Fungi season - when to go?

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Fungi season - when to go?

Postby Poland » Mon 30 Nov, 2015 8:04 pm

Hi everyone, warm welcome from cold Poland. We are around 0C now :)

I'm preparing to visit Australia first time and complete the Overland Track. Now, I take my time do my "homework" and search for some information on the Internet, however I would like to ask for some help to dispel my doubts.
Short question from me: when should I book the entrance to admire OT fungi season and all these colorful autumn views?
I'd like to take advantage of 'fungi season' which looks absolutely unique. If I'm right, April is the best period (if I'm wrong, please correct me)? But when exactly would you suggest to come? First half of the month or maybe in the middle or later?

It would be breat to visit Tasmania in combination nice weather conditions, temperature and fungi availability :)

Just want to be prepared with all organizational steps before booking the flights.

Thanks a lot,
B.
Poland
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Re: Fungi season - when to go?

Postby DaveNoble » Fri 04 Dec, 2015 7:31 pm

April - May - June and onwards, but as the season progresses the weather is often worse (but you do need wet weather for good fungi). There is a very active Tasmanian Fungi Facebook Page that you may want to join.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain