Hammock hiking Overland Track

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Hammock hiking Overland Track

Postby Bidders » Sat 25 Jul, 2015 11:56 am

Hi. I'm a newby to this forum.
I'm a converted hammock hiker. My under quilt, top quilt, tarp, bug net, hammock setup is so comfortable dry and warm. As a sleeping solution with a total weight of 1.6 kg
I can comfortably sleep to 0 deg C. If I thought it could go below 0 extra insulation would still be a light setup.
I love it! The tree straps are designed with the tree in mind. Hammock hiking IMO is the best low impact solution.
Just wondering what the latest thought/experience is with regards to using this type of system on the overland track?
I have used this system on the South Coast Track and it was brilliant!
Bidders
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Hammock hiking Overland Track

Postby RambleLuster » Thu 06 Aug, 2015 10:30 pm

Wow! I've never heard of hammock hiking- that sounds fascinating!

In terms of hammock hiking the Overland, I would definitely suggest “extra insulation” in the winter.

I finished the trek a couple weeks ago. Don’t know the exact temperature, but I’m fairly sure it was circa. zero each night, and definitely below near the North end.

The only other aspect would be setting up in a “designated” camping area. From what I remember, the tent platforms are often set up in clearings and wouldn’t work with a tarp.

But, as long as you’re near a shelter and suspended I can’t see how you’d make a difference in the site, impact-wise.

It sounds like you’re pretty experienced in sleeping this way…. How’d you find out about it (if you don’t mind me asking)? Are there forums/ websites I could browse for more info?
RambleLuster
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby DanShell » Thu 06 Aug, 2015 11:04 pm

HI there Bidders
Hammocking is taking its time to become popular in Australia thats for sure.

To answer your question check this young fella out, he hammock his way along the OLT no problems at all. He made a 6 part youtube playlist of it.

DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby ofuros » Fri 07 Aug, 2015 1:02 am

Try here for more hammock info, Rambleluster.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forum.php

Big friendly forum dedicated to hanging from trees. 8-)

Sent from my X550 using Tapatalk
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain