Farewell Olympus, Hello Canon

Cameras, tripods, techniques, etc.
Forum rules
Please note that the extended image rules for the Gallery forum also apply here.

Farewell Olympus, Hello Canon

Postby whynotwalk » Fri 20 Aug, 2010 4:37 pm

G'day all - Adam, Mark and a few others know I've been tempted into rejoining the DSLR "arms race" ... see http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4479&p=52347&hilit=arms+race#p52347 I've decided to pass on my trusty Olympus E-510 to my son, and have bought a new Canon EOS 550D. I must admit I was previously wary of Canon - chiefly because they tend to sell "ordinary" kit lenses with pretty good bodies. But I borrowed a 550D fitted with an EF-S 15-85mm lens. Sweet! :D

Here are a couple of photos, one with the Canon and one with the Olympus. File sizes are reduced, but the shots are roughly comparable. I tell myself it was worth parting with all those $$$ not so much because the photos are that much better, but more because the Canon seems to be more consistent. Occasionally the Olympus gets it better, but more often the Canon hits the spot. Also the Olympus's 4/3rds sensor seems to be a dead-end, and the larger sensor size (and higher megapixel count) seem to allow for better cropping and blow-ups with the Canon.

Excuse the amateur take on all this. I think I'm just starting on a steep learning curve, with my Canon in hand! :)

cheers

Peter

PS - Yes, Nikonians, I did consider a few Nikon models. But just at the moment, they don't seem to have exactly what I'm after. :(

Kooka1 Canon.jpg
Kookaburra close-up with the Canon and a 15-85mm lens
Kooka2 Olympus.jpg
Kookaburra close-up with the Olympus and a 14-42mm lens
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Farewell Olympus, Hello Canon

Postby north-north-west » Fri 20 Aug, 2010 6:34 pm

Excellent choice. Congratulations.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Drifting » Fri 20 Aug, 2010 7:35 pm

This is the Canon user's forum. Anything you want to know, they can tell you. Just be warned, they are major gear heads and nothing is ever good enough unless it costs more than you have. But other than that, they are super useful!

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/
All good things are wild, and free.
Drifting
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Liamy77 » Sat 21 Aug, 2010 2:01 am

they deliberately do that with lens kits - they idea is they sell you up to better lenses after gettin your attention with a good price..... Nikon do it too btw
Taggunnah
GRAVITY... IS A HARSH MISTRESS!
knowledge's lighter than gadgets..but gadgets can be fun!
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Location: Southern Channel, Tas.... but sometimes i leave n walk around elsewhere!
ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Woodbridge Organics

Postby photohiker » Sat 21 Aug, 2010 9:12 am

whynotwalk wrote:Also the Olympus's 4/3rds sensor seems to be a dead-end, and the larger sensor size (and higher megapixel count) seem to allow for better cropping and blow-ups with the Canon.

Congratulations on the new camera!

I agree that the 4/3rds format seems to be headed for a dead end. It's basically been replaced by Micro 4/3rds which is the same size sensor in a smaller format body. Micro 4/3 kickstarted the mirrorless camera format in the last couple of years and the segment now accounts for 40% of interchangeable lens cameras in Japan. Given the current state of sensor technology, bigger is usually better but smaller is often quite adequate. Funnily enough, for bushwalking it comes down to the bulk and weight of the lenses rather than the bodies.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Drifting » Sat 21 Aug, 2010 4:50 pm

photohiker wrote:
whynotwalk wrote:Also the Olympus's 4/3rds sensor seems to be a dead-end, and the larger sensor size (and higher megapixel count) seem to allow for better cropping and blow-ups with the Canon.

Congratulations on the new camera!

I agree that the 4/3rds format seems to be headed for a dead end. It's basically been replaced by Micro 4/3rds which is the same size sensor in a smaller format body. Micro 4/3 kickstarted the mirrorless camera format in the last couple of years and the segment now accounts for 40% of interchangeable lens cameras in Japan. Given the current state of sensor technology, bigger is usually better but smaller is often quite adequate. Funnily enough, for bushwalking it comes down to the bulk and weight of the lenses rather than the bodies.

If I could do everything with my old Canon 350D and a 50/1.8 plastic fantastic lens, I'd be a happy man.

BTW WhyNotWalk- the Canon 50mm f/1.8 II is one kick-butt little lens that weighs nothing and costs only like $150. HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended!
Drifting

Postby kalium » Sun 22 Aug, 2010 10:10 am

Nice choice. I hear the 550D is a great camera!
Is the 550D much heavier than your e510?

I won't be moving off from my olympus e410 anytime soon thouh. After spending the day walking around Lamington with my sister, me with my e410 and her with a 400D (and a 17-80m sigma lens), I'm glad I didn't have the 400D hanging around my neck! On paper it doesn't seem like much, but I really notice it carrying around on your neck all day!

Cheers
kalium
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby whynotwalk » Sun 22 Aug, 2010 10:25 am

Hi kalium - yep, the 550D is a lot heavier around the neck, especially with the 15-85mm lens, which has lots of expensive glass 8) . But I'd got to the stage where I was ready to make that sacrifice. The E-510 served me well for 3 years, but I was ready to get even more serious. I've still gotta figure out the best way to carry it when walking. This thread has a pic. of my old system for the Olympus here http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4479&p=52898&hilit=Zing#p52347 Unfortunately the new Canon is too big for the Zing case (unless maybe I take drifting's advice, and go for the lighter, smaller 50mm lend while walking.)

And btw drifting, thanks for the tip about the Canon user's forum,

cheers

Peter
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Drifting » Sun 22 Aug, 2010 10:58 am

Lowe makes a holdter you can strap across your chest or fix onto youre best that is pretty ideal for bushwalking Whynot.
Drifting

Postby Nick S » Sun 22 Aug, 2010 2:38 pm

Interesting to see the comparison. Yeah atm i have a 350d which im pretty happy with but wonder if an upgrade to a 550 would change much. I'd be keen on getting a smaller lens though.
Nick S

Postby Drifting » Sun 22 Aug, 2010 6:29 pm

With a 5D (full frame) you can use a 24/2.8, 35/2, 50/1.8 and 100/2.8 macro, and the four of them wont weigh (or cost) much more than 1 "L" zoom like the 24-105.

Another way you could go would be with a Sigma 10-20, a 35/2 and a 50/1.8 . Small lenses and decent ones on the 550D.

But the easiest is to buy a 15-85 and lug it around :-)
Drifting

Postby kalium » Sun 22 Aug, 2010 7:22 pm

Nick S wrote:Interesting to see the comparison. Yeah atm i have a 350d which im pretty happy with but wonder if an upgrade to a 550 would change much. I'd be keen on getting a smaller lens though.

I was looking through flickr just recently and found this cracker, taken with a 350D :)

image link to flickr
kalium
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby Drifting » Mon 23 Aug, 2010 7:28 am

lenses are always better investiments than new bodies. Also, don't replace the 350D with a 550D, go to a 50D!

I still use a 30D as my main body, and it has the same sensor as a 350D.
Drifting

Postby whynotwalk » Mon 23 Aug, 2010 10:38 am

Here's what might be an on-going update on how I plan to carry the EOS 550D (with the bigish 15-85mm lens) while bushwalking.

I loved my old neoprene Zing Case set-up for the Olympus (see my post above for a link to a pic). It is showerproof, and uses the camera's strap plus a waist belt to enable the camera to be constantly available - in most weathers. It overcomes the problem of always having to stop and unpack your DSLR to take a pic. But the old Zing won't fit the new Canon, and as I'm off to NZ in 9 days, I haven't the time to get a suitably sized replacement from the US. What to do? Enter my clever wife! We have an old and very simple neoprene lap-top case (see pics below). With a bit of clever sewing on a high-spec. Pfaff sewing machine, she is thinking we can turn the old case into a new tote bag for the Canon.

The adjustments planned will include pinching both sides in, reinforcing them, and sewing on an adjustable waist belt (elastic with clips). Then she'll replace the zip with a wide velcro closure for the top. As with the Zing I'll use the camera strap around my neck, and the new waist band to stop it bouncing, and to take some of the weight. It may not be pretty, but I have a hunch it will be effective. I've run the case under a cold water tap for a few minutes, and it seems highly water-resistant.

Fingers crossed - I'll keep you posted,

cheers

Peter

PS - my wife is a bushwalker too - and has her eye on the old Zing case for her camera. Win Win :D :D
NeoBag1.JPG
the old neoprene bag: soft and water resistant
NeoBag2.JPG
the zip opening will be replaced with velcro
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tasadam » Mon 23 Aug, 2010 11:48 am

Can you add a flap with velcro over the top of the zip? That way you can still use the zip when needed for extra protection... And leave it open when the Velcro is good enough. Just a thought.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby whynotwalk » Mon 23 Aug, 2010 12:12 pm

Thanks Adam - I shall put that to the brains of the outfit :wink:

cheers

Peter
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 24 Aug, 2010 9:00 pm

Neoprene is waterproof, but you'll need some sealant in the seams or it will leak.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Return to Photography