New camera? Thoughts?

Cameras, tripods, techniques, etc.
Forum rules
Please note that the extended image rules for the Gallery forum also apply here.

New camera? Thoughts?

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Tue 27 Jul, 2010 8:11 pm

Yes yes same old question...... I dont want to spend over $1000

What would anyone suggest to look out for OR what to watch out for?? Also welcome is suggestions on where to buy from?

Thanks.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: New camera? Thoughts?

Postby dancier » Tue 27 Jul, 2010 11:36 pm

Not an expert but I'm looking at the "micro four thirds" range.

Panasonic Lumix GF1, maybe an option.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicGF1/

Olympus Pen E-P1
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/OlympusEP1/
dancier
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby whynotwalk » Wed 28 Jul, 2010 10:30 am

So Mark ... winning the latest photo comp. wasn't good enough for you :lol:

The question "what are you wanting to do with your photos?" is an important start. My guess is that you are wanting to head in the digital SLR direction. They're heavier (usually), more complicated, more time consuming ... and give better results. If that's where you want to go, the website dancier pointed you to is a good start. So too is Camera Labs, eg http://www.cameralabs.com/buyers_guide/ ... DSLR.shtml

Beware of the "arms race" effect :twisted: (just ask Adam!) You start with a budget one, and end up lusting after "bigger and better" - and then your budget gets blown! I think I'm in danger of heading there at the moment, although I'm pretty happy with the versatility and lighter weight offered by my (now ageing) Olympus E-510.

One DSLR-user's tip from me: I "wear" my camera while bushwalking, using a water resistant case called a "Zing Case". That way I don't have to stop & unpack the camera every time I want to take a pic. It's liberated how I take photos while walking. They have to be imported, eg from http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/7 ... Cover.html

Here's a pic. of me wearing mine,

happy hunting

Peter
Zing2.JPG
Wearing a neoprene Zing camera case
Zing2.JPG (84.58 KiB) Viewed 24229 times
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tasadam » Wed 28 Jul, 2010 11:30 am

Now I know what Peter looks like... And straight away I can tell that the camera used to take that was a P&S camera with not so good a lens. I have had a number of conversations with Mark already about this, he will know what I mean.

Arms race...
Enter the digital age by buying a $770 P&S with 10x optical, 4.1 megapixel.
Breaks down 3 times in a year, replaced with later model by manufacturer.
Soon get sick of not being able to do what I used to be able to on my film SLR's
Buy first DSLR, Nikon D70, 6.1Mp. P&S goes to wife.
Technology advances as does my ability to out perform the digital capabilities of the camera, buy D200 10.2Mp. D70 goes to wife. P&S goes to shoebox (still there).
Wife grows tired of D70, buy another D200 - one each. D70 goes to cupboard for a while, now given to mother in law.
Nasty accident means only 1 D200, so take the opportunity to replace with a full frame D700, 12 Mp. So happy with this camera, should have bought one last upgrade.
Now thinking about another D700 for the wife.
Where things sit with Nikon, the next upgrade would be to buy the D3X or something like it, but now we are talking some serious size & weight for a camera body, not to mention the cost, not really practicle for bushwalking when the D700 can do such a stellar job.

So that's my little "arms race" story, talking only the camera bodies. Don't get me started on lenses.....
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Nuts » Wed 28 Jul, 2010 11:42 am

I have a D90x, 11-16 18-200 etc. minimal dslr upgrade from film and still around 3/4kg...
Somehow i think ilswt is looking to keep weight down?
There are some fine compacts around. The Panasonic range has had a good mention here.
Comes back to the question of what you want to do with the images (how big) (he won the comp didnt he...)
Do you Want to go out specifically to take photo's mark? DSLR.. Otherwise, seems to me that your doing ok, the most important part is being in the right place/time and you seem to be able to do that ok :)
(btw the avatar rendering doesnt do your Mt Anne photo justice)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby whynotwalk » Wed 28 Jul, 2010 12:07 pm

:) ... yes Adam - the photo of me and the Zing was taken on a little Panasonic point & shoot. Not the sort of thing that Mark would be after.

But Mark, if you don't want to enter the "Arms race, as Nuts points out, there are some fine compact non-SLRs. For instance my wife has a Panasonic/Lumix FZ35. It's got 18x zoom, a Leica lens, and takes high-def video. It's a very nice package at around $600. For comparison's sake, here are two photos of the same blossom, one taken with the FZ35 and one with my Olympus E-510. Both have been reduced for posting, but to about the same size. Guess which is which!

cheers

Peter
Blossom2.JPG
Fallen Blossom.jpg
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Wed 28 Jul, 2010 12:16 pm

The bottom shot looks better to me Peter??
The Panasonics do seem popular, I had an old one (used to take the New Harbour pic) and I loved it. very simple, great results for what it was. Unfortunately now it doesnt work.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts, Nuts, correct. weight is an issue for me currently, I know what you mean about being in the right place, I dont want something too fancy as it will be wasted on me, just something with a slightly better quality as the camera I currently use is..... well to be honest, it's a piece of *&%$#!! and it's old. Also it isnt mine...... The avatar pic was just a trial as I didnt know how to re-size pictures, Adam helped me through that quite late (for me anyway) last night, I was so happy to be able to re-size pictures finally I just kept that picture up. As I said to him I will be changing my avatar REGULARLY now..... I get bored easy :lol:
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Wed 28 Jul, 2010 12:18 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:Yes yes same old question...... I dont want to spend over $1000

If you want to keep weight and size down, definitely have a look at Micro 4/3rds.

Be aware that $1000 is not enough to bag a Panasonic GF1 currently, they're still upwards of $1300, but the Oly EP-1 is on special with twin lens kit at well less than your budget. (its probably being discontinued, but that happens to every camera, so don't sweat it)

My GF1 with 2 lenses weighs much less, and is much smaller than my full size Canon 5D with one lens.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Wed 28 Jul, 2010 12:36 pm

Arms race, har har i like that!

(I bought a Nikon flash from these guys: http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/sto ... .asp?id=10 , probably not expecting much of the basic warranty but they are cheap+)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby whynotwalk » Wed 28 Jul, 2010 1:53 pm

Good guess Mark - or else another demonstration of how photo savvy you are :wink:

... Yes, the second photo is taken with the digital SLR. It's "warmer" and sharper in most parts of the pic.

cheers

Peter
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ollster » Wed 28 Jul, 2010 2:16 pm

Just don't get a Lumix LX3... :wink:
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby tasadam » Wed 28 Jul, 2010 2:31 pm

whynotwalk wrote:Good guess Mark - or else another demonstration of how photo savvy you are :wink:

... Yes, the second photo is taken with the digital SLR. It's "warmer" and sharper in most parts of the pic.

cheers

Peter

Yes, well done Mark, a fine grip on this you have now, did you see the kink in the leaf to the right of the flower? See the blue fringe? I don't think Mark guessed... I showed him what to look for.
The question for me would be is there a P&S with optics that can achieve the result seen in the 2nd image?
Otherwise I think a DSLR is not out of the question.

Nice DOF by the way Peter.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby Drifting » Wed 28 Jul, 2010 5:06 pm

I'd go for anything btoom-end DSLR with an image-stabilized kit lenses. At the base range, they are all much of a muchness.

http://www.dpreview.com
All good things are wild, and free.
Drifting
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby jcr_au » Fri 30 Jul, 2010 9:22 pm

Taking weight, performance and price into consideration, perhaps also have a look at one of these

http://digital-photography-school.com/sony-nex-3-review
John R
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work.
I want to achieve immortality through not dying."
jcr_au
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Liamy77 » Sat 31 Jul, 2010 12:55 am

only a lens (optically) stabilised system will still give you the full quality available to the shot... so when digital first came around i sold up my nikkor lenses ans switched to canon... never looked back
put the money into the lenses ... upgrade the body later
Taggunnah
GRAVITY... IS A HARSH MISTRESS!
knowledge's lighter than gadgets..but gadgets can be fun!
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Location: Southern Channel, Tas.... but sometimes i leave n walk around elsewhere!
ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Woodbridge Organics

Postby Nuts » Sat 31 Jul, 2010 10:39 am

jcr_au wrote:Taking weight, performance and price into consideration, perhaps also have a look at one of these

There are some pretty obvious comments further down the page, not exactly much smaller with that useable lens, so whats the point?
I'm still trying to get my head around digital in general but all this is interesting. Also looking for a nice compact, was liking the Lumix (may need to skim it across a river (or frozen lake) sometime :D ) but it all moves so fast these days. The main point will be better image quality than the Olympus mju with the same toughness, perhaps current image quality is worth the change over?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jcr_au » Sat 31 Jul, 2010 1:06 pm

Nuts wrote:
jcr_au wrote:Taking weight, performance and price into consideration, perhaps also have a look at one of these

There are some pretty obvious comments further down the page, not exactly much smaller with that useable lens, so whats the point?
I'm still trying to get my head around digital in general but all this is interesting. Also looking for a nice compact, was liking the Lumix (may need to skim it across a river (or frozen lake) sometime :D ) but it all moves so fast these days. The main point will be better image quality than the Olympus mju with the same toughness, perhaps current image quality is worth the change over?

With the performance of (nearly) a mid range DSLR at a fraction of the weight the nex, GF1 or EP-1 seem very attractive for walking. And at that size can attach to your harness for easy access on the track
John R
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work.
I want to achieve immortality through not dying."
jcr_au
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ent » Sat 31 Jul, 2010 7:49 pm

whynotwalk wrote:
One DSLR-user's tip from me: I "wear" my camera while bushwalking, using a water resistant case called a "Zing Case". That way I don't have to stop & unpack the camera every time I want to take a pic. It's liberated how I take photos while walking. They have to be imported, eg from http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/7 ... Cover.html

Here's a pic. of me wearing mine,

Love the case for the camera and the pack is not half bad either :D

Cheers Brett
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Liamy77 » Sat 31 Jul, 2010 11:49 pm

I have been using this (not my image though) attached to the chest and waist straps of my pack :
Attachments
lowepro_toploadzoom2_sml.jpg
Lowepro topload zoom 2 - on the front of the pack harness.
lowepro_toploadzoom2_sml.jpg (2.55 KiB) Viewed 24067 times
Taggunnah
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Location: Southern Channel, Tas.... but sometimes i leave n walk around elsewhere!

Postby walkinTas » Sat 31 Jul, 2010 11:54 pm

How does it go? I have always wondered if they would jog up and down as you walked, or if they would sit tight.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Liamy77 » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 12:42 am

you can thread it onto the webbing at the top and strap the bottom down from the D rings at the bottom - i often have the camera strap around my neck too (i use a modified guitar strap)... doesn't shake too much and has good padding.. counterbalances well and makes a good excuse to buy nice heavy lenses i think! i can fit two lenses (one on the body) and a 1.4X converter, tube of filters, extra batteries, cloth, etc:D Has a nylon rain cover built it too but i have also sprayed it with silicon waterproofing heaps too and repeat the coat occassionly
Taggunnah
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby whynotwalk » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 3:40 pm

With the Zing Case, the adjustable elastic strap around your waist holds the camera steady when you're walking. The camera's own strap goes around your neck. I find it doesn't jiggle around at all. When you want to take a photo, you just peel the neoprene cover of the camera, and the camera is already there around your neck. Switch on, lens cap off & snap! Meanwhile the neoprene case is still strapped to your waist.

The only minor problems I've encountered are in heavy rain (they're not fully waterproof) and when you're down-climbing facing the rock (it tends to force you out a little further than is comfortable). So better to stow in such situations.

And yes Brett - One Planet packs are hard to beat. This is my second, and I love 'em :D .

cheers

Peter
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Drifting » Tue 03 Aug, 2010 7:30 pm

Having done this a few times before, I'd recommend these:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos550d/page29.asp

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/17-70mm- ... -hsm-sigma

The 17-70 will let you do a lot of near-macro type work, and is a super flexible lens. A definite step up from the Canon kit lens, which ok too, if you go for the IS version.
All good things are wild, and free.
Drifting

Postby tasadam » Tue 03 Aug, 2010 10:15 pm

I agree that a 17-70 is likely to have better optics than something like the 18-200
But I am not at all familiar with any of the Sigma lenses and there are a number of other multi options...
I know that in a pro zoom lens, normally you won't see the max focal length go much beyond about 3 times the min focal length.
However... Because of the hassles with changing lenses in the field, having the right lens on at the right opportunity, dust risk on the sensor etc...
Do you think something with a better range will have "good enough" optics to justify doing away with the kit lenses and getting a body only?

On the body, the 500D can be bought for a fair bit less than the 550D, like a few hundred.
Main difference seems to be 15Mp compared to 18 for the 550d.
Better to put that coin towards lens?
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby kalium » Wed 04 Aug, 2010 8:54 pm

Apparently the newer micro 4/3 cameras are great. Expensive though. You can though in the meantime get a regular Olympus 4/3 (cheap), and then use your lens on the micro 4/3 when you have the $$ to upgrade (can get an adaptor for the lens). I have an E-410. Very very small and light. Takes pretty good photos as well (not as good as something like a D90 though). I've had IS cameras before, and I do kind of miss the IS (E-410 does not have it), but I'm willing to sacrafice for the size/weight.

After going to the National Wildlife photographer of the year expo and seeing plenty of great award winning potential photos taken with D70 and even lesser cameras, you realise you don't need the best camera to take good photos.
kalium
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Return to Photography