or now forums) encouraging that as 'the' route. I can send some details by message but would suggest (hopefully without judged condescension) it's not necessary, the track sticks to the river, take a closer look (from the Fergeson falls LO). The southern end, Hartnett, is pretty obvious, you'll run into the waterfall soon after missing the steep ascent track back to the top.. The vegetation piles up top will be to contain braiding and multiple tracks (in themselves highlighting the concerns for river side environs) but nothing is 'closed'.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Riverside track between waterfalls?

Postby dopplershift » Thu 26 May, 2016 4:21 pm

Thanks Nuts, sounds like I just need to open my eyes a bit more when we're there.... having said that, I've missed it twice now (maybe I deserve some condescension!), so I'd still appreciate a PM if you don't mind?
dopplershift
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain