Simple lightweight tripod for smaller cameras

Cameras, tripods, techniques, etc.
Forum rules
Please note that the extended image rules for the Gallery forum also apply here.

Simple lightweight tripod for smaller cameras

Postby alliecat » Fri 15 Jan, 2010 12:23 pm

I just came across this thing. It's a lightweight, fixed height tripod that will hold up to 1.3kg so is suitable for P&S and smaller DSLR cameras. For those of us that aren't too serious about their photography this could be a good way to get those longer exposures without carrying a lot of extra weight.

One of these and a little gorilla-pod would cover 90% of the photos I'd like to take. I think.

Apparently they can be found cheapest on the fleabay.

Cheers,
Alliecat
alliecat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Simple lightweight tripod for smaller cameras

Postby Drifting » Fri 15 Jan, 2010 7:12 pm

I really liked the look of this, but it wont hold much weight, as you know, and isn't very height adjustible.
All good things are wild, and free.
Drifting
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Stibb » Mon 01 Aug, 2011 2:09 pm

Has anyone used one of these yet? How do they hold up?

I'm using a Panasonic TZ10 and sometimes put it on a tiny pocket tripod but need something taller.

I can't be bothered with a "proper" tripod, too slow and heavy so was hoping this would do.
Stibb

Postby DaveM » Wed 10 Aug, 2011 2:36 pm

Having previously owned Fletchers Fotographics in Hobart and being an active bushwalker myself and looking for the "perfect tripod" for years. I suspect a shock corded design will be too wobbly for most. It would be better than nothing but put an SLR and a bigger lens on it I'm thinking it will start to bend and/or twist.

I have not seen it in the flesh but I know most "brilliant" new ideas in tripods have tended to be more gimmicky than substance. My portable tripod is a tiny Giottos Q pod, a tiny fold out 3 legged (about 15-20cm steel legs) thing that holds many more kilos. It's damn short (about 15cm extended) but all steel and VERY tough - beware cheap n nasty imitations (that will break) of which there are a few. It packs into about 70cm short by 4cm wide - comparatively very heavy (sorry) for it's size but the weight is because it's VERY STRONG. Stick it on rocks, logs etc it will easily hold a big slr and big lens - no probs.

There is a short Velbon tripod (about 50cm fully extended) with a proper pan n tilt head which has strong alloy legs, wind up column - it's short but very strong and stable too. Have forgotten its number but might be Velbon 45 or something.
DaveM
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Stibb » Wed 10 Aug, 2011 3:14 pm

Thanks for the info, it all makes sense. However as the title suggest this topic is about smaller cameras not fullsize DSLR :wink:
The TZ10 doesn't weigh more than 200g...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1001/10012605panazs7.asp
Stibb

Postby Nuts » Wed 10 Aug, 2011 4:06 pm

Ive heard theyre questionable even with smaller DSLR, perhaps what a/cat suggests?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DaveM » Wed 10 Aug, 2011 4:26 pm

Yep I knew that it was for small cameras but I figured others may be interested in some options be they for small or larger cameras. I use my Q Pod regardless of whether it's for my 6mp 3 zoom compact Fuji F31 or my film or digital SLR's. 8)

In my experience a wobbly tripod will be just that no matter what you put on it.

Note - Using self timer helps greatly because the thing generally stops wobbling by the time the shutter opens.

Another thing I thought of re the shock cord tripod - you cant put it say half way up - its "all or nothing". If you have a more traditional telescopic design you could vary the leg height much better. Just another thought.

I tried EVERY tripod combo/type I could on my walks but bottom line was that even expensive brands with skinny legs don't really cut it, they twist and shake with the cheapest. Very frustrating. Really though it's a compromise so work out how much space and weight you're willing to allocate and go with it. Skinny tripods if not extended can be ok - use rocks/logs where poss. Amazing what you can do with some practical thinking that's for sure.

Sadly for us bushwalkers - to get a superbly strong tripod that weighs 50 grams is the impossible dream. Mind you if ever they work out how to do it they'll make a fortune. :mrgreen:
DaveM
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Stibb » Wed 10 Aug, 2011 5:06 pm

Ok, I get the point :)

I might still give it a try. I do realize it is a major compromise and I was thinking that using the self timer was the way to go. But even if it would help me keep the *&%$#! cameraI just slightly more stable would be a bonus. I don't mind all or nothing height as I was looking for an "all" height :wink:
Way back I used to carry around a "normal" tripod for my SLR but I don't want to go back to that. At least not with a compact. Defeats the point. I think I still have it but never use it. Maybe if I upgrade to a non-compact I'll be more inclined to use one.
Stibb

Postby gayet » Wed 10 Aug, 2011 5:32 pm

Must admit, I was interested in the other options. I don't have a full size DSLR but I do have some heavy lenses. I have a Slik 713CF II that is very stable but isn't really practical for getting close to ground level for macros etc. The Q Prod looks like it might be good for that but then I don't want to be carrying too much weight just in tripods. I use a heavy MF 222 ball head that gives an additional 6" or so in height so it isn't great for ground level either. I just hope for appropriate surfaces in the right area :-)
gayet

Region: Victoria

Postby Nuts » Wed 10 Aug, 2011 6:10 pm

Hey Alliecat, you mention the Joby.. do you use walking poles?

Their ball head is well made, I find it incredibly versatile, always seems to be somewhere to strap or stick it but even hand held it has made a big difference...

DSCN0133.jpg
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Stibb » Wed 10 Aug, 2011 7:29 pm

I like it!

Is it this one?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6 ... r_the.html

How did you attach it to the pole (if it is a walking pole :? )?
Stibb

Postby DaveM » Thu 11 Aug, 2011 11:13 am

I know of people using strong monopods as walking sticks. Then the ball head has a screw thread to attch to.
DaveM
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Nuts » Thu 11 Aug, 2011 11:34 am

Thats it stibb and the pole is just a straight komperdell (not everyone's style but it does me). The head bit screws off the walking pole and reveals a screw thread. Iv'e started using two, the other as a tent pole, but at around 200g this straight pole is nothing to carry. If you can find another use for one then all is good. Tent/tarp pole, monopod, possum 'pusher', the list goes on (even as a walking pole..). You can buy camera mount poles from many brands, I believe Leki sell one with an ergo grip but im pretty light on them so these straight one's do me without any wrist stress.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Stibb » Thu 11 Aug, 2011 11:50 am

Looks like a good option.

The only pole that looked like yours is foldable with shock cord
http://www.komperdell.com/en/poles/trek ... 301_10.php

So shock cord is good enough as a walking pole but not as a tripod? :wink:
Stibb

Postby Nuts » Thu 11 Aug, 2011 11:58 am

Maybe it will loosen up being opened/closed all the time (with the tripod)?

Thats a nice pole stibb, I''d say it has some kinda positive lock, hard to tell. The latest ones i have are these http://www.sierratradingpost.com/komper ... k~p~94895/ but many companies make them.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Stibb » Thu 11 Aug, 2011 12:50 pm

It's certainly a very neat solution. I usually don't use poles but with dual functions I could easily be persuaded. Especially since you only need one pole.
Stibb

Postby Nuts » Thu 11 Aug, 2011 1:46 pm

Yes... the possibilities are endless, beat back adoring fans with the bulbous end then with a quick change hold the camera at pole length to take a picture of ones self :D
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DaveM » Thu 11 Aug, 2011 2:59 pm

Shock cord in a walking pole doesn't matter because you don't notice nor care about the vibrations. That's my take on it.

Shock cord works well in various applications but the joints designed for it I imagine have sloppier tolerances and unlike most tripods no way to tighten the joint for usage. If that joint can be locked firmly - it will work better than I initally imagined - IF.

I'm only trying to help with my personal experiences and this unit may well suit you quite well for YOUR purposes. I don't believe it would be strong enough (vibration & especially tripod TWISTING wise) for my personal usage.

By all means give it a go - I always had "the latest & greatest" shoved at me by reps so I tried them, that's what I always did almost every weekend for years, until I found the various support types that suit how I like to take photos. I loved being able to "field test" so many cameras and accessories in my years owning the business, it allowed me to add practical and real advice not just regurgitate blurb printed by their PR departments.

If it turns out to be a ripper - excellent - let us all know - because heaps of people are looking for the perfect walkers tripod. :mrgreen:
DaveM
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Stibb » Thu 11 Aug, 2011 6:43 pm

Nuts wrote:Yes... the possibilities are endless, beat back adoring fans...

:lol: Yeah, that is a huge problem for me. I have so many.

And thanks Dave, I appreciate your input :)
It's hard with a strict budget. I want the best for nothing and without any weight penalty too :mrgreen:
Stibb

Postby alliecat » Fri 12 Aug, 2011 8:35 pm

Nuts wrote:Hey Alliecat, you mention the Joby.. do you use walking poles?

Their ball head is well made, I find it incredibly versatile, always seems to be somewhere to strap or stick it but even hand held it has made a big difference...

Hi Nuts,

I hadn't seen this before - it looks promising!

I do use trekking poles and I have one of the little gorillapods which I have wrapped around the pole a couple of times. It works okay, but this ball head would be better I suspect. I also have a little insert that goes in the top of my poles with the standard size mounting screw so I can mount the camera directly on that. That makes my pole a useful monopod.

I'm always open to new ideas though, and I'll definitely check this out.

Cheers,
Alliecat
alliecat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Sat 13 Aug, 2011 8:04 pm

Did that for a while a/c the ball head and portrait position gives a lot more options when its used 'tripod' style. I usually do keep the pole fairly short for stability.
I have a heavy benbo style uniloc macro tripod and a lightweight one but as compacts get better i find the slr gear and even the small tripod just too much hassle (for bushwalking) and the tripod not needed..
I can still make enlarged prints big enough for my needs (its 'liberating' :wink: )
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Mon 15 Aug, 2011 2:04 pm

On some occasions I use a cheap lightweight tripod, usually only if expecting to do time exposure shots of waterfalls etc. I've found the Inca AT330 to be quite useful and paid less than $20 for it, probably 2 years ago. I acknowledge that it is not in the same league as many of the other tripods discussed but it serves the purpose for the small P&S cameras that I use. I also don't like carrying a lot of heavy equipment. This is reasonably light and compact, and easily strapped to the outside of a small daypack.

http://www.photovideo.com.au/lightweight-aluminium-tripod-p-1660.html
http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/digital-cameras/camera-accessories/inca-at330/252496
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Photography