Dealing with mould

Cameras, tripods, techniques, etc.
Forum rules
Please note that the extended image rules for the Gallery forum also apply here.

Dealing with mould

Postby phan_TOM » Thu 07 Jun, 2012 10:38 am

I've been using my camera in misty/rainy weather a lot recently and whilst giving my camera and lenses some tlc yesterday I noticed a few very small specks inside the front element which I'm fairly certain are mould. I'm wondering how you go about, firstly, keeping the stuff at bay and secondly, getting the stuff removed?

I always do my best at drying my camera and lens after it's been used in wet weather and in cool dry weather when I know the humidity is low I spread all my gear out on a table to give it a good chance to dry out.

I also keep dessicant packets in my camera bag but I fear that they just havent been replaced often enough with all this rain & humidity (which is no doubt why I have this problem), how often do you replace these or tell when the current ones are no longer doing their job? I must admit the ones that are in there don't feel quite as crunchy as they should and havent been replaced for a few of months... Any idea where is a good source of replacement of these packets?

For fixing it before the mould gets any bigger or causes damage to the glass and as I don't really want to open up the lens and try to clean it myself I guess it will have to go off to a licensed repairer, have you used someone that you would be happy to recommend?

any information or advice appreciated

Its a nice soft diffused light on rainy days which is great for photos, pity its so bad for camera equpiment...

Upper-Coopers-Creek-1.jpg
Upper-Coopers-Creek-1.jpg (132.32 KiB) Viewed 9619 times

Upper-Coopers-Creek-2.jpg
Upper-Coopers-Creek-2.jpg (136.36 KiB) Viewed 9619 times

Upper-Coopers-Creek-3.jpg
Upper-Coopers-Creek-3.jpg (161.51 KiB) Viewed 9619 times
ALWAYS be yourself.
Unless you can be outside, then ALWAYS be outside.
phan_TOM
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Re: Dealing with mould

Postby Pteropus » Thu 07 Jun, 2012 11:13 am

Hi Tom,

When I did a photography course many years ago they mentioned that mould was one of the worst enemies of the lens. They recommended keeping the lenses in a sealed cupboard or box with a tub of desiccant. Apparently you can buy larger wholesale amounts of desiccant powder.

I don't normally have mine sealed but I did buy a few products from this mob -> http://www.silicagel.com.au/ <- and keep my camera in with the re-usable desiccant...but I am pretty slack when it comes to drying the desiccant out in the oven.

Cheers
Andrew
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australia

Postby photohiker » Thu 07 Jun, 2012 11:27 am

What sort of camera is it?

Any decent camera tech should be able to remove the front element and clean it up for you. I think it's important not to leave it too long though.

I've spent lots of time in similar circumstances and maybe I'm lucky because no mould here...
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby phan_TOM » Thu 07 Jun, 2012 12:37 pm

Pteropus wrote:They recommended keeping the lenses in a sealed cupboard or box with a tub of desiccant...I did buy a few products from this mob -> http://www.silicagel.com.au/ <- and keep my camera in with the re-usable desiccant...

Thanks Andrew, that stuff looks like just the ticket. I normally keep my camera in a Lowepro Nova AW bag inside a cupboard in my office but I think I will buy a small plastic box with a well sealing lid and keep one of these in it with my camera gear. Less than $10 for something that is reusable and has a lifetime warranty to protect a couple thousand dollars of camera gear, not a hard decision really & I'll lash out and spend another $10 on a packet of desicant satchels for the camera bag while I'm at it.

photohiker wrote:What sort of camera is it?

A Canon 40D which has some weathersealing but It hasn't got anything like the protection offered by some pro bodies. The camera seems fine so far, its just the cheap lens thats the problem... I better start investing in lots and lots of L glass :D and in the meantime get the lens serviced before the fungus starts consuming the coatings on the glass...

photohiker wrote:I've spent lots of time in similar circumstances and maybe I'm lucky because no mould here...

:P
ALWAYS be yourself.
phan_TOM

Postby Pteropus » Thu 07 Jun, 2012 1:53 pm

phan_TOM wrote: ...I will buy a small plastic box with a well sealing lid and keep one of these in it with my camera gear. Less than $10 for something that is reusable and has a lifetime warranty to protect a couple thousand dollars of camera gear, not a hard decision really & I'll lash out and spend another $10 on a packet of desicant satchels for the camera bag while I'm at it.

Yeah mate, I bought one of those and coz it only weighs a few grams it sits in the drybag with my camera when I am hiking. I should probably put it through the oven every now and then to dry it out...
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australia

Silica Gel

Postby phan_TOM » Thu 07 Jun, 2012 3:30 pm

I've ordered one for at home and one for my camera bag. Thanks again & I take back all the bad things I've said about you Andrew :wink:
ALWAYS be yourself.
phan_TOM

Return to Photography