Sony NEX 5

Cameras, tripods, techniques, etc.
Forum rules
Please note that the extended image rules for the Gallery forum also apply here.

Sony NEX 5

Postby Nick S » Wed 01 Dec, 2010 11:39 am

Anyone here own a Sony NEX-5?

I'm planning to upgrade my camera early next year and am interested in going more lightweight and getting a NEX-5 as opposed to a Canon 550D which is also a consideration. Pretty sure the 550 is a better camera but it would be nice to have the reduced size on walks.. I guess that's the question I need to answer, 'is it worth taking the heavier camera?'

From reading reviews, there seems to be an issue with the interface being laborious.
Namely this review from Luminous Landscape: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/revie ... nex5.shtml
But then some outdoor users love it..
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... e=36200982

Having used a DSLR for years now, I'm not sure I could handle a drop to the reduced responsiveness of point and shoot style cameras, but is this the case?
I'm also not sure how appropriate the zoom and prime lens that come with it would be for landscape photos, which is the majority of my photos.

There's also the Pana GH2 and Sigma compacts..
Would be interested in peoples thoughts.

Nick S
Nick S
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Re: Sony NEX 5

Postby Nick S » Wed 01 Dec, 2010 6:25 pm

Ahh I've just read a few other posts in this forum and it seems like there are many in a similar situation. I reckon ill just do my own research on this topic from what's already been discussed.
Feel free to comment if you have owned a nex5 though :)

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
Nick S

Postby taswegian » Thu 02 Dec, 2010 6:07 pm

Nick have you anything to add yet?
I looked at a 550 today, but the jury is still out.
I'm not overly fond of the size of these devices, but realise there's not much option in DSLR.
regards
Richard
taswegian

Postby Drifting » Thu 02 Dec, 2010 9:54 pm

For me it's a matter of lenses. I personally prefer Canon, because I use their "L" grade lenses, which a lot of manufacturers can't match. The same argument can be made for Nikon too. I'm not sure if the mirrorless camera makers can compete with Nikon and Canon in this regard- I haven't looked into it much, but my superficial research seems to confirm this.

Having said that, if you're not after professional grade lenses, then go for the most portable! It'll be better than a point-and-shoot, anyhow.
All good things are wild, and free.
Drifting

Return to Photography