General OLT Questions

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Re: General OLT Questions

Postby Scottyk » Thu 14 Jan, 2016 9:39 pm

RonK wrote:
Sad - I don't think its removal has improved the landscape.

I was up there when they were doing the new stone work on the Ossa track and getting rid of the cordwood. The stone work looks great and lasts a life time.
It tanks a lot of time though. They had 2 guys on it and I reckon they had a few weeks up there.
BTW I have no attachment to the corded wood, horrible stuff! If your not slipping on the wood your tripping over the wire
Scottyk
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tasgear.com.au
Region: Tasmania

Postby north-north-west » Fri 15 Jan, 2016 7:02 am

Scottyk wrote:BTW I have no attachment to the corded wood, horrible stuff! If your not slipping on the wood your tripping over the wire
It does, however, bring back the memories. I'll be a bit sad when the last of the old cording goes.

They've even replaced the old split log bridge in the Pine Valley track with a new tanalised pine and composite fibre monstrosity. With the numbers going in there I suppose it's inevitable but it does detract from the ambience.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 15 Jan, 2016 8:12 am

north-north-west wrote:It does, however, bring back the memories. I'll be a bit sad when the last of the old cording goes.

They've even replaced the old split log bridge in the Pine Valley track with a new tanalised pine and composite fibre monstrosity. With the numbers going in there I suppose it's inevitable but it does detract from the ambience.

True. The old cording is a part of Tassie bushwalking history. Most people doing the track now have no idea what it was like 30-40 years ago, walker-eating mud, quite basic (by today's standards) attempts to allow us to not be immersed, wide braiding, wood fires ... Purely as a link to BW history, a section of cording could be retained. Those of us old enough to remember will value the memory.

Ambience is important. Horror designs like Windy Fridge and perhaps the Pine Valley bridge (which I have not seen) are ill-advised. Designs should be sympathetic with the environment. The old huts provided poor shelter at times, but they had a certain charm.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Previous

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain