get there and back

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

get there and back

Postby samh » Mon 11 May, 2009 7:08 pm

Hi,
I'm planning to do the OLT this June from north to south, and I'm wondering what are the best options to get there and back. I live in Launceston and have a car but I guess car is probably not the best option.

Sam
samh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: get there and back

Postby the_camera_poser » Mon 11 May, 2009 10:18 pm

Sam, there's quite a few van services that drop people off at Cradle. I would presume they'd pick up from the other end as well.
the_camera_poser

Postby corvus » Mon 11 May, 2009 10:50 pm

samh wrote:Hi,
I'm planning to do the OLT this June from north to south, and I'm wondering what are the best options to get there and back. I live in Launceston and have a car but I guess car is probably not the best option.

Sam

There is a really good service based in Sheffield which will drop off and pick up from either end sorry cant remember the exact name but contact The Backpackers Barn in Devonport and they will direct you to Simon :)
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby the_camera_poser » Mon 11 May, 2009 11:14 pm

Right here in Sheffield hey? That's useful to know.
the_camera_poser

Postby corvus » Tue 12 May, 2009 2:37 pm

Just remembered the name of the company and they are in Latrobe now
check out their site http://www.tasmaniantourcompany.com.au
c

EDIT by Mod - fixed URL link.
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby samh » Tue 12 May, 2009 3:00 pm

thank you for that link, do you have any idae how expensive they are? I wonder the cheapest option would probably be paying a someone to bring me there and pcik me up. In summertime it would be probably easier to find someone who is driving anyway, but in winter its a bit harder to find someone who wants to go for a daytrip to cradle. Has anyone tried hitchhiking to get there and back?
samh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Tue 12 May, 2009 3:34 pm

Sorry cannot help you with prices send them an email for a Quote.
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 12 May, 2009 7:49 pm

samh wrote:thank you for that link, do you have any idae how expensive they are? I wonder the cheapest option would probably be paying a someone to bring me there and pcik me up. In summertime it would be probably easier to find someone who is driving anyway, but in winter its a bit harder to find someone who wants to go for a daytrip to cradle. Has anyone tried hitchhiking to get there and back?

I have picked up somebody hitching hiking to Cradle (for the OT) once, a long time ago. But I wouldn't recommend it. Even on outer-suburban roads in Tasmania, hitch-hiking is very unreliable (it used to be my main mode of transport before I got my license, as there was no reliable bus service in my area). I recently picked up a hitch hiker coming back from the central plateau. He'd been dropped off at an intersection in the middle of nowhere (as his last ride wasn't going the same way he was) about 5 hours before I picked him up - and just as the temperature was dropping rapidly.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby mbd » Thu 21 May, 2009 11:17 pm

hi Samh,

i'm travelling south-north on the track departing lake st claire 26/5, and planning to be at cradle on monday/tuesday 1/2 june. I'd be prepared to do a car swap it that timing fitted in with your trip, (I am a little bit flexible with dates, but not much) (for example: i'd leave my car at st claire, pick up yours at cradle, and drive back to st claire to swap with mine) any thoughts??
matt
mbd
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby samh » Sun 24 May, 2009 12:13 pm

@MDB
check your PM
samh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides