Photographers, what camera ?

Cameras, tripods, techniques, etc.
Forum rules
Please note that the extended image rules for the Gallery forum also apply here.

Photographers, what camera ?

Postby Trevor_S » Sun 19 Sep, 2010 12:38 pm

Currently I haul my Nikon D300 and usually a Nikon 16-85 VRII lens around when doing day walks. However, it's big. When doing multi day walks I resort to using my Ricoh CX-1 P&S.

Both cameras annoy me for their shortcomings, albeit for different reasons, crappy quality from the Ricoh and the weight space of the D300

I am looking to find something with significantly less weight and size then my D300 gear.

I had thought of getting a smaller older (or newer) dSLR camera eg a Nikon D40X and using my lens (smaller and lighter but lets not get two carried away, still BULKY ! and I am restricted to lens with a built in focus motor) so I have counted this out, it;s still way too bulky. I wils stick with the D300 on day trips

A new p&S style compact, with manual controls, such as the upcoming Nikon P7000 (use my speedlights with it and I assume some of UI from dSLRs will flow through, particularly with nomenclature so getting up to speed should be quicker !) or the Panasonic LX5, both have some appeal. I am still not enamoured of the low light performance and the compromises of the small sensor size. The LX5 has some advantages, the P7000 some advantages. I use A and S mode nearly exclusively on my D300, though I don't see as much need for controlling my aperture on the smaller cameras as there is no DOF available ie no bokeh etc

or some sort of EVIL (Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens) camera, such as the upcoming Samsung NX100 with the 20-50 lens. It is bigger then say the LX5 but the sensor is bigger, there is no image stabilastion, which is a bit of a bummer as I didn't want to have to take a tripod on multi day walks and would have benefited from a decent stabilastion system.

So, at the moment it has come down to the Nikon P7000; UI familiarity, ability to use my speedlights, good reach, crappy wide angle. the Panasonic LX5; small size, nice wideangle, poor reach. Samsung NX100 bigger but not much bigger then Nikon P7000, much bigger sensor should perform well at higher ISO's, no stabilisation.

I am interested in the thoughts of those who are into photography with their walking, in particular and if there is anything I have perhaps not considered ?
Trevor_S

Re: Photographers, what camera ?

Postby tasadam » Sun 19 Sep, 2010 12:51 pm

Well... I'm probably not the best person to ask, because I stick to the DSLR's and pro (heavy) lenses. It depends what you want from your potography. You shoot with a DSLR as well as a P&S, so you have probably seen the shorttcomings of P&S when it comes to image quality over the DSLR's - particularly when you put a good lens on the D300.
I have had a close look at people's work similar to mine and am less than impressed with the amount of CA in particular that I see in much of the work that's out there.
So my answer is along the lines of what you want out of your photography - are you prepared to sacrifice image quality and camera control for weight and space?
Perhaps someone can find a P&S that suits your needs. Or as you say maybe this new 7000 has something to offer you.
For me and my wife it's a D700, D200, 17-35 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 105 macro, 50mm f1.4, 12-24DX f4, 2 Gitzo tripods with Acratech heads, 8 batteries,... You get the idea.

Best site for equipment reviews seems to be http://www.dpreview.com

A disclaimer, when I say P&S I am merely referring to compact cameras etc, other than DSLR.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac
Region: Tasmania

Postby kalium » Sun 19 Sep, 2010 6:24 pm

Well it seems from your post that you are certainly willing to sacrifice a bit of image quality for gains in weight and compactness.
It sounds like perhaps a micro 4/3 camera (i.e an olympus E-PL1 or similar) might be perfect. There is a thread floating around here with references to one of these.
I've got an smll oly dslr that I just use with the kit lenses (they are very small and reasonsable quality) and I can carry it around on my neck all day no worries. It does not take the best photos in the world, but in my non pro opinion they are still quite fine. Obviously though you aren't interested in having the very best IQ, otherwise you'd be using your D300 and wouldn't be here asking us :)
kalium
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby tasadam » Sun 19 Sep, 2010 7:23 pm

kalium wrote:Obviously though you aren't interested in having the very best IQ, otherwise you'd be using your D300 and wouldn't be here asking us :)

That's a very good point.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Trevor_S » Sun 19 Sep, 2010 10:32 pm

tasadam wrote:Best site for equipment reviews seems to be http://www.dpreview.com

I have been a member of the forums there for more years then I care to remember but thanks anyway. In respect to your gear, do you lug it on multi day hikes ? If so, kudos to you ! I can't begin to imagine carting the D300 with anything bigger then my "go anywhere compact lens" the Nikon 16-85 VR on a day walk, let alone something really decent like a 24-70 f2.8... Hell, your lugging the D700, so what am I whining about :) What are you carrying it in ?

The D7000 offers less weight for sure but it's still BIG in the overall scheme of things, taking up a lot of precious backpack space.

It's not so much I am happy with the resultant iq loss, it's a matter of accepting it as a compromise. I was seeing if there was something I had missed in my summary before I made a decision and canvassing the opinions of others. As I said, for day walks, I am prepared to carry the D300, for mutli day hikes, it's not really an option. I am thinking of leaning towards the Samsung NX100 with it's APS-C sensor and a gorilla tripod as a "solution" but then yesterday I was convinced the LX 5 was the best "compromise" and the day before, the Nikon P7000 was... analysis paralysis :) but the first two aren't even available to buy yet :)

Every time I have compromised by carrying a small p&s I have regretted it, I am no artist ... by that I mean a true artist can use any camera to produce stunning stuff, hell I have seen images from phone cameras that are way better then anything I have ever taken.
Trevor_S

Postby photohiker » Sun 19 Sep, 2010 10:53 pm

Trevor,

Yes, the D300 is better than any small camera. But as you have pointed out there is often a pain threshold for carrying all the gear that some cannot pass!

If day walking or base-camping, I will take my fullframe and a couple of lenses. All good. But if I am on an extended walk, I just cannot lug all that gear around any more, so I choose something smaller. Thankfully, the smaller cameras are getting significantly better, and they are getting bigger and better sensors, interchangeable lenses etc, and finding a ready market. I use a Micro 4/3rds camera now, and have been pretty happy with the results. Its lighter, smaller in every way than the fullframe. I also find that nobody takes any notice of it, whereas a full-on DSLR often attracts unwanted attention from 'Security' in town. (not a problem in the bush, I know)

Recommended. Check out the Olympus and Panasonic Micro 4/3rds cameras, as well as the new Sony NEX system.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Drifting » Sun 19 Sep, 2010 11:00 pm

I'd keep the D300 and go for a high quality prime, and adjust your photography habits.

Canon makes a super-good quality (for the money) 50/1.8mm lens- it weighs like 60g. I also have a far lower quality but still infinitely superior to a P&S 28/2.8 lns- it weighs around 100g. I'm pretty certain that Nikon has similar plastic fantastic lenses. That'd be my route.
All good things are wild, and free.
Drifting
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby photohiker » Sun 19 Sep, 2010 11:24 pm

Yes, that's a good option too. I have taken my DSLR and an Oly 21mm into the bush on a couple of trips with good results. I'd find a 50mm quite limiting though...

Note that a D300 weights 825g without lens. A Micro 4/3rds camera and prime lens might weigh under half that. Mine's 385g. With an UW zoom (7-14mm equivalent to 14-28 on full frame) it's 683g)
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Trevor_S » Sun 19 Sep, 2010 11:49 pm

photohiker wrote: Recommended. Check out the Olympus and Panasonic Micro 4/3rds cameras, as well as the new Sony NEX system.

Yeah I had thought of the m4/3, I had investigated them when the first came out. At the moment I am fixated on the Sammy NX100, much bigger sensor then the m4/3 (APS-C, same size sensor as my D300) smaller size camera then the m4/3 (with all the inherent compromises that entails)

I don't do that many multi day walks yet, but will be changing that soon, so now was the time to move. I have some time to decide, review the images and see what happens

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/samsungnx100/

Thanks to everyone for the input.
Trevor_S

Postby samh » Mon 20 Sep, 2010 4:58 pm

Hi Trevor,
Here is a similar topic, which is maybe worth a look
http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4690
samh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Drifting » Mon 20 Sep, 2010 7:08 pm

This one! This one! If the image quality is any good I'd be tempted....

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10091 ... lmx100.asp
All good things are wild, and free.
Drifting

Postby Robatman » Mon 20 Sep, 2010 10:37 pm

Drifting wrote:This one! This one! If the image quality is any good I'd be tempted....

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10091 ... lmx100.asp

It looks good and for all of us who have lusted after a Leica it has some appeal (visually), but i wonder if the fixed lens would be a limitation vs a 4/3rds? Size will be roughly the same and there is more versatility, it all depends on how the lens performs wrt image quality. Sigma also have the DP1 for larger sensor fixed compacts.
Robert
Robatman
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Return to Photography