OT bookings.

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

OT bookings.

Postby Mechanic-AL » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 7:04 pm

I have just had a quick look at the OLT bookings for May and it,s looking like a bit of a ghost track for the second half of the month. I recall making a late booking around the same time last year and it was a case of squeezing into one of a small number of available days.The 3CT must be pilfering the numbers.
It,s good to think that the OLT will get a slight reprieve from the hoards marching through it.
Even if you are not a fan of it, the 3CT still has it.s benefits I guess.
"What went ye out into the wilderness to see?
A reed shaken in the wind"?
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Re: OT bookings.

Postby vagrom » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 9:02 pm

Isn't the price difference likely to sway voters? Isn't it something like $200 v's $500 and more dosh for a shorter trip? It'll be interesting to see the demographic split by survey.
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: WalkingSA, Frnd Cleland/Bushcare, Alltrails
Region: South Australia

Postby Azza » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 11:16 am

Well if your flexible with dates and its a case of wait a week or so to save $200, I'd probably do it.

They'd be better served by having a shoulder season where the fee doesn't suddenly goes from $200 to $0.
Azza

Postby CasualNerd » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 1:56 pm

Azza wrote:Well if your flexible with dates and its a case of wait a week or so to save $200, I'd probably do it.

They'd be better served by having a shoulder season where the fee doesn't suddenly goes from $200 to $0.

I was wondering if there's usually a big jump in numbers once the booking season ends ? I plan on finally doing the overland, and avoiding the crowds is just as much reason as saving $200.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Mechanic-AL » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 3:28 pm

I don't believe there is any massive influx of numbers at the end of the booking season. I personally would rather pay the 200 bucks just BEFORE the bookings finish. It's a small price to ensure you can have the place almost to yourself!
I think there could be some merit in a shoulder season price though ( even though the shoulder season is the prettiest time to be out there! ).

I'm wondering if the milder coastal temperatures will attract folks to the 3CT over the OLT as we get closer to winter?
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Azza » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 3:45 pm

I dunno about massive influx, but speaking from personal experience a lot of Tasmanians / ex-Tasmanians I know have specifically planned their trip around these dates, myself included. If you've got kids etc. not being whacked the extra cost is a big deal for some.

As something that used to not cost anything aside from the park pass where we could just turn up and walk the OLT. I still have a hard time accepting that we have to book and pay now.
But I've done numerous shorter trips into different sections of the track and heading off track where a booking isn't required during season.

The times I've been into various huts in the off season there is always a few groups around. I've never know it to be deserted.
Azza

Postby Nuts » Sun 01 May, 2016 11:04 am

OT has been attracting a crowd in that first week, completely unpredictable. There were lots of group walkers last year. I'd leave it a couple of weeks, allow time even for those with a more cunning plan than the first weekers :) Actually, i'd just have paid, a week or two ago.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby dazintaz » Sun 15 May, 2016 7:37 am

They should introduce a cheaper shoulder season price to get more people through. Plenty of other walks in Tassie where you can escape the crowds if thats your no.1 reason.
dazintaz
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Mechanic-AL » Wed 01 Jun, 2016 7:46 pm

Looks like those lucky enough to have hung onto their money and wait until the end of the booking season have won weather sweepstakes big time this year,
The forecast for this week is looking much improved on some of the sludge that was being dished up earlier in the month!!

There must have been some sad and soggy souls sloshing their way into Cynthia Bay in early May...........folks who would now be shaking their heads in despair :x

Such is Life..........
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 16 Jun, 2016 5:15 pm

The OLT booking system provides that bookings for summer open on 1 July. PWS advises
"next season will be available on July 1 2016. When bookings open there is usually a rush for December and January dates which fill up quickly."
So there seems to be demand for bookings opening prior to 1 July.

I have never come across a booking system that only allows bookings within a financial year. Based on this system a booking for a crusie starting on 10 July could not be made until nine days earlier.

Should PWS have bookings for the OLT and perhaps other tracks open earlier, up to, say, 6-12 months ahead? Also, should there be shoulder seasons so that it's something like winter free, shoulder $100, peak season $200? If so, what months and how much should be charged?
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby Nuts » Thu 16 Jun, 2016 6:28 pm

Lophophaps wrote:I have never come across a booking system that only allows bookings within a financial year.

I suspect they do this in hope that 'the loudest voice in the room' comes to their senses / looses interest over winter and scraps the whole enchilada :)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 4:36 pm

The winter opening date for bookings makes sense given the fee/booking-free period is over winter. Makes a convenient division point.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Nuts » Mon 20 Jun, 2016 10:47 am

The different price points may make sense, but there will continue to be cut-off date bottlenecks. The numbers are probably only an issue on several days but obviously the dates dictate pushing walkers into winter. The track is far from capacity, the numbers can grow, more campsites, private huts, fees and restrictions over winter. There's no real upper limit, may be let sleep for a while but lot's more can be made of it and from it, by successive governments.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain