Caring for camera in wet trips

Cameras, tripods, techniques, etc.
Forum rules
Please note that the extended image rules for the Gallery forum also apply here.

Postby Gymnoschoenus » Sun 05 Sep, 2010 8:16 pm

HI all,
Planning tassie paddling trip in Oct - just wondering how you people look after your SLRs in constant wet weather camping ??
Just don't want to get moisture build up in lenses.

ta
Gymnoschoenus
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Re: Caring for camera in wet trips

Postby Area54 » Sun 05 Sep, 2010 8:37 pm

I horde the little silica gel/crystal pouches, stick them in with sensitive kit. They absorb moisture in small amounts, then when ready for dryout I toast them in a dry pot, stick em in a snaplock ready for next use, easy to treat in the field.

A bit off topic, but related: Weve got this old bikky tin with a glass nob at the top, it is filled with these silica crystals, they change colour when ready for roasting (moisture saturation), then change back once they are dry again. Best bikky tin ever, around 30 years old I estimate!
Gold is just a windy Kansas wheatfield, blue is just a Kansas summer sky...
Area54
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Liamy77 » Sun 05 Sep, 2010 11:58 pm

you can buy larger silica packs too - stallards and the like should have em or get them in... not much fun shooting with a fungus farm!
you can look through the lens from the mount end and see white spots or thin spider-web like marks / growth (fungus)if you get too much moisture - useful if you shop 2nd hand... also watch out for quick temp changes(drops particularly) - can cause condensation... say if your camera is next to your body n warmer then you go to shoot and it cools down...
Taggunnah
GRAVITY... IS A HARSH MISTRESS!
knowledge's lighter than gadgets..but gadgets can be fun!
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Location: Southern Channel, Tas.... but sometimes i leave n walk around elsewhere!
ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Woodbridge Organics
Region: Tasmania

Postby ninjapuppet » Mon 06 Sep, 2010 11:52 pm

i think this is what you might be looking for
its about $150
http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au/underwaterhousing.htm
ninjapuppet
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New Zealand

Postby Liamy77 » Tue 07 Sep, 2010 12:00 am

ninjapuppet wrote:i think this is what you might be looking for
its about $150
http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au/underwaterhousing.htm

you'll still have to watch out for temperature condensation... maybe a silica pack or 2 inside it as well...
Taggunnah
GRAVITY... IS A HARSH MISTRESS!
knowledge's lighter than gadgets..but gadgets can be fun!
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Location: Southern Channel, Tas.... but sometimes i leave n walk around elsewhere!
ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Woodbridge Organics
Region: Tasmania

Postby cvn76hk » Fri 03 Dec, 2010 12:27 pm

For my last kayaking trip I used a clip and lock box (a large one) to put my camera in. $10-15 when I bought it I think, it proved to be waterproof as I tested it in the sink the night before and with my D300 and two lens in it it still floated so it gave me some assurance when I was kayaking :)
I also chuck in some moisture absorbing stuff in it but forgot what they are.
Hope this helps
cvn76hk
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Bush Walker » Fri 03 Dec, 2010 7:04 pm

Area54 wrote:A bit off topic, but related: Weve got this old bikky tin with a glass nob at the top, it is filled with these silica crystals, they change colour when ready for roasting (moisture saturation), then change back once they are dry again. Best bikky tin ever, around 30 years old I estimate!

Reckon I saw one of those about 50 years ago in my Aunts kitchen. Like you I remember it well, as the silica seemed to work like magic. I suspect that the amount of silica present would not have lasted much more than a packet of biscuits, Arnotts Cremes of course. Not sure what my Aunt did to "recharge" it
My blog www.bushwalkingskills.com Sharing Bushwalking Skills and Knowledge
Bush Walker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby tsangpo » Tue 10 May, 2011 11:54 pm

Just got one of the small pelican cases (1050) to use with my non water resistant lenses while rafting and I'm thinking about using it while bushwalking, isn't a massive amount of extra weight above that of the lenses and it definately keeps them safe in case of inclement weather. It involved a bit of metal work with the dessicant pack in the middle and pocket knife work with the rear lens caps of the lenses on the left hand side to fit them in.

Here it is with it's cargo:

tsangpo
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Postby andrewbish » Wed 11 May, 2011 6:51 am

All good ideas. My camera got wet during rain while under my tarp a few weeks ago -,it's wrecked :(
Twitter: @andrewbishxplor Blog: Trails & tracks
andrewbish
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby wildlight » Sat 05 May, 2012 4:33 pm

I use 2 of those dry bags- the brand escapes me- something like "Seal-Line". They have a lighter version, as well as a heavier one. I put the item in the lighter one, then all that goes into the heavier one. My macbook air was left out in overnight rain by the good Mrs, up near Mt Darling (Eagles Peaks area), in Feb 2012, and I still use the computer today. Absolutely no problems "when the bag is not submerged".

The ideal set-up for a camera I'd say, when you don't require super-fast access.

Safe steps

WildLight
wildlight
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby gayet » Sat 05 May, 2012 6:38 pm

Yeh, I keep cameras and lenses in dry bags inside carry cases. Bags of silica gel in each dry bag and a microfibre towel handy for wiping down before rebagging. It does take some time to unpack it all when walking so I have a compact but it is still in a dry bag in a carry case. Cases are soft and flexible and water resistant rather than proof.
gayet

Return to Photography