The 7 Best Outdoor Cameras

Cameras, tripods, techniques, etc.
Forum rules
Please note that the extended image rules for the Gallery forum also apply here.

The 7 Best Outdoor Cameras

Postby wayno » Thu 20 Sep, 2012 5:37 am

Be it water, dings, or dust, these durable point-and-shoots brave the elements and snap incredible pictures
http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-ge ... 20815.html
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Re: The 7 Best Outdoor Cameras

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Thu 20 Sep, 2012 6:52 am

Good to see they've got the GoPro Hero 2 In that list. Ive got the mentioned wifi bacpac, at this stage streaming the footage to your mobile phone is not yet released. The app was supposed to be released some 6 months ago, but for some reason theres been a major delay.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Queensland

Postby wayno » Thu 20 Sep, 2012 6:59 am

saw a video recently of a go pro, it's case was knocked open and the camera fell out as the owner skydived out of a plane... the footage was of the camera spinning on it's descent and hitting the ground, it kept on videoing after it hit the ground, it didnt even falter.
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Thu 20 Sep, 2012 5:44 pm

Hi Wayno

Interesting list and like any list of the "best" there will be disagreement. I have the older Canon D10 and brought the Fuji lower model for niece and nephew and can not say they lived up to the hype. Surprised that the "classic" Panasonic FT4 (I have the three) was not included. Of all the so called tough cameras that in my experience compromises the least on picture quality but things can change. General experience with the Canon and FT3 is they need bright days to get the best out of them. Disparaged the Canon D10 until brother took it to the Philippians and over there on the bright sunny days on the beach it turned in some impressive photographs. The FT3 manages low light better but this is the rub. In Tassie when you use a waterproof camera it is generally poor light resulting in average photo quality. Use a waterproof camera on the beach during summer and heck they can deliver some impressive results.

Cheers
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby wayno » Thu 20 Sep, 2012 5:51 pm

i've got an old "tough" i just use it as a backup camera when its too wet to shoot and theres a pic i really want, usuallly just to give an impression of the rain, also shot some video with it again to show bad weather conditions... problem ws i didnt know i had it on the lowest video setting on the routeburn.... pretty rough....
all the videos named pc are done with the tough http://www.youtube.com/user/waynowski/v ... rid&view=0
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Photography