Firt Time On The Track

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Firt Time On The Track

Postby RambleLuster » Sun 14 Jun, 2015 12:34 pm

Hey guys,

I’m planning on hiking the track from N-S in early July; the first night with my boyfriend and the rest solo. I’ve got a few questions…

1- Would the Dove Lake car parkScot Kilvert Hut loop be feasible (and enjoyable) for somebody with little-no experience trekking? My partner wants to come for a night, but I don’t want to scare him off of hiking forever!

2- Tent wise I have nothing. Is there a way to rent/ hire one?

3- Gaiters…. Are they super necessary? I have a pair of combat boots I like to trek in that lace up at my calf.

4- I'm bad with trail navigation, and am pretty nervous about how well the track will be marked… esp. in winter conditions. Is this a reasonable fear, or is it marked fairly obviously. Any suggestions on this would be appreciated.

4- Also, in terms of transportation, are there any friendly peoples hiking early-mid July & willing to give me a lift from Cynthia Bay to Launceston (for gratitude and gas moneys)? Alternatively, are there any busses that go to and from that end of the track? I might post this again closer to our departure date….

Thankssss :)
RambleLuster
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Firt Time On The Track

Postby Tassieoptom » Mon 15 Jun, 2015 7:40 pm

1. Yes I think so, I love twisted lakes and hanson's peak. Remember doing both on my first bushwalking day ever in Tasmania. Often quieter at that hut too. Depends on the snow I guess.

2. Yes can hire pretty sure it can be with mountain bike Tasmania in Launceston.

3. Gaiters, I would not do the OT without, but I know people who do. Will keep your legs and boots more free of mud, dew, frost and snow.

4. Seem to remember the trail to Twisted lakes being a be hard to see in fog/mist. But easy to retrack and find the trail again. Rest of OT is well marked. No worries.

5. We aim to finish at narcissus and catch the 1.00pm ferry to Cynthia bay on the 12th July. But are heading to Hobart, sorry.

Good luck.
“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
Tassieoptom
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Nuts » Wed 17 Jun, 2015 6:49 am

Tassilink is the public bus service, they have a reduced winter timetable and I doubt Launceston direct, some of the charter operators may have already-booked groups. Makes sense to work around them first to save some money?

Paddy Palin in Launceston hire bushwalking gear (and snowshoes..) as do some of the transport operators, make sure you get a good tent, consider ice cleats (snowshoes if you can't plan for a few spare days in case of heavier dumps). The track is well marked though can be a very slow slog in snow, with the occasional heavy fall the track itself can be hard to follow other than between the tops of marker poles.

Solo walkers are not uncommon but you should be certain of your plans, experience and backups with (i'd suggest, especially) no qualms about turning back. Lots more people than we hear about have had 'epics' out there. Can otherwise be at it's best with good clear weather & with a fresh dusting of snow! :)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Jeffoir1 » Fri 19 Jun, 2015 8:53 pm

Hi. Yes, you can bus it to the Hobart Tasslink depot from Derwent Bridge, or Cynthia Bay depending on the day of the week, and then connect to Launceston. It will be a winter timetable, and may not be conveniently timed, but you can do it. Cheaper than hiring a car, or chartering Maxwell's Coaches to collect you. Mind you, Maxwell's offer an excellent service, but for one person, it would be expensive.
Safe travels,
Jeffoir
Walking takes longer... Thus it stretches time and prolongs life. Life is already too short to waste on speed. ~ Edward Abbey
Jeffoir1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby zorro » Thu 20 Aug, 2015 1:19 pm

An accident waiting to happen !!!!
zorro
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain