Overland in June 09

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Overland in June 09

Postby wildkai » Sat 18 Apr, 2009 11:55 am

Hello,

I will be walking the overland this June and it will be the first time I've done a walk during the winter (Let alone Tassie!). I have walked the South West Track so think I have some idea of what I'm in for (May be completely wrong though).

I've read the other Overland in winter threads but would value any basic advice that would be essential to a succesful walk.

I'd specifically like advice about the type of emergency tent / shelter to take. I've got a Mont Moondance 2 but I'm thinking about buying an OR Alpine Bivvy to save the weight. I'm trying to weigh up the pros and cons of both shelter types.

Please help!

Thanks!

Kai
wildkai
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Re: Overland in June 09

Postby Nuts » Sun 19 Apr, 2009 7:56 am

It's nice out there in winter.
I would recommend snowshoes if you want to stick within a couple of days of a 'schedule'. Otherwise plan to Stay as long as it takes. Even with them realise that the track is not so obvious in places when the snow gets deep.
I wouldn't rely on the huts having gas.
Be especially careful if you attempt the side trips (peaks) with any snow cover
Make decisions slowly and carefully, you may be a long time for help
I have used that bivy and it would be OK backup (with a good sleeping bag) if you were planning on using the huts but I wouldn't spend the night out in it by choice, especially if there is rain about or the mercury plummets.
Good Luck :wink:
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby wildkai » Thu 23 Apr, 2009 8:40 pm

Thank you for the advice Nuts.
wildkai
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby hallwalker19 » Wed 29 Apr, 2009 2:37 pm

I've searched about the Emergency Bivvy that you can take...

This is like a sleeping bag, this Heatsheets® emergency bivvy will keep you out of the cold. More compact, lightweight design features a quiter, more durable polyethylene material. Reflects 90% of your body heat. Fits one person. Put these in your home emergency or survival kit.

Once you climb in this bivvy, you begin to feel the warmth. This is your own body heat not escaping into the air as it normally does. Instead it's contained within the confines of the emergency bivvy and around you where it belongs.

Wind is also a sapper of body heat, especially if you're wet. Without a protective layer blocking the wind, you can quickly lose your own insulating abilities. Wind can not penetrate this material and can not rob you of your own warmth. This emergency bivvy is effective as a wind blocker keeping your vital body heat around you.

The Heatsheets® material used in this emergency bivvy represents a more durable, quieter, reflective material than the traditional mylar, polyester, space blanket products. Most importantly, the Heatsheets® polyethylene material is not subject to catastrophic rips that would render a mylar, or polyester blanket useless, exposing you to the elements and potentially much worse.

:D

Emergency Bivvy
hallwalker19
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Postby tasadam » Sat 02 May, 2009 5:31 pm

Hello Wildkai.
You say in your original post
I'd specifically like advice about the type of emergency tent / shelter to take.
Is this because you are intending to use the huts, but (as everyone should) carrying a shelter in case you don't make it to a hut one night, or for some other reason cannot stay in a hut?

If that is the case, might I suggest the most recent post preceeding mine referrs to an emergency bivvy only, and in my opinion not suitable as a shelter for the Overland Track. Let's face it, what kind of shelter will it offer you for under $16? While it might be a reasonable shelter to take with you on a day walk in case you don't make it back (it gives you the means to survive), it is by far not the sort of shelter you are going to get a restful sleep in, which you will need on a walk such as the Overland Track.

The OR Alpine Bivvy you speak of, I cannot offer an opinion as I have never used a bivvy. But nothing beats the room of a tent. You can have a tent like this for little more than 1 kilogram above the OR bivvy.
It is expensive though - as discussed here on this forum.

would value any basic advice that would be essential to a succesful walk
Do you have anyone to go with? Might be an idea if you've never done a winter walk in Tassie.
What's your navigation like in snow and blizzard?
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby wildkai » Tue 12 May, 2009 6:44 pm

Hi Adam,

Yes, I'm absolutely intending to stay in the huts and am just using the tent for back up.

I've ended up scoring a Bunker1 from Ebay. It's not a lot lighter than the Moondance2 but it's a lot more suitable and I feel confident with it.

I'm really keen on the idea of doing the walk solo and relying only on myself and my own judgement. I couldn't say what my navigation skills are like in snow/ blizzard conditions but am planning on taking my time and being safe.

Kai
wildkai
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby tasadam » Tue 12 May, 2009 8:22 pm

Sounds like a nice thing to do so long as you are prepared for it, and have the time and resources (enough food / bog roll etc) to take as long as you need.
All the best!

Just to tease you -
kiaora-1036pm-midwinter07.jpg
1 minute 11 second exposure from Kia Ora hut at 10:36PM mid winter
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Kainas » Wed 13 May, 2009 4:35 pm

I envy you. The Overland Track mid-winter is on my to-do list. Though I intend to have a go at it in the warmer months first.
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby cherryw » Thu 14 May, 2009 4:39 pm

Hi
Did it last July. The photo is at Pelion Gap, -2 deg, 70 klm winds and snowing. A lovley day out walking.

and the track we followed

It was about a metre deep in some places. Just another thing, if you plan to do solo hire a PLB/EPIRB as you never know when you need it.
more photos here http://www.pbase.com/cherryw/the_overland_walk__cradle_mt_to_lake_st_clair__1722_july_2008
Wayne
"We are not actually lost,....... just temporarily misplaced."
cherryw
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Ent » Thu 14 May, 2009 5:22 pm

Contents removed by poster
Last edited by Ent on Fri 12 Nov, 2010 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby dee_legg » Thu 14 May, 2009 5:48 pm

Hi Wayne, great photos! Just curious how you ended up in a helicopter?
dee_legg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby cherryw » Thu 14 May, 2009 7:14 pm

Hi Dee

Here is a quote from a previous post of mine.
The other time we used one was on the OT last July walking South to North. We hired a PLB/EPIRB at the rangers office. On day 6 at Windermere I came down with something and about 12am started vomiting, dry reaching and could not keep anything down. My mate decided to activate the PLB/EPIRB and after 2 attempts the helicopter landed at 6am. After being examined by the medical officer they decided to airlift us out and I spent the rest of the day at Devenport Hospital. We asked them about who foots the bill as we also had ambulance cover to which they advised us that when a PLB/EPRIB is activated the Commonwealth picks up the tab as in the Ted Bullimore episode in the Southern Artic Ocean which cost millions. In hindsite setting it off may have been a bit hasty but you never know.

In a nutshell they never found anything wrong with me as I may have just picked up a bug.

I will go back one day and complete it from South to North.

Wayne
cherryw
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby samh » Sat 16 May, 2009 2:53 pm

I also plan to do the OLT this June. At the moment I try to figure out which is the better option, if the weather permits, to climb Mt Ossa. Should I leave everything at Pelion or Kia Ora Hut and do it as a day walk or can I do it as a sidetrip on the way and just leave my pack at the base of Ossa? Problem is that in winter the days are shorter and I think that there is no other campsite in between the two huts or am I wrong?

Sam
samh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby cherryw » Sat 16 May, 2009 4:53 pm

Hi Sam

The photos of me are at the junction of Pelion East and Ossa. As you can see there is a lot of snow around there. Hope everything goes OK.

Wayne
cherryw
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby samh » Sat 16 May, 2009 5:50 pm

Hi Wayne,
WEll as I said it will depend on the weather. My question was, what is the better option to do Ossa. Should I do it as a daywalk from one of the huts, if yes which one would be better, or should I do it on the way from pelion hut to Kia Ora hut?
samh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Sat 16 May, 2009 6:28 pm

I've always found the climb to Pelion Gap easier from Kia Ora. And yes, in winter if going up Ossa I would to it as a day trip from a hut. The biggest question is probably whether you're more likely to find coal (and dry kindling) at Kia Ora or gas at New Pelion if you really need help to warm up afterwards.
Personally, I'd probably think about it and decide to give the climb a miss, but then I'm getting lazy in my advanced middle-age . . .
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby cherryw » Sat 16 May, 2009 10:09 pm

Hi Sam

Sorry if you misunderstood what I ment. What I was trying to say was that if the conditions at pelion gap are that bad then I would not attempt Ossa. I have climbed Ossa in March but would not attempt it if these are the conditions. Wether you leave from one of the huts and make it a day trip or do it as a side trip is up to you. Also when we did it there was nearly no coal at Kiora and no gas at Pelion (nor Windermere). These are the things you must take into account.
The final choice is up to you but good luck on your walk and let us know how it goes.

Wayne
cherryw
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Nuts » Mon 18 May, 2009 7:29 pm

Yep, I'd agree, no reason to head up if it's looking like that (hormones or no)...

As mentioned the turnoff is pretty much equal distance from either hut (and not that far 1 1/2ish) so really, there is little point in not taking you pack and leaving it there. That way you also have closer access to all your gear should it be dry and sunny at the gap when you leave and looking like that ^^^^ 30mins later....

All the best Nuts
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Mon 18 May, 2009 11:00 pm

Interesting to read that "heating " may not be available in the OLT huts, please dont rely on this offchance and ensure you have adequate clothing and sleeping bag to see you through this winter wonderland.
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby Taurë-rana » Wed 20 May, 2009 3:37 pm

Why on earth would Parks not keep up the coal and gas to the huts in winter? I would have thought it was more critical then than in summer. :!:
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Wed 20 May, 2009 4:19 pm

Hi Annie, they have a budget, despite endless angst there is no way to sway people from wasting gas all summer- as soon as the mercury drops. FGS, they open the windows when it gets hot whilst still cranking the heater!....You would expect that the sensible option would be to restock around this time of the year, but then 'expecting' active heating works against what would be encouraged for those experienced enough to be out there at this time of the year (so i hold no grudges on this one) Providing 'comforts' has no upper limit...... just thoughts
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Wed 20 May, 2009 5:24 pm

G'day DA,
I suspect that gas/coal is provided during the fee paying season to ensure that Overlanders from near and far can drape their wet gear all over the heaters in the false hope that it will be dry in the morning :roll:
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby mbd » Thu 21 May, 2009 11:27 pm

hi all,
i'm walking s/n next tues, gee i hope there is gas/ coal.... can't believe that parks wouldn't have fuel for winter... sure he ot has fees for summer, but surely thats not about fuel?? I wam well prepared for track.. all the right gear...and hopefully enough experience.... but I did have an expectation that I could use huts as a refuge agaist the elements. I cold hut is much worse that cold tent!! My body will warm up tent a bit, but hut...no way! Am I silly to be taking a 12yo in this environment with out the huts as a real back up?? We have walked sections of OT at this time over the last 3 years... but not whole thing. ?? matt
mbd
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Nuts » Fri 22 May, 2009 1:21 pm

Hiya MBD,

Dont think anyone has actually said that the huts Are outa gas, but it can happen at any time. You could check with parks if your worried but really, I wouldnt let that determine whether you go or not... You say you have been out there at this time of the year, so at least you have a feel for the area. People deal with bad weather and cold at all different levels some let themselves in for a nightmare, others are more stoic, same with kids.

I see people come on here with the big 'adventure' of mid winter overland trips in mind, doing it solo, braving the wilds. It's not Antarctica but deserves respect. Deep snow, navigational hazards and poor preparation can lead to disasters... Nothing you read here should convince you otherwise. Having said that, you could have no rain, sunny days and snow at just the right times. Perhaps not, you may just have an arduous week and be uncomfortable (like the vast amount of others). If circumstances combine against you perhaps (on the vary rare occasion), you may not survive. Things to keep in mind... It will never (despite technology or information) be a place for the novice, in mid winter on their first adventure.

^^^ More general observations than for you MBD, i dont know your personal skills or maturity of the 'youngster'..

Cheers nuts
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Fri 22 May, 2009 6:14 pm

mbd wrote:hi all,
all the right gear...and hopefully enough experience.... but I did have an expectation that I could use huts as a refuge agaist the elements. I cold hut is much worse that cold tent!! My body will warm up tent a bit, but hut...no way! Am I silly to be taking a 12yo in this environment with out the huts as a real back up?? We have walked sections of OT at this time over the last 3 years... but not whole thing. ?? matt

mbt ,
If you are as well equipped as you have stated and as Nuts indicated your feel your 12 yo will be as good as you are on a walk like this don't hold back.
As a father who did this with my son from the age of 11 to 18 every year and who as a local ventured to other locations on the OLT on many weekends in between(including deep snow , a couple of times we had to turn back on w/e trips) I believe you will have no problems if you use common sense.
Tents in the cold are cold, Huts in the cold can be cold ! but you can do star jumps and other exercises in a hut ,it is also warmer and drier if you experience deep snow or pouring rain.
Check out the Gallery page for the BWT Strollers walk to Dixon's Kingdom that we did last weekend ,the hut was warm and cosy no heating however one tent collapsed (3 season only) so don't be put off just be prepared and enjoy your walk.
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby samh » Fri 22 May, 2009 7:35 pm

As mentioned above I'm also doing the track in June this year. At the moment I'm busy planning and preparing. I"m just not 100% sure how many thermal long johns to bring 2 should be enough? and which material would be the better option. I got a polyprop..thing and thinking about a merion one. Or do you reckon the polyprop are better. another option would be fleece but thats bulky and heavy. So whats your advice
samh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Fri 22 May, 2009 8:52 pm

Polypro x two will be plenty one to wear and one to sleep in however now that you have asked that I am questioning if you you are really ready to do this walk in Winter sorry.!!
This is stuff you should know about b4 you even attempt extendended winter walking (even on the OLT),perhaps you should submit a gear list to let forum members know what you really have and we could offer advice as to if you have the gear to do this :)
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby samh » Fri 22 May, 2009 9:02 pm

Fair enough to ask that. I just was wondering if one was enough, normally I dont wear one while sleeping. My sleeping bag WM Ultralight gives me usally enough warmth even to -5 -6 with wearing only a boxer. I'll post A list if I get around writing one :)
samh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby samh » Fri 22 May, 2009 9:31 pm

Normally I don't like lists so that is what I came up with. The list is not complete, just to give you a very rough idea

Clothes

1 short sleeve merino top (wear)
2 long sleeve merino top
2 long john's polypropylene
2 underpants
2 liner socks (wear one)
2 wool socks(wear one)
2 fleece jumper (wear one)
1 Zip-off pants (wear)
1 waterproof pants
1 waterproof jacket
1 Gaiters (wear)
1 beanie
1 gloves

Sleeping

4 season tent Exped Sirius Extreme
WM Ultralight
silk liner
3.8cm self inflatable mattress

Cooking

Trangia cookset
fuel
spoon
cup
(no plate eat out of zip-lock bag)

Other stuff like head torch, pocket knive, camera, towel, compass, EPIRB, 1st aid kit, food ...bla bla are not listed
samh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wildkai » Sat 23 May, 2009 11:09 am

Here's mine.... It's a little OCDish. I think a list is good as a checklist to make sure you've packed everything you need! Also if something happens out there people know what you've got/haven't got with you. Or just OCD... This list is for all three.

I don't know if what I've got is overkill but I'd rather be over-prepared having never done a winter walk.

Equipment / Clothing List:

SHELTER/SLEEPING
-Tent - 1 person, 4 season,
freestanding. Orange in colour.
-Sleeping Bag - Down.
Comfort level of -3'C and
extreme of -19'C
-Thermolight Bag Liner -
Adds a few degrees of
warmth to sleeping bag
-Sleeping Mat - Full length,
4 seaon.