Panasonic Waterproof Compact Cameras

Cameras, tripods, techniques, etc.
Forum rules
Please note that the extended image rules for the Gallery forum also apply here.

Postby Nuts » Wed 16 Feb, 2011 10:28 am

I am looking for a new pocket camera and noticed Panasonic are about to release the FT3 version of their Lumix next month (With GPS, altimeter/barometer, HD movie..)
I'm wondering if anyone has used this WP Lumix range? I understand with a tiny sensor no compact is going to be magic but i'm thinking someone might nave used these, comment or have commented/ have sample images on the site somewhere? They have lowered the pixel count, I guess hoping for the best balance with the lens?

My trusty old Oly w/proof compact is tough but it takes pretty average photos. I have some better gear but the compact gets carried everywhere.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1101/11012 ... nicts3.asp
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Panasonic Waterproof Compact Cameras

Postby ollster » Wed 16 Feb, 2011 11:01 am

Funny thing, each time I've looked to buy a compact, I've always ended up with Panasonics at or near the top of the list. Seems they make great compacts. There are a few fellows with the older model of this camera on the forum (Stu comes to mind). Seemed to be a very nice little model.
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby photohiker » Wed 16 Feb, 2011 11:06 am

Searching the photo sites is one way:

FT1 (my son has one of these, seems to take a good pic and easy to use - he bought it for its case colour though) :)
http://www.flickr.com/cameras/panasonic/pdmc-ts1/

FT2:
http://www.flickr.com/cameras/panasonic/dmc-ts2/

(Panasonic have different names for these cameras in different markets, but the cameras are the same.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Wed 16 Feb, 2011 11:19 am

I always start looking at compacts and end up looking at new lenses lol days later I remember why i started looking for a compact again.
Thanks for that p/h, those photofiles are a good place to start, thanks. Maybe I can get a little more enthused, at first glance of the FT2 pages, I like the detail in these:

Picture 1.png
Picture 1.png (602.07 KiB) Viewed 12753 times

Picture 2.png
Picture 2.png (321.12 KiB) Viewed 12741 times

There does seem an obvious improvement on my (5yo) Olympus, the colours were pretty dull and even with post process images wouldnt have enough detail to handle much tweekin.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sthughes » Wed 16 Feb, 2011 1:55 pm

Yeah I use an FT-1. Great compact camera in my opinion. Of course with the tiny sensor it gets pretty noisy once you go past about ISO 200, so that combined with the maximum aperture means it's not much chop in low light. But in bright conditions it is great for point and shoot photography. Pretty much no manual control at all is also an issue to me, but that's a given. Have to be careful to clean fingerprints of the lense to, as it has no cover. Video is great.
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Wed 16 Feb, 2011 6:30 pm

Thanks sth, Iv'e been noticing the others that have mentioned this one around the forum. It does seem popular. I see you comment on the olympus the other day, yearning for a few more functions?
I saw a video (linked to the dp review) and comments made about puple streaking. Seemed ok to me... not pointing it at the sun wouldnt be much compromise to get half hour of hd video from such a tiny box...

I mentioned in another topic I was considering the Nikon p7000 (which would take my speedlight and give a lot more options)... hmmm... it may be another step towards something that sits at home more often than not... Much of my stuff gets damp or bashed around I never end up taking many images with the slr unless i go just to do so.. Not plan on walking far...

Anyone else have a waterprooof (or weatherproof...do they make them anymore) alternative to the panasonic?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sthughes » Wed 16 Feb, 2011 7:24 pm

Well actually the FT1 isn't mine. I've always had a compact with a fair amount of manual control, but borrowed the FT1 off mum if I was expecting bad weather. However a month or two back I dropped my FX520 once too many times & now I'm using mums FT1 permanently! So really I need a new camera to replace my FX520, so i'll still use the FT1 if the forecast is lousy.

Yeah being a CCD sensor it does do the whole pink flare thing if you point it at the sun. But it has never really bothered me.

One of thepeople I walk with has a Canon water proof that takes comparable pictures, but has not got as wide an angle lens, not as good video and eats batteries on comparison.
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Greenie » Sun 03 Apr, 2011 5:03 pm

So there is also the Olympus TG-810 http://www.dpreview.com/news/1103/11030210olytg810.asp. Would be interested in your opinions of this verses the Panasonic

I am not sure if this available yet, but will be out very soon. Just that it is a good time to buy with the dollar at the moment
Greenie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby stoogest » Tue 10 May, 2011 10:52 pm

I've got the FT1. Bought it as a backup to my D40 for cities/places overseas where I don't feel safe carrying an SLR in plain view, and for use underwater while snorkelling. All the reviews I read seemed to concur that the Canon underwater camera had slightly better image quality above water, however the form factor, video and all round good quality images from the Panasonic meant that it was the better all round choice.

Here's a shot at night:
http://strikis.smugmug.com/Travel/Brazi ... 2223_B5q6b

Here's one underwater:
http://strikis.smugmug.com/Travel/Brazi ... 6539_jVxtq

And here's one in daylight:
http://strikis.smugmug.com/Travel/Brazi ... 0717_ubDLN

I don't regret buying it at all!!

Cheers!
Andrew.
Photographer and bushwalker
For hiking trails we've completed around the world: Fork and Foot
stoogest
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 10 May, 2011 10:53 pm

Lovely shots, Andrew, but (and you know I hate being pedantic) that's an Eagle Ray, not a Manta.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby stoogest » Tue 10 May, 2011 10:59 pm

Haha!! You're the first to have picked that up in the last 12 months! I'm obviously showing my ignorance, but they all look the same to me!! Just stay away from the pointy end... :)

There were actually two together swimming slowly underneath us. Absolutely magic...
Photographer and bushwalker
For hiking trails we've completed around the world: Fork and Foot
stoogest
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Wed 11 May, 2011 6:50 pm

Trust me, if you'd seen a Manta near the Eagle Rays you'd have realised the difference. And Mantas don't have stingers, anyway.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby BarryJ » Wed 11 May, 2011 7:06 pm

Have just bought (48 hours ago) myself a new Lumix FT3. Panasonic must have them back in production following the earthquake/tsunami. They were as scarce as rocking horse poo for a while because the factory was apparently devastated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BarryJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Photography