Garmin GPS choices to make

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Postby zarb » Fri 13 Apr, 2012 7:17 pm

Hi all,

I am a climber/explorer/ski tourer/mountaineer and am looking at getting a GPS from Garmin to aid in my endeavours.
It will mainly be used to double check positions and altitude, mark descent routes with waypoints on the way up, and to plot emergency waypoints in the event of whiteouts in bad weather in the snow. Apart from those roles, I will mainly be travelling using the good ol' map and compass. I also want the GPS to be usable all around the world, and in cold, wet conditions.

I have narrowed my choices down to the eTrex20 and the GPSMAP62. I have compared the specs and from what I can gather the two are not very different. Why then is the price so different between the two?

Any advice is appreciated!
zarb
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Ent » Fri 13 Apr, 2012 7:54 pm

Hi

I have the Garmin 62s and it can do all you request but has a dog of an interface. The cost increase comes from handling maps and the color screen plus three axis compass along with better antenna Check out the Oregon range. Better user interface especially for marking and naming way points.

The best thing is to see and use one in the field.

Cheers

Ps

Check the feature list out as an inbuilt altimeter would be useful for your intended use. Units that rely solely satellite positioning are not very accurate as the GPS system is not designed for accurate altitude tracking.
Last edited by Ent on Fri 13 Apr, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Garmin GPS choices to make

Postby zarb » Fri 13 Apr, 2012 8:01 pm

Thanks,

I had a look at the Oregon, but it is more than I want to spend on a GPS. I would not get anything more expensive than the GPSMAP62 (not the S). If there is not much difference between the 62 and the eTrex, I will go with the lighter unit (being the eTrex).
zarb
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Ent » Fri 13 Apr, 2012 8:19 pm

Hi

Note my ps to the first comment. Basically the feature list is important as a basic Etrex is exactly that. You pay a lot for say the 62s simply because it works getting a position when more than few do not.

Given your intended use I would not skimp as the basic Etrex might give you a position rather different to the true position depending on a clear view of the sky. It all depends on how precise you need to be.

The 62s works quite well in areas with not a clear view of the sky but is still not perfect.

I had an Etrex to begin with and learnt a bit so you could spend the smaller amount and see if it does what you want but likely will find you upgrade quickly. Or at least that what I did.

Cheers
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby zarb » Fri 13 Apr, 2012 8:24 pm

Would you then recommend the eTrex30? That has a altimeter, and is about $350.
zarb
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Ent » Fri 13 Apr, 2012 9:36 pm

Um? I am not familiar with that model so have no real idea or recommendation. I had the very basic model and then went to the 62S. The 62S can be had for around $100 more. I get the feeling that a lot of GPS are brought and then under used as people struggle to come to terms with them. They are one item that having a good play with in the real world is a great idea. Things such as using with gloves, battery type and life can make or break a unit. Also the interface can drive a sane person insane on more than a few. Also something as simple as were you carry it. Buried in a pack is a safe place but not accessible. Using the 62S as an example it is not small but can be clip to a strap but then the screen could be vulnerable.

Also with recommendations even with the 62S I would struggle. Great hardware lousy software. So how do you call that? A braver man than me is needed to say what is good or not in this area.

Beg borrow or "steal" for a trial run. You might find that the whole idea is not what you want but then again might find it great. Of all the GPS carried I have seen, only one person I know actually uses it well.

Sorry if I am not been much help but I love and hate mine so you will get differing views depending on the time day from me.

Cheers
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tastrax » Sat 14 Apr, 2012 3:14 pm

Head to this page and it will show you the difference between units - not a lot in it

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do? ... duct=87771
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby photohiker » Sat 14 Apr, 2012 3:49 pm

zarb wrote:Would you then recommend the eTrex30? That has a altimeter, and is about $350.

You might ask Phan_Tom - he has one and was looking for info on it a short while ago:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8111&p=108116&hilit=etrex+30#p108099

For your use, I'd tend towards the Etrex 30 as it has the barometer and compass built in at a cost of some screen size. Otherwise, there does not appear to be a lot of difference other than size and flotation between the 62 and the Etrex
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby phan_TOM » Mon 16 Apr, 2012 12:34 pm

I just had a look at that comparison page and they do seem pretty similar. The only real benefits I see is the Etrex 30 has longer battery life, is smaller/lighter and costs $319 compared to $445 for the 62s (from johnny appleseed GPS).

I've been really happy with mine, heres some pros and cons from my experience so far

Good
- GPS are great in the field but I love looking at the tracks later on at home on my PC, I don't know exactly why but I do.
- gets a fix really fast and will sit on 3m accuracy all day. Accuracy is good under dense cover, in valleys and worked fine in a narrow gorge a few months ago.
- acquires a large number of satellites. Don't know why this necessarily that good but gives me confidence that I am getting a good fix.
- the screen is small but easily readable and no probs in bright sunlight
- has a barometric altimeter which seems spot on when comparing to the topo. Its interesting looking at the plot later and seeing the horizontal and vertical track
- does everything and more than I need (area calc, sunrise/sunset, etc etc)
- the interface is easy to learn and use & it has room for a fair amount of customisation. I only have a few pages turned on so that I don't have to scroll through a dozen different pages every time I want to go to a cetain one. You can easily add data fields to the different pages eg altitude, course, speed etc on the map page which saves a lot of scrolling.
- very straight forward to save tracks/waypoints etc but its a bit laborious typing in the name as you have to move the little joystick and then press it for each letter and it can be a bit finicky. But it doesn't bother me, thats just being picky.

cons
- batteries drain if left in the unit ( I don't know if thats just the way it is with all devices or if there is a setting enabled that draws power while the unit is off eg updating its position data so it can get a fix more quickly when its turned back on?). Lesson learned but it was annoying to get to the start of walk that I was keen to plot and then having the unit die after less than a minute. I had charged the batteries 2 weeks prior and left them in the GPS and the spares were back at the camp too far away.
- the 3-axis compass needs to be calibrated every now and then or it seems to jump around and give spurious readings. Very easy and quick to calibrate though & I just remember to do it whenever I remember to do it or it starts behaving strangely.
- hmmm, the only other bad thing is how slow it is to load custom maps. I made a few custom maps and loaded them on and thought that it wasn't working but its just really really slow to load them. When they do load and you use the joystick to move the cursor its reall really slow to catch up... I have given up on custom maps as I nearly always have the topo with me and I have since loaded shonky and the contours aust. maps which I'm more than happy with.

woollool-wooloolni-gps-trac.jpg
a snippet of the most interesting part of a recent walk
ALWAYS be yourself.
Unless you can be outside, then ALWAYS be outside.
phan_TOM
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby sthughes » Mon 16 Apr, 2012 3:55 pm

I'd get an eTrex 30. The only real benifit of the 62 is the antenna, but from my experience all the newer Garmin sensors are pretty good anyway, and the eTrex has GLONASS which the 62 doesn't, so that should make up for it a bit too.
The eTrex 20 is good too, but I'd spend a little extra for the compass etc as it is handy that it points which way even when you aren't moving.

Also the 62 does have a horrid UI. Probably ok if you use it regularly enough but not intuitive to an occasional user. So the eTrex would have to be easier to use.

Actually given the eTrex 30 is cheaper than a 62 I think it's a no brainer. Either eTrex 20 or if you can then strech to the eTrex 30.

Personally I'll continue to use my iPhone for a mapping GPS and if I wan't to record tracks use my old eTrex Venture Hc in the top of my pack (or take a mate with a 62s and let him record things). :wink:
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Tue 17 Apr, 2012 7:37 am

The CSX 60 is basically exactly the same as the 62, but has a much better UI. And probably a damn lot cheaper than the 62.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby gayet » Tue 17 Apr, 2012 8:50 am

I note the CSX 60 can use different maps etc via SD card, but being completely ignorant of these things, can it also track and record routes etc? I am considering getting something that will let me know where I went so I can get out again......
gayet

Region: Victoria

Postby photohiker » Tue 17 Apr, 2012 10:53 am

gayet wrote:I note the CSX 60 can use different maps etc via SD card, but being completely ignorant of these things, can it also track and record routes etc? I am considering getting something that will let me know where I went so I can get out again......

Hey Gaye,

Any of the GPS receivers mentioned in this thread can do that. Basically, once you set up tracking to the SD card on a Garmin GPSr, it will record a daily track that can be viewed and saved on your computer. Mapping makes these devices a lot more useful in the field, I wouldn't bother with a non-mapping GPS these days.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Tue 17 Apr, 2012 11:55 am

gayet wrote:I note the CSX 60 can use different maps etc via SD card, but being completely ignorant of these things, can it also track and record routes etc? I am considering getting something that will let me know where I went so I can get out again......

Yes that's right.

It's a fantastic unit, especially for the off track stuff we do, as it always has a strong signal even in forests and thick scrub. Many a time i've been with others who's unit has no signal, while me and my fellow 60csx users have good strength signals.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby gayet » Tue 17 Apr, 2012 12:43 pm

Thanks Michael and ILUV.
From the previous posts I had a look and found a 60CSX that might come in at a reasonable price - being a discontinued version.... It has Aus and NZ topos on SD, so it sounds like it may be OK for an ignoramous such as myself. Just a pity it doesn't have PLB functionality as well, but then I am asking too much!

Again thanks.
gayet

Postby bmak » Tue 17 Apr, 2012 12:56 pm

I chose the 60 over the 62.
The 60 was well known as a reliable unit and does everything its supposed to do well. Accurate signal and barometer were on the priority list for me
bmak
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Tue 17 Apr, 2012 1:01 pm

bmak wrote:I chose the 60 over the 62.
The 60 was well known as a reliable unit and does everything its supposed to do well. Accurate signal and barometer were on the priority list for me

you chose wisely ;-)
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby dancier » Wed 25 Apr, 2012 4:06 pm

I've got an Etrex 20 and Iphone 4s, both great pieces of kit but they both have limitations. Don't buy anything that can't take custom maps unless it's a bargin. If you like calibrating compasses, buy the Etrex 30 but I wouldn't bother, I'd take a manual compass.

Learn how to make custom maps and you'll never look back but remember the Garmin has a 100 tile limit unless you use the JNX format, the IPhone is limited by the battery life but the ability to zoom and move around the map is a winner for me so I take both along with each having the same custom map onboard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlgtE8AL ... re=related
dancier
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby phan_TOM » Thu 26 Apr, 2012 2:41 pm

I just downloaded the firmware update for the etrex 30 which should fix the compass issue as well as a few other things but yeah, a gps never replaces an actual compass.

I guess the problem with buying a new piece of kit as opposed to a tried and tested one is most of the bugs have been sorted out with the older models, thats the risk you take I guess, mind you the 30 has been almost faultless so far. I did consider the 20 but for a bit extra you get the barometric altimeter which was essential for me, so an easy choice really.
ALWAYS be yourself.
phan_TOM

Postby phan_TOM » Mon 21 May, 2012 12:59 pm

After recently reading up about gps compass calibration I discovered some interesting information, something that I would have known had I read the manual to start with :roll: (Manuals schmanuals...) Apparently all compass capable gps's need to have the compass calibrated every time the batteries are replaced, after moving large distances (not sure what they classify as a large distance?) or after experiencing large temperature changes. Its on the websites and manuals for etrex 30, vista, gpsmap 60/70/78, magellan meridian etc etc. I use my mine for work roughly once a week and bushwalking a few times month so only put the batteries in when I'm going to use it which would explain why it needs to be calibrated so often...
ALWAYS be yourself.
phan_TOM

Return to Techno-Babble