Thermal question

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Thermal question

Postby tassie kate » Wed 11 May, 2016 1:09 pm

I've got a general thermal question. I've got 2 sets of merino thermals, one heavy duty (220 or something like that) and a light to medium set.
I plan on taking both, one to wear during the day and one to wear at night for hut use and sleeping. Wanting to know opinions on what set to wear walking and what to wear for night time?
Cheers :D
tassie kate
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Thermal question

Postby CasualNerd » Wed 11 May, 2016 1:43 pm

I think this will be an entirely personal choice based on how much you feel the cold.

Personally I like wearing an extra outer layer at the start of the day which comes off as you warm up, and save the warmest clothes for in camp. I don't feel the cold much once I'm moving though.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby photohiker » Wed 11 May, 2016 1:48 pm

More questions for you:

Where and when are you walking?
What is your sleeping bag rating?

You probably need more insulation when you are not active and when you are sleeping, so my guess would be wear light during day and heavier at night. But... If it is really cold out and you are staying in a warm hut, maybe reverse the thermals - thicker during day and lighter in a warm hut and SB at night. Depends on where you are walking and the weather really. I usually wear light during day as I burn up energy walking and rug up with more layers when activity stops.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Wed 11 May, 2016 2:16 pm

Generally it has to be pretty cold for me to wear merino during the day (the Brubek comfort top doesn't count). But what's best for you depends on a whole raft of personal variables, plus the weather and the rest of your gear. Huts get colder than tents, and keeping stoves/heaters going all night is both difficult and ridiculously wasteful. Warm, dry clothing and a good sleep system are paramount.
If there is any chance that your sleeping bag/quilt won't be warm enough at night, keep the heavier set of thermals for camp/hut use. In the daytime, extra warmth can be provided by wearing your rain gear (which cuts the wind and windchill is a big factor in hypothermia). Don't discount the difference made by good gloves and beanie.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Strider » Wed 11 May, 2016 2:50 pm

Personally I would not wear merino while walking in Tassie as I find it very sweaty and it takes forever to dry. Perhaps consider buying some cheap synthetics?
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby tassie kate » Thu 12 May, 2016 1:25 pm

Doing the overland track, starting on the 29th of this month so expecting it to be cold. My sleeping bag is down rated to women's comfort -7, and I've got a thermal liner for it too. For hut use I plan in wearing thermals, fleece pants, a fleece jacket and down jacket over the top. I've got beanie and gloves too. For the day planing on wearing thermals (merino) long lightweight pants that can zip off if need be, gaiters and rain pants to cover. On top, thermals, long sleeve/short sleeve shirt? A shoft shell jacket and my rain jacket is 3/4 length gortex. I have skiing gloves, merino beanie and buff. I'm worried in either going to be so cold or hot from walking in so much gear. In saying that it's a cold time of year and wind may be an issue. Maybe I'll save the warmer heavier merino a for hut use. I'll still wear merino for day use over poly pro to prevent smelling. Does this sound ok? Or like a disaster? First time doing overland and first time doing a multi cold day hike
Cheers :)
tassie kate
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Azza » Thu 12 May, 2016 2:01 pm

tassie kate wrote:Does this sound ok? Or like a disaster? First time doing overland and first time doing a multi cold day hike

Does a bit... well i think your probably over estimating how much gear you want on when walking.
During the day moving and carry a pack, your not going to need as much clothing as your talking about.
I usually find if your wearing a shell layer you don't need to go too overboard on the warm clothes, unless its well into the minus'es.

For example if the weather was a bit inclement I would wear the following:

shorts, with over-trousers. if it was really cold i.e. snowing, I would wear thermals as well. But I tend to find shorts / zipoff trousers plus over trousers are a good combo.

On the top half, if I'm wearing my rain jacket, I'd probably have a short sleeve thermal, with a lighter weight fleece top.
If it gets colder, I add more layers.

Personally I don't think much about polypro versus merino.. other than merino is nicer to wear, but rips really easily and its expensive.
Azza
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Hermione » Thu 12 May, 2016 3:00 pm

Azza's clothing combination sounds about right, though obviously you have to work out what suits you. I feel the cold a lot so when I first started walking in Tassie winter I massively over estimated how many layers I'd need to wear. With the result that I was hot and uncomfortable and wasted time stopping to adjust clothes, not to mention carrying unnecessary weight. I find I usually warm up pretty quickly quickly while walking, but get cold sitting around so add a down jacket over lightweight fleece for evenings in camp. When you say ski gloves do you mean big thick insulated ones? I've found these pretty bulky and annoying to walk in, plus even waterproof ones seem to get soaked after a couple of days bad weather, lighter weight gloves paired with waterproof overmitts are a more flexible option.
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit"
Hermione
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnk1 » Thu 12 May, 2016 6:32 pm

Hi Kate,

Definitely wear the lighter weight thermals when walking. As NNW said, wearing your rain wear makes a big difference if it is windy. You will get hot quite quickly when walking.

Always rug up when you stop for any great length of time.

I would ditch the soft shell jacket. The buff around your neck and a beanie will make a huge difference.

Remember you have to carry it if you aren't wearing it.

You will have a great time.

JK
johnk1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby tassie kate » Thu 12 May, 2016 9:34 pm

This is why I love this forum, it helps newbies like me ask questions without feeling dumb or insulted.
Thanks everyone for their input.....good thing I've got a couple of weeks to figure it all out. Lighter merinos for day use and ditch some layers...I guess with all the wind we're having at the moment i'm freaking out the wind chill is going to be like ice hitting me.
I'm happy with my night time clothes...now just to adjust my day time clothes ;)
tassie kate
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Strider » Thu 12 May, 2016 9:47 pm

I too would ditch the softshell, though I would recommend replacing it with another warm midlayer such as a fleece. You will be cold in only a baselayer, shirt and shell if the weather turns.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Scottyk » Thu 12 May, 2016 10:11 pm

Light weight long sleeve thermal to wear walking is ok. The lighter the colour the better as you can get hot in dark colours. Long sleeves are great, roll sleeves down when cold or needing sun protection.
The just a cheap long sleeve polypropylene one for the base layer in camp is best. Merino is heavy so no need for it at camp I think.

So a full set of clothes might be
Walking:
quick dry shorts
long sleeve top
Broad brimmed hat
Walking socks

Camp:
Spare long sleeve top
Thermal long johns under your shorts
100 weight fleece
Down jacket
Beanie
Spare socks

Add to that a good long rain jacket, and a set of rain paints and you have a good light walking set up for most conditions in Tas.
Remember that carrying all clothing really sucks, try and think about what you really need.
Scottyk

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tasgear.com.au

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain