Winter OLT. N-S or S-N?

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Winter OLT. N-S or S-N?

Postby Jayps68 » Fri 18 Mar, 2016 10:29 am

Hi,
Have received tacit approval from the good lady wife to start planning a winter OLT. Given the fact that I live in the sub tropics, and have very little snow experience, but heaps of walking/multi-day experience (including a summer OLT), I'd like to throw myself on the mercy of the forum.

Any sage words for prepping for a winter trek? (not really a gear question, more of a 'tricks of snow trekking/camping' question)

and heres the big one,

Cradle to Clair, or Clair to Cradle?
Pros and cons of each?

Admin? Is there another thread that covers this already? :D
It's all the same to me where i begin, for to there I shall return...
Jayps68
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Winter OLT. N-S or S-N?

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 18 Mar, 2016 11:36 am

There's a few other threads that should give information that will be useful
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=20340&hilit=winter#p270419
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=20577&hilit=winter
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=19902&hilit=winter
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=10925&hilit=winter
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=10283&hilit=winter

Yuo can get more by an advanced search for <winter> looking just in the OLT area and displaying by topic. There's 130 threads.

I'm tending towards north to south as this gets a very exposed section out of the way. You'll need more and better gear than in summer, starting with a snow tent. Take lots of fuel. An extra two days of food and fuel will allow you to wait out bad conditions. With roots, rocks and ice hidden, trekking poles may be indicated. It's important to be mentally ready for cold and bleak conditions.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby Giddy_up » Fri 18 Mar, 2016 11:38 am

You will have a ball :)

Have a look at this 3 part series from a fellow who did the OLT in winter.

http://youtu.be/fgsppvrGbMU

Gives you some insights in to what to expect. I note he did it Claire to Cradle but the preferred way is from Cradle. Main reason I think is it gets the high and really exposed bits of the walk over early, rather than the reverse and running into foul weather and getting stuck for a day or two with diminished food and fuel.

Gear wise, it's wet and cold so plan for that :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
causa latet, vis est notissima
Giddy_up
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby CasualNerd » Fri 18 Mar, 2016 12:32 pm

I'm personally looking forward to doing it S - N just because you're not allowed to during summer !

Make sure you have your navigation sorted as even the snow markers get lost under snow in the middle of winter, and microspikes / chains are more useful that snowshoes on the icy boardwalks.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby RonK » Fri 18 Mar, 2016 12:55 pm

Deep snow can mean slow progress whichever way you go, particularly if you have to break trail.

Be prepared to camp out in the snow.
RonK
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Mark F » Tue 22 Mar, 2016 9:03 am

I have always preferred S to N as you start in forest and spend your days heading towards the high moorlands and ultimately Cradle Mtn.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby north-north-west » Tue 22 Mar, 2016 9:22 am

Mark F wrote:I have always preferred S to N as you start in forest and spend your days heading towards the high moorlands and ultimately Cradle Mtn.

+1
Save the best for last.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby aloftas » Tue 22 Mar, 2016 9:25 am

RonK wrote:Deep snow can mean slow progress whichever way you go, particularly if you have to break trail.

you must mean bivy.

aint many places to stretch a tent out...
aloftas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 22 Mar, 2016 10:26 am

South to north can work, saving the best till last as mentioned above. However, there needs to be awareness that the last few days are quite exposed and it may be necessary to wait out bad weather. The bad weather will of course hit the southern part, but this is mainly in forest. Deep snow anywhere will be slow. Maybe a nice glissade off Marions to finish. PWS has speed limits.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby north-north-west » Tue 22 Mar, 2016 11:11 am

aloftas wrote:
RonK wrote:Deep snow can mean slow progress whichever way you go, particularly if you have to break trail.

you must mean bivy.

Snow has this wonderful way of smoothing out the ground to make siting a tent much easier.
But there are heaps of places to pitch along the way, both within the forests and in the more open patches. I've camped in at least a dozen unofficial spots near the track.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby aloftas » Tue 22 Mar, 2016 11:28 am

north-north-west wrote:
aloftas wrote:

you must mean bivy.

Snow has this wonderful way of smoothing out the ground to make siting a tent much easier.
But there are heaps of places to pitch along the way, both within the forests and in the more open patches. I've camped in at least a dozen unofficial spots near the track.

Yes Dear, I know.

However, there is also a LOT of scrub, and may I humbly posit that those who are less experienced than you, may have some difficulty, finding these :unofficial" spots.

Anyway...

of course...

I must defer to the greater accrued wisdoms and pleasantries.

I was just saying, that it isn't always easy, to find a 6x4 footprint, and just think NNW what is smoothed out by the snow, may contain a cusion plant, or some other humanoid intolerant species.

Please, have a happy day.
aloftas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Jayps68 » Tue 22 Mar, 2016 3:19 pm

Lophophaps wrote: Maybe a nice glissade off Marions to finish. PWS has speed limits.

That will be a nice reprise for the aching knees... the most valuable tip yet. Nice work Lop... :lol:
Jayps68
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Nuts » Wed 23 Mar, 2016 7:24 am

N-S Better burgers in the Sth.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Wed 23 Mar, 2016 8:44 am

Nuts wrote:N-S Better burgers in the Sth.

Hadn't thought of that but it's a damn good point. Nothing like stopping at the Hungry Wombat for one of their lovely burgers after a long walk.

Hmmmm, if I leave for the Tarkine right now I have enough time to get up there before the kitchen closes . . . :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 23 Mar, 2016 8:46 am

I misread this as buggers. Fascinating.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Nuts » Wed 23 Mar, 2016 1:22 pm

well.. the company isn't exactly distasteful either.. :)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Snowzone » Wed 23 Mar, 2016 6:52 pm

CasualNerd wrote:I'm personally looking forward to doing it S - N just because you're not allowed to during summer !

Make sure you have your navigation sorted as even the snow markers get lost under snow in the middle of winter, and microspikes / chains are more useful that snowshoes on the icy boardwalks.

Agree S - N just because you can. I did it this way last winter with some fairly decent snow and even though I carried snow shoes the whole way, didn't use them once. :roll: But the boards were frozen solid and spikes would of been useful at times. Enjoy it either way though, its beautiful all year round.
Snowzone

Postby RonK » Thu 24 Mar, 2016 5:39 pm

You may find micro spikes inadequate...

Approaching Pine Forest Moor, May 13 2012

RonK

Postby neaira » Sat 02 Apr, 2016 8:52 pm

I'm also half considering walking the track again this winter. Having no real winter hiking experience but plenty of other multiday, would the OLT be considered a suitable or doable starting point?

I'm thinking either side of side of the school holidays (early June/late July) and would look at purchasing microspikes and renting snow shoes. The rest of my gear should be okay. It's more moving through a big dump of snow I'm a little concerned about.
neaira
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Northern Territory

Postby Hermione » Wed 06 Apr, 2016 6:11 pm

Hi Neaira, Having spent most of my life in sunny WA, I found the OLT a good introduction to winter walking. Actually in many ways I find it preferable to dealing with extreme heat and lack of reliable water sources. Good things about the OLT is that it has huts spaced at a reasonable distance, which although hideously crowded in summer can provide a welcome respite in winter, you don't really need more advanced winter skills like ice axe self arrest or avalanche safety training (unless maybe you're heading off track or planning some more serious climbs). Remote camping in the snow can be a bit challenging if you've never done so the huts provide a backup of sorts, though you need to be prepared to make camp sooner if conditions are too bad. Your walking times will usually be a bit slower in the snow, so you need to factor that in plus you have shorter daylight hours. I had to shorten a walk in the Labyrinth once, because our progress through the snow was just too slow, but haven't had too much trouble on the actual OLT. Of course having said that a walker was choppered out last year because he couldn't get through the snow, I'm sure it's on this forum somewhere.
On the whole I think if you're prepared and allow a couple of extra days you should be fine, but of course Tasmanian weather is a fickle thing. I love the stillness and mystery of Tasmanian highlands covered in snow, so happy winter walking!
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit"
Hermione
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby icefest » Fri 08 Apr, 2016 9:42 am

North to South. That way you know what the weather will be like for the most exposed bits. It also allows you to spend those hard earned extra days that you planned for bad weather at pine valley and go up the labyrinth in snow.
That way you can choose to take snowshoes if the weather requires it, and if the forecast is good only take microspikes.

Are you walking solo?

You'll still need a good snow tent. Don't bother with a snow shovel but take some poles with snow baskets.

I did my first long walk on the OT, also in winter, just like you. We had snow fall every day and had a great time. The photo at the bottom is from a side trip near the end of that trip.

aloftas wrote:I was just saying, that it isn't always easy, to find a 6x4 footprint, and just think NNW what is smoothed out by the snow, may contain a cusion plant, or some other humanoid intolerant species.

The thing about snow that's deep enough to smooth out the ground and still be solid is that it's also strong enough to spread your weight. This means that those cushion plants are well protected.
This is an exposed and sensitive alpine marsh in summer. Cushion grass galore.
and please don't call me dear, or other pet names. It's as inappropriate as calling a nurse 'sister'.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Fri 08 Apr, 2016 1:01 pm

icefest wrote:...and please don't call me dear, or other pet names. It's as inappropriate as calling a nurse 'sister'.

Don't worry, you're probably safe. Some people can't help but be patronising once they realise they're addressing a woman. :roll:
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Jayps68 » Fri 08 Apr, 2016 3:39 pm

icefest wrote:Are you walking solo?

and please don't call me dear, or other pet names. It's as inappropriate as calling a nurse 'sister'.

I am planning on walking solo, although my wife is encouraging me to find a simlarly deranged companion.

As for calling anyone "dear' or any other term that may seem patronizing, I assume equality, particularly in this forum, where once the boots and packs are on, were all playing the same game, and facing the same challenges. If steep hills and bad weather don't discrimate, what gives me the right to?

Thanks for the tip. BTW what tent are you using there?
Jayps68
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Nuts » Fri 08 Apr, 2016 4:16 pm

Meh, stormy in that that teacup.

I dropped some experienced forum members at LSC last winter. There was a few hints of their epic on here. It was a day or two before the start of our mega snow and they chose not to take s/shoes. As I understand even continuing was questionable and turning back, in the week later, wasn't possible (they had some luck on their side but it was hard going). Extreme case but S-N adds uncertainty to plans that sound like they should be rather conservative.

That said, personally i'd not bother with a heavy '5 season' tent solo on that track, take a bivy bag perhaps? and something lighter. The 'plan' for solo winter should be to expect huts and sheltered campsites. As long as the extreme is covered it doesn't need to look pretty (or weigh a tonne), just add in some redundancy. It's possible to camp in many places far more exposed than the designated sites but then there's no real need.. and little benefit in planning for it other than as a backup.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Winter OLT. N-S or S-N?

Postby RonK » Fri 08 Apr, 2016 5:25 pm

Nuts wrote:That said, personally i'd not bother with a heavy '5 season' tent solo on that track, take a bivy bag perhaps? and something lighter. The 'plan' for solo winter should be to expect huts and sheltered campsites. As long as the extreme is covered it doesn't need to look pretty (or weigh a tonne), just add in some redundancy. It's possible to camp in many places far more exposed than the designated sites but then there's no real need.. and little benefit in planning for it other than as a backup.

In that case, why not just take a tarp and buy a bodybag from the visitors centre (as I have done). :)
RonK

Postby icefest » Fri 08 Apr, 2016 7:01 pm

Jayps68 wrote:I am planning on walking solo, although my wife is encouraging me to find a simlarly deranged companion.

As for calling anyone "dear' or any other term that may seem patronizing, I assume equality, particularly in this forum, where once the boots and packs are on, were all playing the same game, and facing the same challenges. If steep hills and bad weather don't discrimate, what gives me the right to?

Thanks for the tip. BTW what tent are you using there?

I went with someone else - even now I wouldn't do it it solo just because I'd have to carry much more stuff if not sharing gear.

I very much agree with your assessment of the use of the term 'dear', that statement was directed at another person.

Oh, that's an old Vango force 10. I hired from a Uni club, but had to patch a couple things and fix a pole before using it. It's badly designed and heavy - I wouldn't suggest buying one.
I now use a Hilleberg Kaitum for when the bad weather is unavoidable or the trip is too long for decent weather forecasts (otherwise I'm a tarp guy).

If you're going N-S a 3+ season tent should be fine (if the forecast is good a day before) as most of the exposed sections where you might have to make an emergency camp is near the start.
Bad weather or S-N you want to have a 4 season tent and spare days (+ a way to spend the extra days in the north when you get there)
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Fri 08 Apr, 2016 7:49 pm

Just realised that this comment is probably not relevant - as far as I know, the Hungry Wombat isn't open in winter. Most disappointing.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Fri 08 Apr, 2016 8:27 pm

north-north-west wrote:

Just realised that this comment is probably not relevant - as far as I know, the Hungry Wombat isn't open in winter. Most disappointing.

Definitely open in winter but they close at 5pm instead of 6pm.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Fri 08 Apr, 2016 8:37 pm

I've been past there at 3pm in winter at least five times and they've been closed.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Fri 08 Apr, 2016 10:06 pm

north-north-west wrote:I've been past there at 3pm in winter at least five times and they've been closed.

They might have knocked off early if really quiet. I used to pass through every Friday and would often only just make it a few minutes before closing for a coffee and a chinwag with Wendy before continuing on to Hobart.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain