Narcissus hut upgraded

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Narcissus hut upgraded

Postby Analog6 » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 9:20 am

Overland Track Rangers and contractors are hard at work giving Narcissus hut, at the end of the Overland Track, a much needed revitalisation.

The team has worked through all types of weather imaginable, accomplishing a range of tasks.
They have reroofed the hut, constructed tent platforms, added a front verandah, renovated the bunk room and constructed new bunks using recycled timber. Floor sections have been lifted to assess the subfloor for rot and new tongue and groove boards have been used to patch the floor.

Work continues for the next fortnight with the team focusing their efforts on renovating the common room.

Funds raised by the Overland Track pass have made this work possible.

There are a couple of pics on their FaceBook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tasmania ... nref=story
Analog6
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Narcissus hut upgraded

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 9:34 am

Was just there in late Dec and thought it was pretty good. Good to know that they are making it even better.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby DanShell » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 9:34 am

I gather we can use the platforms but not the hut at this stage??
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby bumpingbill » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 10:28 am

Nice!

Though I wish Parks would put up more photos rather than just 1-2. It's something people love to see. It'll increase engagement and keep people looking and talking.
bumpingbill
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 9:59 pm

Agreed, Bill.

Looks good, camping platforms are a must.
South_Aussie_Hiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: South Australia

Postby Scottyk » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 10:04 pm

Do many people actually camp there?
I haven't seen anyone stopping there but maybe I have been there at the the wrong times?
Scottyk

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tasgear.com.au

Postby icefest » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 10:49 pm

While feature creep is contunually on my mind, this sounds like a reasonable job. A bigger focus on environmental protection than comfort.

It gets a fair amount of use, mainly the early AM ferry OT walkers and winter walkers,
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby hobbitle » Wed 25 Mar, 2015 5:00 am

Scottyk wrote:Do many people actually camp there?
I haven't seen anyone stopping there but maybe I have been there at the the wrong times?

We used it because we hated the vibe of that new giant mansion before it so we walked on,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hobbitle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 25 Mar, 2015 6:52 am

Whilst the changes have doubtless made the hut more functional, from the very limited pictures on the PWS website the character of the old hut is missing. The wider verandah is good. Does anyone know if it is mandatory to use the platforms when camping?
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Nuts » Wed 25 Mar, 2015 7:10 am

icefest wrote:While feature creep is contunually on my mind, this sounds like a reasonable job. A bigger focus on environmental protection than comfort.

Me too. That focus has historically been the guiding principle of infrastructure works, especially those generated from within the park. I know the workers generally assume their role is protectionist, rather than promotional, as you'd expect, mostly a sincere care for the bush is a given.

Anyhow..the platforms are new (in the old footprints) (of course)- no, you don't have to camp on the platforms provided anywhere in the park. It just makes perfect sense to do so.

As I understand the hut is open to use by walkers at night (while the works continue).

Well done!, it's good to see some money filter back. The verandah will be more useable, lots of groups congregate there at times even if not staying.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wander » Wed 25 Mar, 2015 12:40 pm

Scottyk wrote:Do many people actually camp there?

We have often ended up camping at Narcissus on the way in or out, either using the boat or too tuckered out to push onto Echo Point. Or in one instance we knew a large group was on the way to Echo Point and there would be no tent space for us.

We stayed in the hut once and was reminded why we don't normally, the snoring was un-bearable.

Not fussed by the hut upgrade but the tent platforms sound good. Some of the tent sites are swamps when wet.
wander

Region: South Australia

Postby horsecat » Wed 25 Mar, 2015 1:51 pm

An overnight trip to Narcissus is a nice way to see some of the southern reserve if you don't have much time. Platforms are a big improvement (four newbies when I was there not too long ago)...and it's the first time I've camped next to a cement mixer...The hut could be used after 6pm but that may have changed in the recent weeks
GOPR0324.jpg
horsecat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Overlandman » Wed 03 Jun, 2015 4:42 pm

From ABC

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-03/f ... ection=tas

Bushwalkers finishing the popular Overland Track bushwalk through central Tasmania will now have a more comfortable end to the trip after the restoration of a historic bush hut.

A 53-year-old hut near Lake St Clair in Tasmania's Central Highlands has been renovated to improve the experience for walkers as they finish the Overland Track.

Narcissus Hut is at the northern end of the lake, and provides shelter to walkers as they wait for the ferry ride to Cynthia Bay.

The 1963 hut was renovated over summer by the Parks and Wildlife Service.

New additions include a front verandah, bunk platforms, tables with bench seating and gas heating.

Outside the hut there are new camping platforms, picnic tables and stone steps that lead to the river.

Parks and Wildlife north-west region manager Nic Deka said Overland Track walking fees were used to fund the project.

"The hut and overall site needed an upgrade given its importance in forming the final impressions that walkers take away from their Overland Track experience," he said.

"With the recent installation of a departure point at Ronny Creek at Cradle [Mountain] and the similar completion point at Lake St Clair, this project, along with the Narcissus Hut renovation, has really lifted the overall walkers' experience."

Parks and Wildlife considered replacing it again, but settled on an upgrade to preserve its historical significance as the last remaining hut to be built by Tasmania's Scenery Preservation Board.

From the Mercury
http://www.themercury.com.au/lifestyle/ ... 7380950293
Whatever, Wherever, Whenever
Overlandman
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby whynotwalk » Thu 04 Jun, 2015 11:50 am

I've been doing a little digging on the history of this hut, and found some old copies of "Peaks and High Places" (Ian Boss-Walker). The 1950 edition has a pic of the original hut, with shingle sides and roof. It was burned down in the early 1960s. Boss-Walker's 3rd edition shows the replacement hut, with Ranger Wally Connell out front. The final pic shows the newly refurbished 2015 version.

Sorry the scanned black & whites are poor, but you get the idea. It's good to see some continuity alongside the changes,

cheers

Peter

Narcissus Old.jpg
The original Narcissus hut, ca. 1950

Narcissus 1960s.jpg
Replacement Narcissus Hut, 1960s

Narcissus Refurb.jpg
The refurbished Narcissus Hut, 2015
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Thu 04 Jun, 2015 3:44 pm

Looking good. There'll be wheelchair ramps soon . . .
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 05 Jun, 2015 7:14 am

Does that mean the ferry will be upgraded soon to take wheelchairs too?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain