Trangia Fuel for OLT

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Trangia Fuel for OLT

Postby dazintaz » Wed 20 Apr, 2016 9:27 pm

How much fuel would you recommend for 6 nights using a Trangia, at least 6 dinners, 24 cups of tea, 6 breakfasts
dazintaz
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Re: Trangia Fuel for OLT

Postby FootTrack » Wed 20 Apr, 2016 11:25 pm

It obviously depends on what you are cooking (i.e. how long the food needs to be boiled for). I haven't got a Trangia myself so I'm not much help...but if I were you I would just cook a few meals on it beforehand and you will soon figure out how much you need.
FootTrack
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Old Fart » Fri 22 Apr, 2016 8:47 am

Greetings all,

Just going to state the bleeding obvious, it's better to take a bit extra and carry it out than to run out- as said before it depends on what you are cooking, how efficient your cooker is and all that- great idea to experiment at home. Some things you can save weight on, fuel should not be one of them.

Enjoy your trip :D
Old Fart
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 22 Apr, 2016 9:08 am

Good advice above. Fuel use depends on a number of factors, such as how sheltered the stove is from the wind, and how efficiently you cook. A meal that requires a short amount of boiling will use less than a meal that requires 20 minutes of simmering. Soaking dried food before cooking drops cooking time quite a lot. Not cooking breakfast - just a cup of tea to boil - reduces fuel use. With short meal cooking times you could get away with 60-100 mL a day. As you describe, perhaps double this. Think about two or three containers so that you can more easily monitor use, and adjust cooking accordingly. While the plastic fuel bottles meths comes in are solid, in my view they are not soilid enough to take on walk, so use bottles that are designed for bushwalking.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby dazintaz » Sat 23 Apr, 2016 10:53 pm

Lophophaps wrote:Good advice above. Fuel use depends on a number of factors, such as how sheltered the stove is from the wind, and how efficiently you cook. A meal that requires a short amount of boiling will use less than a meal that requires 20 minutes of simmering. Soaking dried food before cooking drops cooking time quite a lot. Not cooking breakfast - just a cup of tea to boil - reduces fuel use. With short meal cooking times you could get away with 60-100 mL a day. As you describe, perhaps double this. Think about two or three containers so that you can more easily monitor use, and adjust cooking accordingly. While the plastic fuel bottles meths comes in are solid, in my view they are not soilid enough to take on walk, so use bottles that are designed for bushwalking.

Thanks!!! I would like to cook quick oats most mornings with a cuppa and then simmer dinner for 10 mins each dinner and another 2-3 cups
dazintaz
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain