ISO, Filters, Post Processing, etc

Cameras, tripods, techniques, etc.
Forum rules
Please note that the extended image rules for the Gallery forum also apply here.

Re: ISO, Filters, Post Processing, etc

Postby alliecat » Wed 27 May, 2009 12:55 pm

tasadam wrote:
photohiker wrote:When the limitation starts getting in the way of getting the image it also informs the decision on what needs changing,
Precisely why I need a new tripod, so often it has nearly gone flying through the woods like a 3 iron up the fairway after a typical hook slice miss shot :x (always wanted to use the "mad" smiley...)

Completely OT, but in response to Adam's 3-iron comment...

Golf. The sport that brings out the murderous psycho in all of us :D
My brother is one of the most placid people on the planet under normal circumstances. But I have seen him on a golf course repeatedly smashing a buggy into a tree while hurling equal amounts of abuse and sobs at the offending flora. Such a relaxing sport...

Cheers,
Alliecat
alliecat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Ent » Wed 27 May, 2009 12:58 pm

Content removed by poster
Last edited by Ent on Thu 11 Nov, 2010 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mickeymoo » Wed 27 May, 2009 1:35 pm

alliecat wrote:
tasadam wrote:
photohiker wrote:When the limitation starts getting in the way of getting the image it also informs the decision on what needs changing,
Precisely why I need a new tripod, so often it has nearly gone flying through the woods like a 3 iron up the fairway after a typical hook slice miss shot :x (always wanted to use the "mad" smiley...)

Completely OT, but in response to Adam's 3-iron comment...

Golf. The sport that brings out the murderous psycho in all of us :D
My brother is one of the most placid people on the planet under normal circumstances. But I have seen him on a golf course repeatedly smashing a buggy into a tree while hurling equal amounts of abuse and sobs at the offending flora. Such a relaxing sport...

Cheers,
Alliecat

Lol I can well identify with him!! It normally take a LOT to get me riled up, but golf will do it everytime :lol:

I too have been thinking about upgrading my tripod, I have been looking at the Gitzo GT2540 Mountaneer series, and a Really Right Stuff ball head, its frustrating that we don't have any stores that you can go into here in Tassie to have a look at them when your going to be spending so much money on it. So I gather from previous comments that 3 leg sections will be more stable than 4? For some reason they don't seem to make one in the series 2 without the centre column either only series 3 which is getting a tad heavy at 1.8kgs without a head.

Michael.
Mickeymoo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tasadam » Wed 27 May, 2009 2:25 pm

Yeah, I recently finished reading all that Gitzo stuff too. The series 3 is about 300 grams more heavy, and a bit longer. I like the sound of the 2540 being a tad shorter, being it will be strapped to the outside of my pack for much of its working life.
But as for the Mountaineer vs the leveller etc, I am lost there as I cannot see them so aren't fully sure of the differences.
The lack of a centre pole is obvious, though on the others you can take the pole out.
I can almost see a split coming on re tripods, but it's useful discussion.
Maybe a bulk buy on Gitzo?
I haven't checked out the others yet eg Manfrotto et al, will get to that.
No hurry, no money yet.
If you wanted to fund me a trip to Hong Kong, I can go have a look at em for ya.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby photohiker » Wed 27 May, 2009 4:27 pm

On page 6 of the Gitzo downloadable catalogue, there is a description of "Ground Level Set" which is an apparently quick process for removing the centre column and attaching the ball mounting plate directly to the tripod. This is an excellent idea.

For low angle shooting, the center column can be removed and
the upper disc fitted directly to the tripod top casting. The disc is locked into
position using the retractible column hook. The ground level configuration can be
achieved in a few seconds without tools or extra components, and only the column
need be removed. With this effective and simple built-in solution we like to think
we’ve dramatically increased the ways you can use the tripod.
The Gitzo ground level set is patent pending.

Good to see someone inside is listening. There are several companies selling adapters for Gitzo pods to permanently remove the column.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby the_camera_poser » Wed 27 May, 2009 7:12 pm

Ok- I'm going to contribute to the split-tability of this topic.

I've recently been thinking of a new tripod- my el cheapo Hong Kong Special's legs keep falling off, which is rather annoying. Rather.

Anyhow, I've been sizing up the Manfrotto PROX55 with the horizontal column. Heavy, but I want a heavy one for max stability. I'd love a Gitzo, but they are soooooo expensive.

Actually, I Adam and Michael need to offer us a community service- they can buy the stuff, and let the rest of us play with it.....

Does anyone use a monopod?
the_camera_poser

Postby north-north-west » Wed 27 May, 2009 9:17 pm

the_camera_poser wrote:Does anyone use a monopod?

When I'm desperate for a little more stability than hand-held, and I've not brought the tripod, I invert my trekking pole and use that as a monopod. Gets me some weird looks, but it works.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby photohiker » Wed 27 May, 2009 9:37 pm

I've seen trekking poles with camera mounts on them, and also here but I rejected the idea because I'd have to leave my tripod at home with the extra weight. :D
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby the_camera_poser » Wed 27 May, 2009 10:49 pm

You beauty! I'd seen those ruddy walking stick monopods elsewhere, and could never find them again. Ta!
the_camera_poser

Postby tasadam » Wed 27 May, 2009 11:36 pm

photohiker wrote:I've seen trekking poles with camera mounts on them, and also here but I rejected the idea because I'd have to leave my tripod at home with the extra weight. :D

This topic covers that subject.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Previous

Return to Photography