Winter

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Winter

Postby Tbar » Fri 12 Jun, 2009 10:58 am

Hi,

First post , great forums, if posted in wrong section could admin move to correct one..

My question is,

I am planning to hopefully try to walk the OT around the 16th of August, Now I feel I can do it physically and have got 95% of the gear ( snow shoes still needed). Problem is my walking partner had to pull out from doing the walk due to familly reasons and the good wife would really like for me to have other people to walk with for safety reasons ( fair call imo), so would there be a fair chance of meeting other walkers at that time of the year and what's everyones thinking about some one just tacking on to someone elses group.

Cheers.
Tbar
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Re: Winter

Postby alliecat » Sun 14 Jun, 2009 4:54 pm

Hi Tbar, and welcome to the forums.

Others will hopefully chip in with their view too, but for what it's worth - here's my opinion.

In August, there is a good chance that you could walk the OT without encountering anybody else. I know one group of very experienced walkers that do the OT in winter every year specifically so they don't see other people. If you did encounter a group, most walkers would have no problem with you taggin along, but you certainly shouldn't rely on that happening.

You don't say how much experience you have with overnight walks, or walking in winter conditions in Tas. If you could give us an idea about your level of experience, we could probably give you advice that was more specific to your circumstances.

However, some general advice about winter walking in Tas would include:
  • Make sure you understand how to avoid and treat hypothermia. Recognising the onset of hypothermia is particularly important, and difficult, when you are on your own.
  • Understand that although there are huts, they may have no fuel for the heaters over winter and so you cannot rely on them as a source for warmth. The inside of the huts will be just as cold as the outside - just drier and less windy.
  • Carry a PLB.
  • Have a good map and good compass, and know how to use them. It is entirely possible to lose the track in winter conditions.
  • Allow for at least a couple of days sitting in a hut waiting for the weather to clear. So take extra food and fuel for that reason.
    [*}While there are some places where snowshows might be handy, in general we don't get the kind of deep snow cover that makes them really useful. Some people highly recommend the Yowies snowshoes for Tas conditions though, so maybe check them out. Just be aware that you will end up carry your snowshows most ofthe time.
    [/list]

That's probably enough to think about for now.

Cheers,
Alliecat
alliecat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby frank_in_oz » Mon 15 Jun, 2009 9:39 am

NOT shameless self promotion BUT might be worth a read on how NOT to do it is winter. We are off there in mid September, can't wait!

Just posted this after reading a trip report by a guy from the US... http://frankinoz.blogspot.com/2009/06/1 ... rland.html

A $40 rain coat, jeans and a KMart tent do not make a happy camper....
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Steve73 » Wed 17 Jun, 2009 5:12 pm

Interesting read from the american guy Frank.

We actually hiked it the following week and were blessed with perfect weather. Bright, sunny weather for the first three days around 8-10 degrees. A bit of wind and cloud for the remainder but no rain. Very fortunate.

We actually came across the family the American guy spoke of from Kitchen Hut on out first day. They stuck around to do a few day hikes. They were caught up in the Hut for two days, couldn't see more than one metre in the blizzard, glad we missed that!

Also, there was a Canadian couple beginning the hike on the same day we arrived in the park (we stayed at waldheim the first night so they were a day ahead during the hike) and they were also under prepared. Firstly, it was their first ever mutli day hike. And there gear was appalling. Hiking in jeans, cotton shirts, sneakers. They are very, very lucky they had a good run with the weather.
Steve73
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby MountainMadness » Fri 03 Jul, 2009 5:02 pm

Hey,

I'll be hiking the OT (well part of it) along with my brother and a mate on the 15-17th of August if your keen to join.

Our aim is to climb Ossa as well as Cradle Mountain in 3 days so it'll be a good challange (you must be fit!). Ossa is the last of the '7 puny summits' (highest points in each state/territory) on my list. We're training for Aconcagua (highest peak outside of the Himalayas) in early 2010.

Ossa/Cradle Mountain are not 7000m or -30 degrees celcius but it'll be good physical training.

Let us know!

Paul.
MountainMadness
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Fizzygood » Fri 03 Jul, 2009 5:57 pm

MountainMadness, sounds like a great plan... you will need some good pace to accomplish this however. I too will be doing the OT track early August (solo) and am planning on taking 3 to 4 days for the whole thing but Pelion on the second night and an assent of Ossa on day three is a fair crank for most people.I've done cradle to Pelion in a 10 hour day (in great weather) and it was pretty big!.. approx 35 klms or so! :shock:

How are you planning on exiting or does the three days include this? If you are thinking Cradle to Ossa (with both summits) and back again in three days are you aware that this is a fairly big undertaking in the middle of winter? .. if you are to accomplish this I can only guess you are planning on walking in the dark with headlamps.... good fun too! 8)

Might see you out there somewhere...

Cheers, Erin :)
Fizzygood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MountainMadness » Wed 08 Jul, 2009 10:11 am

Yep - not for the faint-hearted!

Well if I'm looking to be successfull climbing 1000+ vertical meters (after 5000+ vertical meters in the previous 10 days) from 1:00am in the dark with -30 degree temperatures with less than quarter lung capacity on Aconcagua summit day lets hope I can do this!!

Cheers,
Paul.
MountainMadness

Postby Fizzygood » Wed 08 Jul, 2009 10:24 pm

Indeed not for the fainthearted Paul...

I estimate that in order to complete your mission you will need to cover approx 93km and do roughly 30 to 35 hours of walking in 3 days. These times would be considered fast by the 'average' walker and assume that you already have a high level of fitness... experience in remote areas... an understanding of the terrain... and the necessary equipment to ensure safety and success

Day 1: Cradle to Windermere Hut (with Cradle Mt summit on the way) - distance is 19.8km - est. time 8 to 10 hours (longer if there is snow or poor visibility)

Day 2: WIndermere Hut to Pelion Hut (drop packs), summit Ossa and return to Pelion Hut - distance is 41.6km - est. time 12 to 14 hours (longer if there is snow or poor visibility - NOTE: You will be descending Mt Ossa and returning to Pelion Hut in the dark by headlamp and most likely in snow)

Day 3: Pelion Hut to Cradle - distance is 31.6km - est. time 8 to 10 hours (longer if there is snow or poor visibility)

It is certainly achievable... I look forward to your trip report...

Cheers, Erin
Fizzygood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kanangra » Mon 13 Jul, 2009 8:00 pm

92ks hey. I did that precise trip in two days a few years back. But it was summer so much more light. I returned via Scott Klivert Hut. good trip.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Steve » Mon 13 Jul, 2009 9:21 pm

Don't rush through too quickly or you'll miss all the amazing views!
One foot in front of the other, Hack all pain, Never stop walking.
Steve
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Fizzygood » Thu 30 Jul, 2009 4:50 pm

The dates are booked... leaving Cradle Mt Wed 12th... no specific plans except enjoying whatever is down the track for the next 5 to 7 days...

The bus and ferry timetable is pretty ordinary during winter so its basically head south from Cradle for 40klm or so (Pelion or Kia Ora), turn around, and walk back to Cradle Mt... I've done the OT solo in summer and as many of you would appreciate it is not really solo when sharing it with so many others... I am hoping that a mid August departure will provide more of the isolation that I seek....

Pelion Hut, a good curry, snow chilled Bourbon, a candle and a good book.... ahhhh.... 8) ... and hopefully not too many companion walkers... I like walking with others and meeting new people though, but this trip is with a different intent!

I will post pics on my return... almost time to tighten the boots! :D

Cheers, Erin
Fizzygood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Thu 30 Jul, 2009 6:25 pm

MountainMadness wrote:Yep - not for the faint-hearted!

Well if I'm looking to be successfull climbing 1000+ vertical meters (after 5000+ vertical meters in the previous 10 days) from 1:00am in the dark with -30 degree temperatures with less than quarter lung capacity on Aconcagua summit day lets hope I can do this!!

Cheers,
Paul.

Lets Hope....
I have seen people who could (and have) accomplished that ^ (or similar) delayed by heavy snow doing this... (yes, more through wisdom than lack of ability......)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Thu 30 Jul, 2009 7:41 pm

kanangra wrote:92ks hey. I did that precise trip in two days a few years back. But it was summer so much more light. I returned via Scott Klivert Hut. good trip.

K.

kanangra,
Most Forum members will have ignored your post however as a pernickety old fart who has done this walk many many times and who is familiar with the area I for one would like you to share your 92 km summer walk on the OLT from St Clair to Dove Lake (which incidentally is not the end of the OLT ) in two days !!
In other words methinks you are expressing bovine excrement especially with you getting the distance you walked wrong,if you were running 10 to 12 hours you will do Cradle to Narcissus but you walking uphill I doubt it.
Loved to be proved wrong as around 10 years or so back Son and I did it in three days we got thirsty :roll:
Dove lake to WFV
WFV to Windemere
Windemere to Windy Ridge
Windy Ridge to Narcissus,caught the Ferry had two nights at St Clair Campsite but did have access to beer and hot chips :lol:
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby Fizzygood » Thu 30 Jul, 2009 10:20 pm

Hey Corvus,

The 92klm in question is Cradle to Pelion return with both Cradle Mt and Mt Ossa summits in 3 days (2 nights)...

My rough estimate is this...

Day 1: Cradle to Windermere Hut (with Cradle Mt summit on the way) - distance is 19.8km - est. time 8 to 10 hours (longer if there is snow or poor visibility)

Day 2: WIndermere Hut to Pelion Hut (drop packs), summit Ossa and return to Pelion Hut - distance is 41.6km - est. time 12 to 14 hours (longer if there is snow or poor visibility - NOTE: You will be descending Mt Ossa and returning to Pelion Hut in the dark by headlamp and most likely in snow)

Day 3: Pelion Hut to Cradle - distance is 31.6km - est. time 8 to 10 hours (longer if there is snow or poor visibility)

Big Walk! 8)
Fizzygood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Thu 30 Jul, 2009 10:45 pm

To Ossa and back 3 days in Winter (and other similar plans)

This can be done, probably has been done and I respect the fact that some may have the experience to do so.

As you May know, your experience will tell you when your plans need to change, but perhaps that is the point. Can you accept that you may not make it past Windemere in that time frame? (Heavy snow, with snowshoes and perhaps even close navigation- very likely)

Maybe 'folks' should mention this (ie your alternatives) if your going to post such plans......

nuts
Last edited by Nuts on Fri 31 Jul, 2009 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Thu 30 Jul, 2009 11:06 pm

My apologies for not reading the posts correctly I claim declining years as my excuse :oops:
For the very same reason as you (lack of transport ) son and I did the same trip but made it stretch over five days and we did Pelion East ,Ossa ,Barn Bluff , Lake Will/Innes falls and Cradle again but it is only around 32km from Ronny Creek to Pelion =64 return + 2.4 km for Cradle around 6 km for Barn about 5km for Lake Will and 5km for Ossa so you may be doing some other side trips that I am unaware of :?
Good luck if you get to Do Cradle and get to Pelion Hut with still enough daylight and energy to nick up to Ossa and back believe me it is a big big ask unless you are an uphill skier and BW every weekend and are prepared for the worst weather ,was up there last weekend and whilst it did not actually snow on us gees it was very cold damp and unpleasant at times which without my Stroller mates would have been trying and miserable
Just my couple of cents worth :)
c
Last edited by corvus on Thu 30 Jul, 2009 11:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby corvus » Thu 30 Jul, 2009 11:12 pm

kanangra wrote:92ks hey. I did that precise trip in two days a few years back. But it was summer so much more light. I returned via Scott Klivert Hut. good trip.

K.

kanagra mia culpa,

Miss read the initial post but it is still a huge two day walk if you did the mountains :oops:
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Fizzygood » Fri 31 Jul, 2009 5:06 am

Hi Nuts, no ego flag being waved here!

The 92k walk is NOT MY TRIP PLAN... I was merely pointing out to another user how big their plan was (see earlier posts)... if you read the whole thread you will see what has transpired!
Fizzygood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Fri 31 Jul, 2009 8:11 am

Hi Erin, sorry, I had read through and saw that you had reservations about the earlier plans, took it that you had changed yours, my mistake (I blame the late hour :D ). I'll edit what i said (All the best for your Solo effort)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Fizzygood » Fri 31 Jul, 2009 9:06 pm

Thanks Nuts...

For the benefit of all who may read this, I do not generally think solo walking is a good idea and if doing it in winter in remote areas then it takes lots of experience, solid preparation, the right equipment and a sensible head...

Cheers, Erin
Fizzygood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Fri 31 Jul, 2009 10:00 pm

Fizzygood wrote:Thanks Nuts...

For the benefit of all who may read this, I do not generally think solo walking is a good idea and if doing it in winter in remote areas then it takes lots of experience, solid preparation, the right equipment and a sensible head...

Cheers, Erin

G'day Fizzygood ,
As you may suspect a couple of us on this forum tend to get a bit over anxious/ protective of walkers when it comes to the OLT :roll:
Good to know you are experienced ,sensible and well equipped , enjoy your walk ,I suspect you may not be on your own for the duration :)
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby tasadam » Sat 01 Aug, 2009 7:34 am

Dove Lake to Cradle Summit then Windermere, I can accept that it would be possible, at least easier than the other two days.
Windermere to Pelion, summit Ossa and back to Pelion?
Pelion to Dove Lake?
Horses for courses... I won't be coming :wink:
This means getting up early, like sometimes that hour would be before my bed time :o
And it means racing along the track at a pretty good speed...

I can see the weather will be a major player in your success or otherwise. Let us know how you go.

Hey Corvus, jumped in a bit too soon there eh? :lol: (ok you asked for that) :wink:
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby corvus » Sat 01 Aug, 2009 4:25 pm

tasadam wrote:

Hey Corvus, jumped in a bit too soon there eh? :lol: (ok you asked for that) :wink:

Have no idea what you are on about Adam :lol:
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby tasadam » Sun 02 Aug, 2009 9:37 am

corvus wrote:Have no idea what you are on about Adam :lol:
c
Need a reminder already? :mrgreen:
corvus wrote:Miss read the initial post

I love to use :mrgreen: when directing a post to Corvus because he has no idea what :mrgreen: means . 8)
Something like take the pee (can't use the pi.. word around here :mrgreen: ), do a raspberry, cheesy grin, witty reply, having a lend of, anything you want it to be. A demonstration that you're not being serious perhaps.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby corvus » Sun 02 Aug, 2009 5:53 pm

Eh!!,
Adam I hope you are not taking up grandpa bashing :shock: caus if you are I have a BIG son that I could send around "to speak to you" :lol: :lol: :lol: (and what the heck one of these for good measure) :mrgreen:
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Nuts » Sun 02 Aug, 2009 6:24 pm

My post was directed at Mountain Madness, not so much Erin (I have read many of your posts, you clearly have the level of experience necessary to know the limits). As we are all (mostly) 'in-cognito' I dont make too many apologies on here, perhaps dont care how people choose to take things. Just when someone comes on saying so little and yet so much, I'll try whenever I can to end their paragraphs for them (so that the many new-comers are not misled in any way). For all we know MM (and freinds) could be dreamy headed nutters just as easily as experienced mountaineers.... If appearing like granny or grandpa saves good people putting their lives at risk, so be it.

Who is mr green anyhow? Has he been on the *&^%$#!, sorry, turps?

Welcome Tbar
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MountainMadness » Tue 11 Aug, 2009 1:28 pm

Thanks for your concern guys. I'm not a regular user of this forum not because I'm a 'dreamy headed nutter', but because i'm a regular on the international forum Summitpost.

Good luck on the OT Erin! Bourbon - good idea. Might see you out there (amongst the thunderstorms and rain forecast for Sun/Mon! - blizzards on top of Ossa here we come!).

Paul.
MountainMadness

Postby Nuts » Tue 11 Aug, 2009 6:08 pm

MountainMadness wrote: because i'm a regular on the international forum Summitpost.

??Doesnt mean we wont let you post here :D
Anyhow, no offence, I'm sure someone with your experience can understand the concerns (even if its just here in the Aussie bush).

Good luck with the climb
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Tue 11 Aug, 2009 8:03 pm

MountainMadness wrote:Thanks for your concern guys. I'm not a regular user of this forum not because I'm a 'dreamy headed nutter', but because i'm a regular on the international forum Summitpost.

Good luck on the OT Erin! Bourbon - good idea. Might see you out there (amongst the thunderstorms and rain forecast for Sun/Mon! - blizzards on top of Ossa here we come!).

Paul.

Glad to see you check out the Premium Australian BW forum MM
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Joel » Sun 16 Aug, 2009 12:17 pm

Mountain Madness - are you Mountain Bandit on summitpost ?
Joel
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Next

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain