canon g12

Cameras, tripods, techniques, etc.
Forum rules
Please note that the extended image rules for the Gallery forum also apply here.

canon g12

Postby taswegian » Wed 22 Dec, 2010 8:09 am

are there any users of this camera?
I would appreciate comments on its use and in particular on its closeup ability please.
I've looked at it in-store several times and am impressed at what I see in black plastic/ metal & menu etc. Reality is in what it does.

I've tossed up DSLR but they are bulky and in some instances (for me) not as convenient.
Thanks
taswegian
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Re: canon g12

Postby Drifting » Wed 22 Dec, 2010 9:11 am

I'd have a look at http://www.pbase.com The G12 has not yet been listed, but you can see pictures from the G11 for reference.

My personal opinion is that anything less than a APS-C-sized sensor is not going to give you excellent results, but this flies in the face of the opinions of the billion or so people who use point-and-shoots.

Are you interested in close-up, as in flowers and such, or macro, as in reproducing things at the same size as your sensor?

Opps- Edit- the G12 has just been listed on Pbase- look under Cameras
All good things are wild, and free.
Drifting

Postby taswegian » Wed 22 Dec, 2010 9:30 am

I'm interested in closeups of flowers/ foliage etc but also landsacpes - your typical bushwalking shot. If there is such a thing!
I have a Canon IS3 and whilst satisfied (within its restrictions) I would appreciate something better.

I am an SLR fan from way back but never went with that in digital.
I have heaps old lenses and loved my closeup photography - fungi, little orchid etc,

I'm also fussy lenswise (peering through them all day does that :D ) so probably over emphasise that bit? Not suggesting one minute the current beasty is anything hot there.
I also very rarely let the Canon dictate the shot and manually fiddle the settings.
The G12 looks better in that area than my current one.

I'm not discounting DSLR but they get bulky and swapping lenses etc .. Probably spoilt (as in got lazy) by the point an shoot.
taswegian

Postby Liamy77 » Wed 22 Dec, 2010 9:46 am

i had the olympus 8080 for the same reasoning it was GREAT as far as compacts go but.... needs upgrading now - so will be interested in how this thread goes!
Taggunnah
GRAVITY... IS A HARSH MISTRESS!
knowledge's lighter than gadgets..but gadgets can be fun!
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Location: Southern Channel, Tas.... but sometimes i leave n walk around elsewhere!
ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Woodbridge Organics

Postby Drifting » Wed 22 Dec, 2010 9:23 pm

Don't get me wrong- point-and-shoots are pretty handy little things.

If I was going to get one, I'd go for a G12. BUT- there's another Canon too, the S80 (????) I think, that is smaller and has many of the same capacities.

The thing is, to get real macro with a DSLR you need a macro lens, which is expensive and often bulky.
Drifting

Postby Nuts » Wed 22 Dec, 2010 9:29 pm

Have you tried the Cannon close up lens? They also fit nikon thread..... :D
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Drifting » Wed 22 Dec, 2010 9:56 pm

Nuts wrote:Have you tried the Cannon close up lens? They also fit nikon thread..... :D

This is a good point- I forget about this. The close-up lens is a little do-hickey lens that crews to the front of a normal lens and makes it a almost-macro. Probably good enough for what you describe.

You can get a Canon 1000D with an image stabilized kits lens for LESS than a G12.

g12- 352g

1000D- 452 (not inc lens)

The extra 100g is definitely worth the difference in photographic experience. The 1000D is a basic unit, but it can take *&%$#! good pictures.
Drifting

Return to Photography