Camera advice/opinion

Cameras, tripods, techniques, etc.
Forum rules
Please note that the extended image rules for the Gallery forum also apply here.

Camera advice/opinion

Postby jenintas » Wed 08 Feb, 2012 10:55 am

Hello

I am after an opinion on the Panasonic DMC-TZ20-K. I am a bit of a mug photographer, but want something of reasonable quality. I want to be able to take close ups of small things like plants and bugs etc, but also more general shots, especially for bushwalking.

I've been looking around and am getting more and more confused. I have just seen this camera advertised for $349 which seems like a good price.

Any opinions? Not sure if this one has been covered here before...apologies if it has.

Thanks

Jen
jenintas
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Camera advice/opinion

Postby Strider » Wed 08 Feb, 2012 12:32 pm

For the same kinda money, the Lumix FT3 will do everything that one can and has the added benefits of being waterproof and shockproof.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby jenintas » Wed 08 Feb, 2012 12:57 pm

Thanks for that Strider - and yes being waterproof would certainly be a plus, so will have a look at that one.

Jen
jenintas
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Drifting » Thu 09 Feb, 2012 10:52 pm

I'm with Strider- shock and waterproof is the best. Also look into the battery life. I prefer cameras with rechargeable batteries, but you might prefer the AA option.
All good things are wild, and free.
Drifting
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Nuts » Fri 10 Feb, 2012 8:06 am

The FT4 in the works: http://www.cnet.com.au/panasonic-lumix- ... 330726.htm Ive had a few w'proof cameras (FT3 is the latest), always a bit of a let down image wise. I'd go for better images if your the type to stop and have time for photos (ie you can get better value in some other panasonic compacts if you don't need the bombproof thing)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jenintas » Tue 14 Feb, 2012 5:50 am

Thanks Nuts - it seems like a matter of working out what trade offs to make. Have waterproof and lose quality in another area - more zoom, less of something else etc.

I guess I really just want something that will take a decent photo and that's not too expensive - and that probably covers a lot of cameras! There are just so many out there I find it a little confusing.
jenintas
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby tasadam » Tue 14 Feb, 2012 7:15 am

The first digital camera I owned was a point and shoot, with 10x optical zoom. I was impressed with it at first, but soon got frustrated at the inability to control the photography as I was used to doing in film (SLR cameras). Since then, I have had limited experience with a number of compact cameras, but the following things stick highest in my mind, in no particular order...
Optical zoom - digital zoom is simply cropping the image, and you can do that on your computer. Forget it in the camera, get the "optical" zoom you want.
Batteries - The P&S I purchased used 4 x AA batteries. I wanted that specifically, so I could swap batteries around between devices. sad thing was it died 3 times within a year, so was replaced under warranty - with the new model that used its own type of battery - more expense stocking up on batteries, and they didn't last long.
Image quality - this is where most Compact cameras have their downside. The most noticeable effect on an image to me is CA - Chromatic Aberration - coloured blooming of highlight edges within the photo. The better the lens, the less likely you will find CA. It is unlikely that you will find a Compact that eliminates CA, but you may well find some that use good lenses (Leica for example? Don't know, haven't seen them) and are able to control the CA as a result. It seems be more noticeable with zoom as well.
Ease of use - Can't beat a Compact camera for that, point and shoot is really accurate.

To me, $349 is somewhat well above an entry point for a Compact. Another option would be to buy (or borrow) a cheap compact and use it a bit, see what you like and don't like about it so you can make a more informed decision with your own money.

Have a google of
best compact camera
Plenty of articles that show a shortlist.
Good luck, and make sure you share your results here!
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Nuts » Tue 14 Feb, 2012 10:32 am

There is a lot to know Jen (as adam touches on), it can be a bit frustrating if you just want to grab something.

If you are interested in Panasonic the LX5 is a nice small option with excellent pic quality and sturdy build. Works well for landscapes/panoramas and close up. Not bombproof but popular amongst walkers just the same. I sold mine to another forum member, would have kept it if I could justify owning more than one compact camera.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasadam » Wed 15 Feb, 2012 10:45 am

Frank has just released an eBook - http://ourhikingblog.com.au/outdoor-pho ... -beginners
Check out the "expand" and have a read of the first chapter, it may well answer many of your questions.
Or for $8.50 you could buy the whole eBook, no doubt it has many other useful bits in it.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby frank_in_oz » Thu 16 Feb, 2012 6:16 am

Thanks Adam,
While we are not camera experts or brilliant photographers, we found putting this guide together with Stef, the author, a really great way to learn about the different options that are around.

We deliberately chose to explain what to look for, rather than specific brands. Mixing brands and models in a guide will just make it redundant really quickly. Over the process we upgraded an old "point and shoot" to a Sony CyberShot DSC - HX100V and have carried it (it's heavyish) on the few trips. It has a 30 x optical zoom which is brilliant! oh and a GPS to geotag the images. We are loving the images it creates , especially seeing we only use Full Auto and Pano!
Cheers
Frank
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Photography