Daypack - Camera Carrying + Hiking Functionality

Cameras, tripods, techniques, etc.
Forum rules
Please note that the extended image rules for the Gallery forum also apply here.

Postby Aushiker » Tue 26 Sep, 2017 1:02 am

At some time in the relatively near future I need to sort out a daypack that I can use:

[1] As a carry-on bag for flying internationally [UK in the first instance];
[2] Carry my Olympus OM-D EM-1 or more likely Olympus OM-D EM-5ii plus at least an Olympus 12-40 f/2.8 PRO lens. Not really decided on lenses as yet but may just go with the one;
[3] Carry raincoat, rain pants, snacks etc for day hiking in the UK [aiming to walk Wainright's Coast to Coast over ~ 15 days]
[4] Bonus: Tablet sleeve {10"]

I had been tossing up the idea of camera specific pack such as the Mindshift Gear Rotation series of packs and then I came across this blog post at PetaPixel where the author takes the path of a Osprey pack with a Tenba BYOB 13 camera insert.

So I thought I would drop in here and ask what folks do in such situation if you carry micro four-thirds or mirrorless or dslr cameras on day hikes. Any suggestions on particular good day packs or other options for carrying camera gear and hiking gear.
Andrew
Aushiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Western Australia

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 26 Sep, 2017 6:56 am

One always desires that n+1 backpack.

I have a Lowpro Photo Sport BP AW II for the purpose you described. I would pick this if I plan to take my FF dSLR with additional lenses.

http://store.lowepro.com/backpacks/phot ... -200-aw-ii

Otherwise for just the camera, any other pack will do. Protect the camera with a neoprene camera wrap (AliExpress) and into the pack with everything else. Whilst there, I use a Joby Pro sling strap or PeakDesign Capture to have the camera easily available.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Daypack - Camera Carrying + Hiking Functionality

Postby photohiker » Tue 26 Sep, 2017 8:04 am

Over the years, I have used several camera backpacks when hiking:

Lowepro camera mini pack (good space, poor uncomfortable fit)
Lowepro PhotoSport (better, but still not a good comfortable pack)
Osprey Stratos 24 and Exos 34 with an insert: Crumpler Haven M (Good comfortable pack, but not quickly accessible)
Kinesis belt pack system (Good system for short walks, not useful for tripod though)

Lastly since early 2016, Mindshift Gear Rotation 180° Panorama 22L. This has been an ideal pack for my hiking. Enough room for my camera gear with easy access without having to remove the pack to get to the gear. Room for rain jacket and food/water, tripod etc. Fits my Fuji XT with 4 lenses (14mm/23mm/27mm/50-230mm, MCEX-11) and accessories.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Tue 26 Sep, 2017 9:40 am

What about an Aarn with photo balance pockets?
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby photohiker » Tue 26 Sep, 2017 10:25 am

Strider wrote:What about an Aarn with photo balance pockets?

Yes. Have those as well. Not really suitable for a day walk, but very good for a multiday camping trip. Camera gear and water etc in the front pockets, then tent, food, sleeping gear etc in the pack.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 26 Sep, 2017 10:30 am

I agree, Aarn is for greater load (overnight or multiday). Further, those larger packs won't be ideal/allowed for airline flights. On military transport for soldier transport yes. ;)
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby gayet » Tue 26 Sep, 2017 11:02 am

photohiker wrote:.... Mindshift Gear Rotation 180° Panorama 22L. ...

Very nice looking pack Michael.

I like the look of the 16L Trail version. A bit lighter and somewhat reduced at present.....
gayet

Region: Victoria

Postby photohiker » Tue 26 Sep, 2017 12:54 pm

gayet wrote:
photohiker wrote:.... Mindshift Gear Rotation 180° Panorama 22L. ...

Very nice looking pack Michael.

I like the look of the 16L Trail version. A bit lighter and somewhat reduced at present.....

Good deal there. When I chose the Panorama the price was close between the two. The advantage of the Trail version is the water bladder is centre behind your back, not on the side. I just carry a bottle in the top section unless I am on a longer walk. The Panorama has some more room, and can take a larger camera and ipad, and the tripod at the back instead of the side... Not that much in it, and today I'd probably buy the Trail and save US$80, but very happy with the Pano. I walk with it in the local hills 4-8km almost every day since it arrived. My total walking log is nearing 8000km since I started logging in 2011 and the average is 3.2km including the days I never walked!
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Aushiker » Tue 26 Sep, 2017 2:40 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I will have a good look at the suggestions.

Whilst I was wondering around http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ last night I spotted a Marmot Graviton which basically has a back panel zip opening which would by the looks provide easy camera access, but at 34 litres is maybe on the large size.

I will probably make use of a Peak Design Capture as well assuming good weather :)
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue 26 Sep, 2017 9:16 pm

Mindshift Gear have a sale on their Ultralight series with the 25L listed at US$135.99. Maybe a decent option? There 16L gets a good wrap here.

EDIT: Found the 16L on eBay Australia for AU$120 delivered which is a nice price indeed. The cheapest price on the 25L is again on eBay Australia for AU$208 delivered. I think I need to go lightweight and get the 16L. Got plenty of time to get it and if it does not work sell it on and get the 25L.
Andrew
Aushiker

Return to Photography