New cameras - CES 2011

Cameras, tripods, techniques, etc.
Forum rules
Please note that the extended image rules for the Gallery forum also apply here.

New cameras - CES 2011

Postby flatfoot » Fri 07 Jan, 2011 8:13 pm

There's been a plethora of new cameras announced at (or ahead of) CES 2011.

My existing compact is now about 3-4 years old so I am interested in upgrading. I've been looking for a good compact GPS-enabled camera. I like the look of the FujiFilm F550EXR.

Specs from the FujiFilm website: http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/f/finepix_f550exr/

or alternatively http://www.dpreview.com/news/1101/11010512fujifilmf550f500exr.asp

I've never really had the patience to learn how to use an SLR so a compact like this is my preference. I also think that dropping a $300-$400 camera on a bushwalk would be much less painful than dropping an expensive DSLR - I can be a bit clumsy :roll:

What cameras from this year's announcements do you like? Why?
Flat-footed Mainlander
flatfoot
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Re: New cameras - CES 2011

Postby Franco » Sat 08 Jan, 2011 9:59 am

Interesting camera.
Apart from the lens it has a lot of similarities with the Pana TS2.
Most of the lay out (flash,lens,AF sensor, buttons at the back) are in the same place, the sensor is at least "similar" (size,image stabilisation , MP)
same TFT screen , same movie mode... so maybe they are not that far apart.
Franco
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby dancier » Sun 16 Jan, 2011 9:06 am

I got the Canon S95 for cycling in New Zealand, it's got more options than I could ever want but if I do master it's true ability then I'll get a DSLR or Four Thirds camera. I tend to take heaps of shots and delete afterwards, which I'm doing now in Adobe Bridge so the GPS would not be of much benefit because I'd have to wait for it to communicate with the satellite which can be slow at times.
dancier
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby flatfoot » Sun 16 Jan, 2011 9:21 am

dancier wrote:I got the Canon S95 for cycling in New Zealand, it's got more options than I could ever want but if I do master it's true ability then I'll get a DSLR or Four Thirds camera. I tend to take heaps of shots and delete afterwards, which I'm doing now in Adobe Bridge so the GPS would not be of much benefit because I'd have to wait for it to communicate with the satellite which can be slow at times.

Agreed. It could take time in some situations for the GPS to get a fix. I see this feature as a novelty but a useful add-on to the photos in situations where a fix is possible. Once I do get a chance to use a feature like this regularly it will be a useful way to find photos by location from my library.

I need to be more brutal and less lazy with my library. I have a habit of not deleting photos.
Flat-footed Mainlander
flatfoot

Postby tasadam » Sun 16 Jan, 2011 10:18 am

OMG... What to do with 26 Gigapixels!! http://www.paris-26-gigapixels.com/index-en.html
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac
Region: Tasmania

A recommendation- from a working pro photographer

Postby wildlight » Wed 09 Feb, 2011 7:17 pm

FlatFoot,
A few months ago I bought a Nikon P7000 to enable me to leave my big rig Nikons and arsenal of lenses at home, whilst out walking. I have been looking for something to whinge about re the P7000, but to date cannot fault it. I recently blew some images from the camera up to 32 inches by 26 inches, and they were about on par with what a Nikon D200 (SLR) from a few years back would have given. The camera shoots RAW (awesome), and you can either set it and forget it, or get right into the techno tweaking, being able to go as deep as you want. So many customisable features in one tiny package. It will give a bushwalking photo fanatic everything they could want and more, and all for under 400gms weight. I use a Manfrotto monopod as a trekking pole, and I must say, am much happier having saved all that weight (Nikon D700 with a swag of lenses, and tripod).

If you ever get into it, the Nikon will allow you to run off camera flash- stunning for those campfire (where permitted) portraits, and bathing petals and people with theatrical lighting. It will shoot macro- and even has manual focus, the LCD simulating the look of a ground glass screen from aeons ago- when film was all we rolled! Best of all the little beast is ACCESSIBLE- no more unpacking, bolting it all together, lens to body, hood to lens, etc. It can comfortably swing from your neck in its own little LowePro case, ready for instant deployment.

The acid test was the big print run, and even the guys at the lab were astounded- I brought in the camera with the images still on the card, they were in such disbelief at the quality from such a small rig.

And if you see yourself as the next Alby Mangels, it will pump out some pretty impressive video for you, complete with customisable white balance and beautiful rich colouring and tones.

It will amaze and certainly not disappoint. It will challenge the way you think, but will reward you handsomely for doing so.

Cheers

WildLight.

** this post was edited by me when I realised a censorship MOVE had been made. "looking for something to whinge about" was not exactly the way I originally wrote it, but will have to suffice!
wildlight
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby flatfoot » Sun 13 Feb, 2011 3:50 pm

Thanks for the review. How well does this camera perform on battery consumption? It's a pity it doesn't have a GPS. I'm a sucker for gimicky/gadgety features :roll:

Maybe I should get two cameras ... something like the one you suggested and a ruggedised/waterproof GPS equipped one. I found on the OT in December last year that I was forever trying to keep my compact camera dry. I don't really want to carry two cameras though.
Flat-footed Mainlander
flatfoot

Postby sthughes » Mon 14 Feb, 2011 9:34 am

New Olympus XZ-1 looks the go to me. Just lacking waterproofness and a GPS chip.
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby gayet » Mon 14 Feb, 2011 6:52 pm

thanks for the review flatfoot. I have been considering, either a newer DLSR or a compact - your comments re the Nikon p7000 swayed me. I have just purchased one. It will be easier than trying to unpack the other when struggling along under a full pack, so I won't have an excuse for missing the "shot of the day".
gayet

Re: A recommendation- from a working pro photographer

Postby Nuts » Mon 14 Feb, 2011 7:19 pm

wildlight wrote: re the P7000, but to date cannot fault it.

Ken Can: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/coolpix/p7000.htm

I'm almost swayed. I thought the wide angle attachment might be a good idea but It appears additionally bulky and almost as expensive again.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Photography