This could be the choice for bushwalking photographers...

Cameras, tripods, techniques, etc.
Forum rules
Please note that the extended image rules for the Gallery forum also apply here.

Re: This could be the choice for bushwalking photographers..

Postby tasadam » Mon 01 Oct, 2012 7:01 pm

I should add, these edits are not perfect, nor are they meant to be, indeed they weren't saved as a file or cropped, but were taken as a partial screen capture. Additionally, the edit was done from a JPG image as found on flickr, not the RAW data from the camera.
It was only done to hopefully show the potential that lies within the image using some post processing.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac
Region: Tasmania

Postby wayno » Tue 02 Oct, 2012 6:47 am

be interesting to see what it does in raw.
i've done my dash with lugging SLR's around after my D300s. the new high end point and shoot and compact cameras come close enough to taking good photos for me. I don't miss the extra weight and bulk of the slr.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby photohiker » Tue 02 Oct, 2012 7:48 am

wildernesswanderer wrote:I was looking at the Fuji camera, certainly cheaper than a M9 but it's a dog. I would have used it for ceremony photo's but the AF is so slow I can focus a M9 faster. Still would be a nice hiking camera instead of my kit.

I have one, and I agree that when delivered the focus was considerably slower than any DSLR. This is not really an issue for casual shooting or landscapes. Fuji released Firmware 2.0 on 18 Sept (after your post here) which substantially improves a number of issues with the camera, focus being one of them. DPReview FW2.0 Summary. Whether this is enough of an improvement to suit your ceremony photos, I have no idea, but it may be worth checking out.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby biggbird » Tue 02 Oct, 2012 8:56 am

wayno wrote:be interesting to see what it does in raw.
i've done my dash with lugging SLR's around after my D300s. the new high end point and shoot and compact cameras come close enough to taking good photos for me. I don't miss the extra weight and bulk of the slr.

Haha produces very big files is what it does in RAW :P

I'm still young and silly, so lugging around heavy loads still seems like a good idea to me ;) But I can certainly see the appeal of taking a lighter kit!
biggbird
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby wildernesswanderer » Tue 02 Oct, 2012 6:15 pm

Nice to hear that Fuji has addressed some of the issues with the camera, will have to check one out again with the new firmware.

Come on the files from a D800 are not that big, my 4x5 trannies scanned with a drum scanner were close to 1 gigabyte each. I'd still be shooting and carrying it around if Fuji hadn't stopped making quickload film...

I guess it comes down to what your comfortable with, I guess the guys that like to carry the minimum of weight are never going to carry a big heavy camera. My full camera kit is 17kg, obviously I don't carry all of it if shooting landscapes. Fun trying to walk on to a plane with it though and not get sprung for the weight.
wildernesswanderer
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby wildlight » Sat 01 Dec, 2012 4:00 pm

wildernesswanderer wrote:Fun trying to walk on to a plane with it though and not get sprung for the weight.

Yeah, I used to cram 20 kg of toys into my day pack, did it for years on flights. Got busted at Launceston, they insisted that it had to go in the hold. I shoved as much glass in my pockets as I could, gave up the least critical bits of kit, and carried my laptop as a "handbag".

I took the same pack onto a Dash 8 and it wouldn't fit anywhere inside the aircraft cabin- I ended up putting it behind my claves, and laying my jacket over my lap so the pack wasn't seen.

Just got a D800e last week have shot 2 jobs on it, got another wedding tomorrow. No moiré anywhere to be seen. Will continue to shoot paid work on my D700s, as there is a considerable difference in storage when thinking of a years' worth of RAW files. I really bought the D800e to use for fun- and yes, am glad for the suite of pro glass I own.

The moiré never was a concern- I shot for years on a cherry picked Kodak Pro14n, one of the best cameras I've owned. I wore out 2 shutters! The Kodak gave me moiré about two shots per wedding on a bad run- most of the time there was never any at all.

I have the 14-24mm Nikon lens, and just bought the 16-35mm f4 as a lighter alternative, for hiking, PLUS the fact that I can screw a filter onto the latter, for protection. I have done some harsh testing of the two lenses against each other... am really impressed with the performance of the "lesser status" 16-35mm.

If I can just hide a lens or two into wifey's pack pre-departure... then the d800e would go on every trip. It does become a question of weight, and end use of the images. If the files only ever live on a hard drive, and get looked at on an iPad, then all that resolution is not fully utilised.

But I do enjoy the simplicity of the P7700 compact, awesome files for what it is. For shooting in the magical hours of the day, the P7700 files when exposed correctly, yield excellent dynamic range.

There's a lot to be said for the impact of the image, as a photograph or work of art, long before pixel count comes into it. It's hilarious, when I run classes, all they seem to want to talk about is resolution.

Safe Steps

WildLight
wildlight
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wayno » Sat 01 Dec, 2012 5:36 pm

air nz have started enforcing their 7kg limit on walk on bags, they've had it for a long time but, now if they suspect you're overweight they will check the weight and if it's overweight they'll force you to put it on as luggage. i think alarm bells would ring when they throw your bag of camera gear through the scanner....
\maybe you need some really really big pockets on the clothes you're wearing on the flight..
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby cooee » Mon 28 Jan, 2013 8:45 pm

My wife has been looking for a good point and shoot to take camping for awhile now, we settled on a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20/TZ30. Great camera
When it comes to charity, a lot of people will stop at nothing.
cooee
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Stibb » Thu 04 Apr, 2013 5:55 pm

Ultra portable large format camera fo $100 anyone?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wan ... -45-camera
Stibb

Previous

Return to Photography