Going off-track for photos

Cameras, tripods, techniques, etc.
Forum rules
Please note that the extended image rules for the Gallery forum also apply here.

Going off-track for photos

Postby bcshort » Thu 01 Oct, 2009 4:59 pm

Hi All

Noting that some there are some PWS Staff on the forums (and seeking their advice in particular), I am seeking a bit of information with regards to all the work around around Russell Falls & some photography.

In recent years PWS have done a fantastic job of putting into pine platforms around the base of Russell Falls, but these have also made it impossible to take any interesting photos of the falls due to the vast amounts of fencing, resulting in the "cliche" shot. I certainly remember back in the late 80's and the early 90s that all this fencing did not exist. There was also a path that allowed access to the second tier of the falls, eg This Picture. This track is still clearly visible at the bottom of the recently added pine steps up to horse shoe falls.

To me, This image is much more interesting Than This image. But to take any of these photos means jumping the fence.

Now I am guessing that the fences are also there for a reason - to protect the surrounding area from erosion caused by my big feet, and to reduce the chances of some tourist suing PWS for damages because they couldn't possibly take responsibility for themselves slipping on a rock. No doubt I'd upset PWS staff very quickly if I were caught prancing around on the 2nd tier of the falls with my camera.

So, is it possible to get permission to go off-track? - I'd be happy to sign liability waivers etc.. Is it something you just do? do you have to be accompanied by PWS Staff to make it "official"

If it can't be done, would PWS consider actually making the falls a bit more camera friendly? The Lower and Upper Vantage points for photography are overgrown and yes, ok cutting it back may look a bit unsightly, but then it saves people like me from asking the question about other vantages :)

PS: I don't plan to do This :)

I guess I could write to PWS too and I will do that based on some of the advice if any I get from this post.
bcshort
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Re: Going off-track for photos

Postby tasadam » Thu 01 Oct, 2009 5:44 pm

My advice would be to phone the Mt Field / Russell Falls parks office, ask for the senior ranger (or phone back when he will be there), and raise your questions with them directly.
Someone here may have an opinion, Tastrax?

There are some Russell falls photos here too.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby tastrax » Thu 01 Oct, 2009 9:47 pm

Some interesting points there bcshort,

I will alternate between my parks hat and my private hat on this one... to me it partly depends on what you wanted to do with the photos. Years ago I was involved with a photoshoot for the Great Short Walks and one thing I really wanted was that the average tourist could take the same photos (in most cases). Sure we took some icon shots from helicopters but in general I felt that if Jo Average went to a location then they should have the same opportunity to take that great image. If the shots from the middle of the falls were for wide distribution (including web galleries, posters, postcards etc) then I would say that's not in PWS best interests as others may wish to take the same photo which may lead to increased impacts in the area (possibly), "tourist type folks" going beyond their abilities (possibly) and PWS being exposed to higher public risk incidents (possibly).

So can you still take a great shot of the falls? - well yes...and no. You cant take the same shots as years ago as the forest has evolved and some infrastructure has changed. Could the existing facilities still provide a great shot - probably with some strategic pruning. :?: Maybe we could convince peterj to do some pruning?

http://www.wildcaretas.org.au/pages/cal ... id=785#reg

Can you still get to the centre falls? Yes you can (unofficially) - the tracks on both sides still exists (albeit slightly overgrown, some land slippage and in one case with the entrance slightly disguised) but the bridges across the centre falls no longer exists. They failed most standards and if I remember correctly one did get "displaced from its footings" during one large flood before being removed. Should they be replaced? - interesting, as we have done some work on what would be required to replace it. The question remains if that project would be the best use of limited resources. In today's risk averse society it would not be a simple low key bridge like the old one. It would need to comply with the Australian Standards (AS2156) including pool type fencing so you can see the dilemma..... :oops: you may not get the same shot as you did previously.

Not sure that answers your questions but hopefully it gives you an insight into the issues. If you go to Mt Field try and have a chat to the new Senior Ranger Brendan.... I suspect he might even see this post.

Cheers - Phil
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby bcshort » Thu 01 Oct, 2009 10:44 pm

Thanks for this Phil,

This seem's to re-inforce my line of thinking that contacting the park ranger, and just saying "hi, I'd like to do this, I understand the risks, is this ok with you" shouldn't cause too much drama. In all honesty I would probably limit my approach to the horseshoe falls side of the track armed with some gumboots, and not attempt to cross anyway (last 2 trips have been damn good flows - enough to make photography at the lower falls a waste of time...).

I wasn't aware of where the track came out on the "other side" of the track - I won't ask here, but will save again for the Snr Ranger. And some fascinating insight there as well. I remember taking the trip in 1989 on the Mothers Day Steam Train...and in the video there are people walking across that middle tier, which set all this thinking off.

Personally, if making the walkway meant having to deal with AS2156, I'd say don't bother and leave it for the adventurous (or stupid). Whilst I am all for improving access, it shouldn't impact on the view of the falls themselves. Seeing pool type fencing running above the lower falls would just look ugly.

Thanks again. Will follow up with the Parks Chappy and report back here, but if you can happen to point Brendan at this thread for some insight, that would be awesome too.

Thanks so Much
Ben
bcshort
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby tastrax » Thu 01 Oct, 2009 10:58 pm

bcshort wrote:....This seem's to re-inforce my line of thinking that contacting the park ranger, and just saying "hi, I'd like to do this, I understand the risks, is this ok with you" shouldn't cause too much drama.

No problems Ben,

The biggest reason for speaking to the staff is because you can be assured that someone will come into the office and tell them about "some bloke wandering about in the middle falls". This is the same as for groups who have permission to "work while you walk" (see Guerilla Maintenance thread). There are lots of people out there that help us to protect the place and it can chew up a huge amount of some Rangers time "chasing offenders". And in this day and age of mobile phones we get some information pretty quickly!

A five minute chat with the staff could save us hours of investigation.
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby Binder » Fri 09 Oct, 2009 9:14 am

G'day Ben (and others)

I'm the new Senior Ranger for Mt Field (and South West), and would be happy to talk to you about your access to Russell Falls. As mentioned earlier, the main problem we have is the general public seeing someone over the rails, who then either report them to us, or join them in going around the barriers. We can work around this by timing around quiet visitation times etc, so either give me a call, or drop in to the Visitor Centre.

Great to see so much disussion happening about issues out in the big playground we have in Tas. Looking forward to being involved.

Cheers

Binder
Binder
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Parks and Wildlife

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 09 Oct, 2009 10:50 am

Thanks Binder (and tastrax!) for taking the time to participate on the forums and give us the inside information from Parks to help us out from time to time. :-)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby PeterJ » Sat 21 Nov, 2009 8:33 pm

[quote="tastrax"].........So can you still take a great shot of the falls? - well yes...and no. You cant take the same shots as years ago as the forest has evolved and some infrastructure has changed. Could the existing facilities still provide a great shot - probably with some strategic pruning. :?: Maybe we could convince peterj to do some pruning?
quote]

I miss a lot of the posts in the forum, but as with this one sometimes catch up late. Strategic pruning could easily be added to our schedule, we certainly have the necessary gear for it. Just need the OK and be pointed in the right direction
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tasadam » Sat 19 Dec, 2009 7:11 am

PeterJ wrote:Strategic pruning could easily be added to our schedule, we certainly have the necessary gear for it. Just need the OK and be pointed in the right direction

Hi Peter.
If you're into strategic pruning, might I suggest along the pad from Mt Karamu to South West Cape... :P
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby bcshort » Sat 19 Dec, 2009 11:07 am

I feel like a goose.

After making this request, time has gotten away from me, and I'll be lucky to get up to Mt Field again before Autumn. Although it looks like there might be a bit more funding for maintenance in general judging by the news this week :)

Merry xmas all :)
bcshort
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby PeterJ » Mon 21 Dec, 2009 7:39 pm

tasadam wrote:Hi Peter.
If you're into strategic pruning, might I suggest along the pad from Mt Karamu to South West Cape... :P

When walking from Wilson Bight we looked out that way, but it was a bit misty so we continued on to Window Pane Bay; looks like we made the right decision that day. The encroaching Bauera between SW Cape Range and Mt Melaleuca (on return trip) gave us sufficient anyway.
As for a bit of pruning; well I'll think about it. Perhaps PWS will offer an inducement that can't be resisted.
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Photography