Desktop version
Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.

Forum rules

Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15
Post a reply

Oakleigh

Fri 08 May, 2015 5:48 pm

If anyone has thought - as I did when last heading in via Maggs/ArmRiver - that it would be really neat if TasPAWS diverted a little of the OT pass money to duckboard the worst of the Oakleigh track (you know, the really muddy bits where it passes over the Pelion Plains and starts up through the forest), I have news for you:
c-24139.jpg

They were almost into the trees two weeks back. By now - unless they've left it for the winter - it should have gone a good bit further. Well done and about *&%$#! time.

Re: Oakleigh

Fri 08 May, 2015 6:23 pm

Yep good work. There has been a lot up on Pelion Gap and surrounds including the start of Ossa.

Someone was saying the track at the start of the ART has been altered too?

Fri 08 May, 2015 6:23 pm

Yay! It was in the forest, i think, that I sunk in to my waist, with nothing solid beneath. Fortunately I could just reach some grass to pull myself out. Put my foot a few cms off where I'd tested with my pole, and I was gone. :(

It's such a beautiful mountain, and the track gets enough foot traffic to make it a priority in my book.

Fri 08 May, 2015 6:52 pm

Yayyayyay!
No more lost bushwhackers being found by their floating hats in the miry depths of that fetid swamp.

Fri 08 May, 2015 7:45 pm

DanShell wrote:Yep good work. There has been a lot up on Pelion Gap and surrounds including the start of Ossa.

Someone was saying the track at the start of the ART has been altered too?

Yeah the ART is now a series of switch backs instead of the really steep climb. It follows more or less the same route just that it isn't nose to the hill anymore.
Whilst I am a favour of track work generally I would have thought that the first hour of the ART whilst a bit steep really wasn't degrading and hurting the environment like the many button grass tracks around the state in need of duck boarding, think Arthur Plains.
It is really great to see the work continuing and the money being used to make a difference

Fri 08 May, 2015 8:03 pm

DanShell wrote:Someone was saying the track at the start of the ART has been altered too?

Supposedly they've turned the really steep climb into a zig zag. Wouldn't know, I went in and out via Maggs.

Fri 15 May, 2015 6:50 am

Yay 2 - most excellent news
Post a reply