New Camera Ideas?

Cameras, tripods, techniques, etc.
Forum rules
Please note that the extended image rules for the Gallery forum also apply here.

Re: New Camera Ideas?

Postby wayno » Sat 17 Aug, 2013 4:07 pm

i wasnt walking with it, was using it for work for a one off.... normally it would stay in a pouch attached to a neck strap....

i ended up using it mainly for video and opted to get a video camera to replace it.. cheaper and better fit for purpose. i'm wary of cameras with retractible lenses they all fail eventually and are expensive to fix, when my canon gx fails i'll be getting something with a non retractible lens
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Mark F » Mon 16 Sep, 2013 2:43 pm

My own journey in finding a digital camera that suited my requirements, after carrying a Nikon FE and lenses later a Nikon 995 digital and a desire to go lighter, started with a basic point and shoot (Panasonic FX38). I am a walker who likes photography, not the reverse.

I realised that for the type of photography I enjoy - mainly landscape and macro, I wanted better image quality, a very wide wide angle lens but no need for super zoom, ability to add a polarising filter, as bright a lens as possible and reasonable manual control. I don't need a huge number of pixels as I mainly view on screen. I also want it small enough to fit in a shoulder strap or hip belt pouch.

I transitioned to a Panasonic GX1 4/3 system but found the system aspect somehow interfered with the picture taking, I have now moved on to a Panasonic LX7 and am very happy with it. 24 - 90mm zoom, amazingly bright F1.4 -2.3 lens, you can leave a polarising or UV filter on the lens and has a built in ND filter. Good manual controls. Just wish it was 100 grams lighter than the 310g. It also has the ability to shoot in 4 image ratios from 1:1 to 16:9.

No I am not a Panasonic evangelist - it just happened this way.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 16 Sep, 2013 3:27 pm

So hard! Once upon a time, big and small cameras can all use the same 35mm film of whatever quality and speed. Now, bigger sensor comes in bigger cameras. No way around it if one cares for that big sensor quality. Question is, what quality is sufficient?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Bubbalouie » Mon 16 Sep, 2013 4:32 pm

I recently purchased an rx100 and a filter kit for it. It has a good selection of manual options and decent auto modes. It also has one of the biggest sensors of any pocket camera.

I've found due to its smaller size it is used more often than my girlfriend's DSLR.
Bubbalouie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Mon 16 Sep, 2013 5:44 pm

I to used to always carry a full DSLR setup with me, including Canon 30D, Twin Head macro flash, Macro lens etc, etc.

Today, I want a camera I can just point and shoot. I don't want to play around to much with settings, lens etc. I used to be a freelance photographer. I'm over carrying all that gear.

I'm in the market for a new point and shoot camera and I love the specs on the Olympus Tough TG-2. I can pick one up online for 311:00
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Queensland

Previous

Return to Photography