Waterproof DSLR Carry Bag

Cameras, tripods, techniques, etc.
Forum rules
Please note that the extended image rules for the Gallery forum also apply here.

Waterproof DSLR Carry Bag

Postby farkewie » Wed 16 Dec, 2009 8:49 pm

Hi,

I have had a search around and cannot seem to find anything. I am after a waterproof carry case for a DSLR i don't own the camera yet so i am pretty flexible. What i really want is a really compact one i only plan on taking an 18-55 lens or something similar. So i want one of those "V" shaped cases. Hard to explain but the compact ones that mold to the camera shape.

Sorry if im not making sense i guess I'm just looking for a really lightweight waterproof compact case just for the camera with the attached small lens.

Or maybe im heading in the wrong direction... How does everyone cart their DSLR knowing they are in for rain a creek crossings?
farkewie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Waterproof DSLR Carry Bag

Postby Drifting » Wed 16 Dec, 2009 9:03 pm

It's called a ziploc bag....

You can get a VERY expensive bag from Lowepro- but they are big and bulky, and very expensive:
http://products.lowepro.com/catalog/Waterproof,18.htm

I'd say the Rover would fit your needs. Buy from overseas if you go for a Lowepro bag.
All good things are wild, and free.
Drifting
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby farkewie » Wed 16 Dec, 2009 9:08 pm

Thanks for your reply. There was one thing i completely forgot to mention i will be going on multi day hikes so all those bags would be way too big.

Thanks though.
farkewie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Robatman » Wed 16 Dec, 2009 9:14 pm

I got a close fitting neoprene case off ebay for less than $20 and then keep it in a small roll top waterproof bag. Mines big enough (just) to get an Canon 50D with 18-200. A bit of protection and watertight for less than $40.

For day trips where I take alot more camera gear and tripod i love my Lowepro Rover AW http://products.lowepro.com/product/Rov ... 024,14.htm great harness/belt and plenty of room for a shell, lunch and a few bits and pieces.

Robert
Robatman
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby Ent » Wed 23 Dec, 2009 2:56 pm

Content removed by poster
Last edited by Ent on Mon 22 Nov, 2010 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Wed 23 Dec, 2009 5:18 pm

I've used a few bags, and none of them have come up 100%

What I currently use is a bit of a mix and match system.

I have a waterproof pack, so the camera resides in there if it's nasty weather, or I'm on the move. It's an Aarn pack, so the camera is always within reach in one of the front pockets.

Once we get to camp, I drag out my Kinesis C380 case and belt along with a small 19L Black Diamond daypack. Whilst not 100% waterproof, it's very protective and its been through many downpours without getting the camera wet. I give it a spray of DWR now and again and that seems to be good enough. It wouldn't survive extended immersion though. With this setup I'm good to go for up to a full day's walking around the area, the daypack is just enough to carry wet weather gear and food etc. Water goes onto the belt, along with an extra lens pouch if required.

The kgear is very durable, but not cheap...
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Drifting » Wed 23 Dec, 2009 6:47 pm

I've been grappling with this too- how do you carry expensive camera gear in a compressed pack?

The folks using Aarn packs with the front bit being dedicated for camera gear may be on to something.

I'm thinking of getting some cheap neopreme sleeves from HVStar, and using those for lenses, and storing my slr lens-less in the pack with the lenses, maybe all in a ziploc bag.

Alternatively, you could try storing everything in a Lowepro toploader, which goes in yuor pack.

Also, I've been contemplating trying a case-type arrangement with the straps cut off. I'll see if I can find a link for you. The whole thing would go in my pack.

I wish the new mini-dslr's were cheaper/better- that's be awesome!
Drifting

Postby Drifting » Wed 23 Dec, 2009 7:03 pm

Something like these, that go in your pack. Not waterproof, but you could put it in it's own silnylon bag. Some of the smaller ones are only like 680g or something like that.

http://tamrac.com/Cat_09_ShoulderBags-Prt-2.pdf
Drifting

Postby photohiker » Wed 23 Dec, 2009 7:26 pm

I forgot to say that I pack the C380 inside my pack but packed with other gear inside it. This way it takes up minimal extra space.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Wed 23 Dec, 2009 7:36 pm

Drifting wrote:I've been grappling with this too- how do you carry expensive camera gear in a compressed pack?

The folks using Aarn packs with the front bit being dedicated for camera gear may be on to something.

I'm thinking of getting some cheap neopreme sleeves from HVStar, and using those for lenses, and storing my slr lens-less in the pack with the lenses, maybe all in a ziploc bag.

Alternatively, you could try storing everything in a Lowepro toploader, which goes in yuor pack.

Also, I've been contemplating trying a case-type arrangement with the straps cut off. I'll see if I can find a link for you. The whole thing would go in my pack.

I wish the new mini-dslr's were cheaper/better- that's be awesome!

Yep. I've seen this arrangement too but maybe with a smaller shoulder bag than in the pdf. Something that would take a DSLR and 2-3 lenses and still fit in a standard pack.

Aarn are about to release a photo frontpack setup for their mainstream body packs. Should be awesome. Franco posted about it here.

On the subject of mini-dslrs, I've all but made my mind up to go with a Panasonic M4/3rds GF1. It's not with the Pro DSLRs in terms of resolution or dynamic range, but it's well ahead of your compact camera alternatives.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Drifting » Wed 23 Dec, 2009 7:48 pm

If you were getting more stuff. this'd be good. I might try a couple of those for myself and my wife!

http://www.kgear.com/p/V092.html

As for the mini-DSLRs, consider waiting for 6 months and seeing what other folks come out with- I reckon that's a field that's going to go nuts. Having said that though, that Panasonic looks nice. Is Panasonic the brand that is compatible with those pancake lenses? That'd be the ultimate in compact DSLRs! I really like the Olympus version too, but I've got too much stuff to change manufacturers.
Drifting

Postby photohiker » Wed 23 Dec, 2009 7:56 pm

Drifting wrote:'ve got too much stuff to change manufacturers.

Here's the thing. The M4/3rd's have such a short mount-to-filmplane distance that just about any lens can be mounted with an adapter. I'm thinking of starting with the pancake 20mm/1.7 and adding an OM adapter so I can then use my mothballed OM zuiko lenses (esp. the 50/2 Macro)

So basically, I'll keep my Canon gear for short trips, car trips, and local events. The GF1 would become my travel and extended trip camera.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Drifting » Wed 23 Dec, 2009 8:22 pm

That sounds like a good idea. I've got all Canon gear, and those lovely L lenses take awesome photos, but man are they heavy! I keep swearing I'm going to leave the 100-400 home, and yet it keeps worming it's way into my pack.

Does your 50/2 Macro have 1:1 magnification? I'd love a f/2 macro!

Another thing to think about is the 1000D- those things are tiny, but they take really nice photos- better than the Rebel line of cameras IMHO.

If you go for a micro 4/3 system, you'll have to be sure to post heaps of photos!
Drifting

Postby photohiker » Wed 23 Dec, 2009 9:02 pm

Hi.

The OM 50/2 Macro is 1:2 life size. You'd need an extension tube to bring it to 1:1. Still a pretty nice lens, and 100mm FOV on a M4/3rds system.

1000D is nice, yes. Still stuck with the heavy/bulky lenses though.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ninjapuppet » Sat 26 Dec, 2009 12:21 am

i use a lowepro 65AW with one of these chest harness
bought from a US retailer
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Lowepro-Topload- ... 3ca8a89e2b

doesnt really get in the way, easy access from the front, AW = all weather.

ALthough i slipped once and nearly fell onto it my stomach when going over some slippery moss.
ive got a few more fancy and expensive set ups but this seems to give me the easiest and quickest access.

I couple this with a gitzo mountaineering tripod which goes across the top of my pack, and I cant complain.
ninjapuppet
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New Zealand

Postby mupperoni » Thu 11 Feb, 2010 5:08 pm

Lowepro Rover is an overkill - absolute overkill for you. Just buy two dry bags (dry sacks?) from sea to summit and stuff it in your camera bag for emergency. Also have some plastic bags handy (those from myer work well for me) to quickly cover your camera when it suddenly rains. The dry bags are for when you need to wade in creeks - I have only ever needed it once.

If you need rain protection, get a lowepro bag with "AW" (all weather) model. It basically has a "rain jacket" for the bag. I use a Lowepro nova 190 AW (yeah this is a big bag) - and I've been in torrential rain and snow the AW cover protects my camera well.
mupperoni
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby whynotwalk » Tue 24 Aug, 2010 2:31 pm

I'm a bit late to this, but anyone who's slightly handy with a sewing machine might like to consider what I'm talking about here http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4677

cheers

Peter
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Photography