Camping near Cradle Mountain

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Camping near Cradle Mountain

Postby matthias » Sun 14 Dec, 2008 10:31 pm

Hi,
I know it is a bit late, but for Saturday I have booked the Overland Track (first time) and I am still a bit unsure about where to stay for the first night. My bus arrives near the visitor centre around 11am and in Tyrone Thomas' latest book I read that you shouldn't head off after 10am and it would be good anyway to spend the first night around Pencil Pine to get used to the conditions. I also would like to keep the option to climb to Cradle summit and Marions Lookout without having to hurry all the time in order to be be at Waterfall Valley Hut in time. So I am still looking for a plan for my first day.

One option would be to go to the Cradle visitor centre, pick up the parks pass etc. and then leave the park again and camp one night at the Pencil Pine camp site outside the park. Another option would be to camp somewhere around Dove Lake, this way I could do a bit of walking but wouldn't need to reach Waterfall Valley Hut. There are a couple of huts shown on my map, like Kitchen Hut, but they are all marked as emergency huts and it looks like camping with a tent is not allowed there. I was always wondering how strict the rules are with emergency huts, is it absolutely not allowed to use them, or does the 'emergency' simply mean there are no facilities like toilets?

Any suggestions? Thanks!
matthias
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: Camping near Cradle Mountain

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 15 Dec, 2008 5:40 am

Yes, those huts are strictly for emergency only. No camping at all is allowed in the Cradle Mountain day walk area, either in huts or in tents. Waterfall Valley Hut is the first place along the Overland Track that camping is permitted at all (and Scott Kilvert Hut if you go around the other side of Cradle Mountain).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby matthias » Mon 15 Dec, 2008 10:33 am

I think somewhere I've seen a map showing that it is allowed to camp at the Lake Dove parking site. Can anyone confirm that?
matthias
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby frank_in_oz » Mon 15 Dec, 2008 10:38 am

Hi Matt,
No definitely not allowed.
There is even a specific sign there.

Walk to Scott Kilvett or stay on the edge of the park and head in early in the morning
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby matthias » Mon 15 Dec, 2008 11:10 am

Ah ok, thanks for that. I think I will make it dependent on the weather then.
matthias
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby eggs » Mon 15 Dec, 2008 11:14 am

In April, we came in on the bus from Launceston about 11 am and after registration etc started about midday. We had a pleasant but longer walk behind Hanson's Peak into the Scott-Kilvert Hut at Lake Rodway. We still got in in good time (sunset was about 5pm)
There would be more daytime available in summer (till after 8pm) - so time should not be a problem. And the normal route over Hanson's Peak is much quicker - with great views over Lake Dove and Cradle Mt.
The other advantage with staying at Scott-Kilvert (besides the very lovely Twisted Lakes, Artists Pool and the back of Cradle Mt) is that Cradle Mt is still within striking distance the next day - it just means a bit of back tracking from the track junction at the top of Cradle Cirque. If you did this - the 2nd night would probably be at Waterfall Valley.

Brian
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby matthias » Mon 15 Dec, 2008 12:02 pm

Thanks all, I think this is what I'll try to do. First night Scott Kilvert Hut, second day climbing Cradle Mtn and then Waterfall Valley Hut. Sounds good.
matthias
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain