where to carry the camera

Cameras, tripods, techniques, etc.
Forum rules
Please note that the extended image rules for the Gallery forum also apply here.

where to carry the camera

Postby craigw » Mon 29 Dec, 2008 8:19 am

Hi,
Just curious as to where and how people carry their camera. I've got a DSLR (Pentax K100D) which I love using but I've never been able to find a position to carry it where its accessible, doesn't get in my way when walking and doesn't bang around too much. In the past I've resorted to stowing the camera in the top of the pack but this means getting the pack off every 20 minutes for 'that' shot. I'm actually semi-convinced in buying a compact digital which can go in a pocket and can be got at instantly without too much hassle, but I realllly want to take the SLR.

So how do people strap their cameras, where do they strap em, how do they weather proof em, should i go for the compact?

Oh and by the way, I was skimming through some older posts and came across a series of photos taken by David Noble of a Western Arthurs trek. Awesome series of photos (see http://www.david-noble.net/Tasmania/Wes ... sMenu.html) but perhaps more impressive than the scenery were the Nori Rolls (Day 2?) and the Tofu Laksa (Day 6). I'm inspired to finally bury those maggi noodles as an option.

Craig
craigw
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: where to carry the camera

Postby the_camera_poser » Mon 29 Dec, 2008 9:00 am

I have the same problem. What some people do, and I'm going to look in to, is get straps that hook the camera to the shoulder straps of your pack, so that it doesn't dangle from your neck. The other thing you could try is a holster, like the Lowepro Topload series. They have an all weather (AW) series, and can be quite affordable. I've contemplated getting one to mount on the waist belt of my camera bag even.
the_camera_poser

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 29 Dec, 2008 9:41 am

When carrying a larger camera (SLR, etc), I have it in a case on a long strap. I put the strap not only around my neck, but I put my head AND arms through it (AFTER putting the pack on). This way, it hangs in front of me at about stomach height, and the weight actually sits on the pack shoulder straps, and no weight at all on my neck.

It's tricky getting the strap length right for this. Too long and it's at groin height which is rather uncomfortable if it gets a swing up; too short, and it's too difficult to get both arms through at once. The only other problem with this method is that you have to take it off every time you take your pack off, and then remember to put it back on every time after you put your pack on. But you very rarely need to take the pack off, so I've never had a problem with it.

However, I'm likely to replace my old analog SLR with a compact digital one day, at which point I'll look into strapping it to the chest strap, I think.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby the_camera_poser » Mon 29 Dec, 2008 9:58 am

The new digital compacts are pretty impressive- nothing like a good DSLR, but pretty amazing nonetheless. A lot of professionals use them. Canon and Panasonic in particular have some sweet cameras in their "Prosumer" lines.

OTOH, a small DSLR with a little, fixed lens on it will give you better image quality, and makes you get creative with your shooting. My 350D with a 28/2.8 or 50/1.8 weighs about the same as a big fancy super-zoom copmact camera.
the_camera_poser

Postby tas-man » Mon 29 Dec, 2008 11:51 am

"Back in the olden days . . " Bushwalkers always carried their 35mm SLR's in the top of their packs, and each photo opportunity was carefully assessed before deciding to down the pack, unpack the camera, frame the photos, and THEN press the shutter, trusting that the metering and ƒ stop/speed settings had correctly exposed the film. You didn't find out until weeks after the trip if you had got a good photo! I tried something different on my first extended walking trip to Tasmania in 1971. I found an army surplus canvas ammunition bag that held my SLR with 52mm lens, plus 35 and 135 mm lenses, and several slide film containers as well. I attached this with clips to the pack straps and so had the camera always available without taking my pack off. And the extravagance of the film usage . . . I allowed for a whole 36 exposure film per day going from Lake St Clair to Cradle Mountain! The all up weight of that kit that bounced in front of me was around 1kg for the camera and 52mm ƒ1.4 lens, and another 700 grams for the 35 and 135mm lenses, plus accessories. These days its my Panasonic DMC-LZ7 weighing in at 245grams that sits in my shirt pocket or fanny pack, with the capacity for over 1000 photos :shock:

Ian@CradleMt1971.jpg
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Robbo » Mon 29 Dec, 2008 11:55 am

One of the main reasons I use a compact it for this reason. I use an Olympus C7070 which gives reasonable quality stills, and useable video for data projector viewing.

TR
Attachments
WesternArthurs3.jpg
WesternArthurs3.jpg (123.7 KiB) Viewed 24342 times
"The place between your comfort zone and your dream is where your life takes place." Nick Vujicic.
Robbo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Gilson College
Region: Victoria

Postby the_camera_poser » Mon 29 Dec, 2008 11:59 am

Incidental to this- you can have a look at http://www.dpreview.com, they've just reviewed all the new compact cameras in a mega-Xmas blitz.

the image quality isn't A1- but the olympus waterproof models are pretty convenient for our conditions!
the_camera_poser

Postby ClockworkLemon » Mon 29 Dec, 2008 4:05 pm

craigw wrote:I'm actually semi-convinced in buying a compact digital which can go in a pocket and can be got at instantly without too much hassle, but I realllly want to take the SLR.

Or, you could have the best of both worlds. I take 2 cameras with me when I walk. I have a Mamiya M645 medium format camera, which gets carried in a waterproof bag at the top of the pack. I then have a compact digital camera attached to a strap on my pack, where it's easy to get to. That way, if I just want to snap a quick photo along the way, I can use the digital, and don't have to worry about the hassle of setting up the Mamiya.

Of course, these days compact digital cameras can do a pretty damn good job themselves. I recently bought a Canon Powershot A720, and boy that little beasty can take a good photo. It doesn't handle low light as well as my film camera can, but other than that, it's great.
ClockworkLemon
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby craigw » Mon 29 Dec, 2008 6:05 pm

great advice as ever. I might just squeeze that DSLR in the pack and keep a compact at the ready. Problem - I dont own a compact digital. So any suggestions other than those already listed. I guess good operation in low light is critical (though i'm hoping for 2 weeks of blue skies), image stabilising/anti-shake, reasonably high resolution, decent optical zoom and view finder (personal preference). Lets say under $350 for now.

craig
craigw
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ClockworkLemon » Mon 29 Dec, 2008 7:22 pm

craigw wrote:So any suggestions other than those already listed. I guess good operation in low light is critical (though i'm hoping for 2 weeks of blue skies), image stabilising/anti-shake, reasonably high resolution, decent optical zoom and view finder (personal preference). Lets say under $350 for now.

Well, since I bought my A720, I've been very impressed with Canon's offerings. As it turns out, things have only improved since I bought my camera. In your price range, you could pick yourself up a PowerShot A2000IS for $300, which would seem to meet all your requirements, except the viewfinder. If you're set on the viewfinder, then have a look at the PowerShot A1000IS, for $250. Having just looked at the specifications for the two cameras, it seems the only real difference between the two is the size of the LCD screen (2.5" for the A1000 vs 3" for the A2000), and the viewfinder.
ClockworkLemon
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Robbo » Mon 29 Dec, 2008 7:51 pm

craigw wrote:So any suggestions other than those already listed. I guess good operation in low light is critical (though i'm hoping for 2 weeks of blue skies), image stabilising/anti-shake, reasonably high resolution, decent optical zoom and view finder (personal preference). Lets say under $350 for now.

Check this website out to see what's available - its cheaper online but you don't always know what they are really like that way...

http://www.camerastore.com.au/Digital+C ... pact_1.htm

TR

BTW
I have used this company and have no complaints with service and supply...
"The place between your comfort zone and your dream is where your life takes place." Nick Vujicic.
Robbo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Gilson College
Region: Victoria

Postby the_camera_poser » Mon 29 Dec, 2008 8:06 pm

http://www.camerasdirect.com.au is another good place.

Clockwork, you want to go hiking with me, and my blackjack....uh I mean my......uh......well- how about a walk? I'd kill for a Mamiya 645. Where do you get your development done, and how much is it, if I may ask?
the_camera_poser

Postby ClockworkLemon » Mon 29 Dec, 2008 8:39 pm

the_camera_poser wrote:Clockwork, you want to go hiking with me, and my blackjack....uh I mean my......uh......well- how about a walk? I'd kill for a Mamiya 645.

They're a sweet piece of kit, for sure. They pop up on eBay from time to time, which is how I picked mine up.

Where do you get your development done, and how much is it, if I may ask?

Black and white I develop myself. Everything else I normally take to Black and White Photographics here in Launceston, because it's quick and cheap (typically films are ready in a day or two, and only costs $10 or so). However, if I can't get them developed there (like right now, because they're closed over the new year), then I'm stuck with taking them to Stallards, which takes a lot longer, about 1 week to 10 days, because they send the film to Hobart for processing. It's also about $20 per film, so they're not my preferred option.
ClockworkLemon
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby lexharris » Tue 30 Dec, 2008 1:26 pm

ClockworkLemon wrote: I take 2 cameras with me when I walk. I have a Mamiya M645 medium format camera, which gets carried in a waterproof bag at the top of the pack. I then have a compact digital camera attached to a strap on my pack, where it's easy to get to. That way, if I just want to snap a quick photo along the way, I can use the digital, and don't have to worry about the hassle of setting up the Mamiya.

Ah, now we're talking :wink: . I carry a minimum of two bodies, in the past a couple of Canon FD 35mm bodies (F-1 plus either A-1 or EF for MLU), and now also Mamiya 645 Pro medium format. One Canon FD lives in a snoot bag clipped into my shoulder straps - for quick access and snapshots without taking the pack off. Also outside the pack are my two favourite general purpose FD zooms, a 20-35mm f3.5L and a 35-105mm f3.5. One lens is fitted to the camera in the snoot bag, and the other is carried in a soft lens case clipped to my waist strap. So I can quickly change zoom lenses without taking pack off.

Like ClockworkLemon (cool name!) the Mamiya goes in a drysack at the top of the pack and used when higher quality pics are called for. Also in the pack are tripod, ball head and an assortment of lenses and paraphenalia. Lenses etc go in a rigid plastic shoebox available from BigW. I slip my lenses in stubby holders for protection, and the shoebox is lined with foam mat material for extra protection.

Gear list is here - note not all carried at once! (and no digital to speak of...): http://www.lexharris.net/equipment.htm

Speaking of film vs digital (and I hasten to add they both have their strong points!) I saw this great comment on Photo.Net:

"Digital cheap, but bad.
Film expensive, but good.
If I can be of further help, just let me know."

For anyone interested in the finer points, the thread is here: http://photo.net/film-and-processing-forum/00Rb8S

Below is a poor image (I have very few pics of myself and this is a small crop from a much larger image) but you get the idea:
Attachments
SN02-02-36crop.jpg
SN02-02-36crop.jpg (83.84 KiB) Viewed 24266 times
Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey (1927-1989)
lexharris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ClockworkLemon » Tue 30 Dec, 2008 3:49 pm

lexharris wrote:Also in the pack are tripod, ball head and an assortment of lenses and paraphenalia.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of tripod do you carry? I'm using a Manfrotto 190N, and I find that it's just a bit too bulky to fit nicely inside my pack. I've managed to rig up a surprisingly effective system for strapping it to the outside of the pack, so it's not too much of a drama, but I'd much prefer to have something that would 1) be sturdy enough for the M645 and 2) would fit nicely inside the pack.
ClockworkLemon
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby lexharris » Tue 30 Dec, 2008 4:48 pm

ClockworkLemon wrote:Just out of curiosity, what kind of tripod do you carry? I'm using a Manfrotto 190N, and I find that it's just a bit too bulky to fit nicely inside my pack. I've managed to rig up a surprisingly effective system for strapping it to the outside of the pack, so it's not too much of a drama, but I'd much prefer to have something that would 1) be sturdy enough for the M645 and 2) would fit nicely inside the pack.

It's a Chinese copy of the 4-section Gitzo Traveller GT1540T. The ball head is a Chinese copy of the Benro KS-0. Both are extremely high quality copies with all the features of the originals. The only real difference is that the tripod is aluminium instead of carbon fibre but actually I consider that an advantage because carbon fibre is more prone to fracture on impact. Weight-wise it's a little heavier, 1.3kg compared to 1.0kg for the Gitzo, but for me the 300g saving was not worth forking out an extra $600 or so. I got it new on Ebay earlier this year when the AUD was still strong, with ball head it was about $135. Folded length is 39cm which just fits cross-ways (horizontal) at the top of my MacPac Cascade. Anything longer I would have to shove vertically into the pack which would be a pain. I notice this tripod no longer comes up on the same seller's store on eBay (maybe removed due to copyright issues?). Apart from a genuine Gitzo there is one other similar tripod I've seen, search eBay for "Feisol CT-3441S Traveler Carbon Fiber Tripod" and you should find it. It's cheaper than the Gitzo, but a lot more expensive than my Chinese copy. Also longer when folded, 43cm. The Gitzo is the shortest (36cm) and lightest (1.0kg) but you need a very deep pocket!
Attachments
tripod.jpg
Copy of Gitzo GT1540T & Benro KS-0
tripod.jpg (19.06 KiB) Viewed 24252 times
tripod & ballhead.jpg
Folded up
tripod & ballhead.jpg (24.32 KiB) Viewed 24253 times
Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey (1927-1989)
lexharris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby the_camera_poser » Tue 30 Dec, 2008 8:12 pm

Lex- where do you get your 35mm developed?
the_camera_poser

Postby lexharris » Tue 30 Dec, 2008 9:57 pm

the_camera_poser wrote:Lex- where do you get your 35mm developed?

I'm very fortunate to have a professional lab just around the corner from where I live : http://www.fitzgeraldphoto.com.au. They tell me they get a lot of demand for E-6 and C-41 and process daily. Turnaround is often same day and 24 hours at the most if they're really busy. 135 and 120 films cost the same to develop, $5.70 for C-41 cut and sleeve or $11.50 for E-6 cut and sleeve, a bit more if you want mounting and/or scanning to CD. I do my own scanning so just get the film strips. More than 10 films at a time gets a 10% discount.

Film I get from Hong Hong, China, US, Europe or whatever, whoever has the best price on eBay. I keep stocks of favourite films (Provia 100F, Portra 160VC, Pro160C etc) in the fridge. I've just been looking at getting some of the new Kodak Ektar 100 which has been getting rave reviews. It's only available in 35mm but it's being promoted as the finest grain negative film available, on par with Velvia. That plus 12-14 stops of dynamic range is hard to argue with - try getting that from your digital! :wink:
lexharris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby lexharris » Tue 30 Dec, 2008 10:32 pm

the_camera_poser wrote:I'd kill for a Mamiya 645.

camera_poser, there is a Mamiya 645 Pro TL outfit (located in Australia) on Ebay right now. The current bid is $300 which is pretty cheap for a Pro TL although be aware that it has the basic non-metering prism finder and not the better AE prism finder. Check it out at:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... SS:AU:1123.
lexharris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby the_camera_poser » Wed 31 Dec, 2008 9:04 am

Divorce is more than $300...... :roll:
the_camera_poser

Postby lexharris » Wed 31 Dec, 2008 9:45 am

the_camera_poser wrote:Divorce is more than $300...... :roll:

:idea: Tell your wife that lesser cameras would not be capable of capturing her great beauty.
lexharris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkinTas » Fri 02 Jan, 2009 10:15 am

On day trips I carry my camera on my back in a Lowepro sling over my 3L water bladder. I have modified a couple of clips on the front harness so that my tripod clips on my left shoulder and left hip and is carried in front, down my left side - away from my walking stick in my right hand.

When I have the full pack on I have added two straps to the top of the pack so the Lowepro sits behind my head. The tripod is strapped to the side of the pack. I can lift the camera off, or I can drop pack and just walk around with the Lowepro at any good photo op.

There are a few problems with the full pack arrangement. First, the camera in outside of the packs rain cover - tripod is covered. Second, the tripod is hard to unclip. Third, on my recent trip I had to do a lot of bush-bashing and because the camera was higher than my head, I had to duck down further (even crawl) - not always successfully either I might add. The camera was wrapped in a garbage bag, but the bush soon tore that to shreds. Eventually I had to stop and put the camera in my pack, but by then the camera was wet, I was wet and miserable, and anyway I had pretty much given up on the idea of taking another photo.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby lexharris » Fri 02 Jan, 2009 1:31 pm

walkinTas wrote:but by then the camera was wet, I was wet and miserable, and anyway I had pretty much given up on the idea of taking another photo.

I suppose a waterproof camera might be an option. Actually you can get some really interesting shots when it's wet, misty, etc so having the camera out then can pay off. At one stage I considered taking a dive camera, but in practice I find it easy enough to deal with moisture with ordinary cameras. The cordura type camera bag is adequate to keep out the odd spell of light drizzle. If it sets in sufficiently to warrant a jacket then I just drop the camera inside the front of my jacket. The waist belt of my pack prevents it from falling out. You just have to remember to grab the camera before undoing the waist belt - I forgot once and dropped it on the hard wooden platform at Goon Moor and without realising it broke the lens internally. I shot another 6 rolls of Kodachrome all the way up to the summit of Federation Peak and back and was horrified to find later that they were all duds. I had a backup mini camera but forgot to take it out of my pocket when crossing a chest deep Junction Creek on the way back and lost that as well. Photographically it was not a very productive trip.... :(
lexharris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stoogest » Thu 15 Jan, 2009 5:39 pm

I use LowePro Topload (No. 1 I think off the top off my head, the smallest and most basic toploader...about $45). Just sling it over one shoulder and under the opposite armpit with the bag resting at about belly button height. Moves around a little when you walk, but not annoyingly so. Great piece of kit in my opinion!
Photographer and bushwalker
For hiking trails we've completed around the world: Fork and Foot
stoogest
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Pedro » Thu 15 Jan, 2009 7:06 pm

Since I bought my first DSLR, I've just slung it and usually another lens around my neck. I hook the Lowepro case under my shoulder to keep it to one side, but just hook the camera strap directly over my neck.

Carrying Cameras.JPG
DSLR and Zoom Lens in Lowepro cases
Carrying Cameras.JPG (73.71 KiB) Viewed 24049 times

If things get wet, then the extra lens goes into the pack and I just tuck the Lowepro into my parka. If the going gets difficult, first the lens goes into the pack and if it gets tougher still, then the camera goes in out of the way. By default though all the camera gear is out and ready to take pictures.

Photos in the Snow.JPG
Photos in the Snow.JPG (111.02 KiB) Viewed 24049 times

The only time I've had an issue was on Mt Anne. I'd been to the top, only carrying the camera and lens and was on the way down. I had just lowered myself over that slightly tricky bit, where there is a substantial drop immediately behind, when I felt the lens case swing loose. The neck strap had cleverly unhooked itself. I resisted the urge to grab for the lens, which would have meant letting go the rock at the critical moment, and just continued climbing down. It was a second hand lens, after all. Luckily, the strap stayed jammed under the camera case strap and the lens didn't plummet the 15 odd metres to the boulder field below, but if it was a choice between me or the lens, it was the lens that was going down.

All this has become easier since I swapped my original D300 for a D450 - much lighter.
Pedro
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Mickeymoo » Fri 16 Jan, 2009 7:39 am

With my old camera a Canon 400D I just used a lowepro toploader zoom1 I think it was and put the chest strap on the backpack through the belt slot on the carry bag, worked well except it got a bit tricky to see where you are putting your feet on steep downslopes. I upgraded my kit recently and I'v had to upgrade my bag and now use a lowepro AW 75 which comes with its own harness, I haven't been bushwalking with it yet though, so not sure how its going to go, but the idea will be to put the harness on first then the backpack.
Mickeymoo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby the_camera_poser » Fri 16 Jan, 2009 10:34 pm

Michael- that 5D NEEDS to be in the wilderness mate!
the_camera_poser

Postby Mickeymoo » Sat 17 Jan, 2009 6:41 pm

Haha yes I know!! hopefully this long weekend it will get a run.
Mickeymoo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Photography